Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 12,667 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

My Dad lives in Erin, TN and my family and I visited him a few weeks ago. We fell in love with the town and surrounding area. The relaxed atmosphere and slower pace suited us well for the week we visited. After much discussion, we are wanting, hoping, and praying to move south as soon as possible.

We are currently living in Maryland. My Dad has found us a rental for the time being which is completely affordable for us and is only a short distance from his residence. The husband has a potential job lined up as a regional truck driver. So what's the beef?

I am finding it very difficult to get a job. I am currently a government employee and have over 10 years experience as a Management Analyst for the Department of the Navy/United States Government. I've applied feverishly for the past couple of months to all local contracting jobs (Westar, ARINC, etc.) and to several positions located on Fort Campbell. All of this has resulted in many calls from local companies (DC, Maryland and Virginia) but nothing from the Tenessee area. The relocation may have to be put on hold until I find something, unless I can take a leave of absence for six months from my current position which would give me time to look in the Clarksville area.

So I'm wondering if you have to know someone to help get into those sort of jobs. It's sort of like that in the area I reside now. Also, if anyone has any advice, lessons learned or possible job leads that they could pass on to me, that would be great!

Frustrated in MD but looking for help,
B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 12:26 PM

35,916 posts, read 30,469,451 times
One reason much of TN has remained rural and quaint is the lack of job opportunities. Growing up, many of the people I went to high school/college with had to move out of the area to find work. The same was true for my parents generation.
Yes there is a good ol boy system in most places.
Im still amazed that people moving to TN are shocked because they cant find work.
Good luck.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 PM

11,012 posts, read 17,385,947 times
I take it you're talking about a federal job. My wife retired from the AER office at Ft. Campbell a year ago June. Just showed her your thread and she said to tell you to get your resume online. Then check the jobs, and, when you find something you're interested in, self nominate yourself. She said being a federal employee you should know how to do that. You also might want to keep an eye out on other federal jobs outside the military. Right before she retired she had a chance for an office job with the USDA office. Good luck from both of us.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 12,667 times
Thanks for the advice and responses.

We are excited about the possibility of relocating, and as I mentioned before, loved the Erin/Clarksville area. I'm just worried about finding a job, and after reading other threads, I see there are many others also looking for employment.

How far of a commute from Clarksville is Nashville? With gas prices, not sure if the commute would be worth it but it may open up other possibilities as far as employment. Erin is already a good 35 miles from Clarksville and I believe Nashville may be 80 miles from Clarksville (but don't quote me)?

kygman - Appreciate the advice! I've applied online and self nominated myself for several positions. Some jobs have already been filled but for the others, I will just have to wait and see what happens. I don't want to leave Federal Service, but will go to a Contractor if necessary (I was a Government contractor for many years before getting into Federal Service).

Thanks,
B

Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 AM

11,012 posts, read 17,385,947 times
Hey, Jumbers, I sent you a direct message on here. There is a job opening listed on USA jobs for Ft. Campbell. Deadline is July 18.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:14 PM

6 posts, read 17,406 times
Jobs do tend to tighten up on Ft. Campbell when the troops are deployed. I now of several recent layoffs. However, 14,000 troops are due back in September. You may have better luck finding something then. My girls denist is in Erin and we try to go to the Irish Days festival annually in March. Plus, my wife has family all around this region. I live in Cunningham. I hope everything works out for you. You will love Erin it is just beautiful country.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,951 times
Hi, We currently live in MD and are also looking to relocate to the Clarksville area. I am originally from TN and my husband and I are both teachers looking to continue in education. Saw you thread and was wondering if you've moved and how the job outlook is going. Feel free to email me

Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 AM

204 posts, read 872,913 times
Jumbers, expand your search to encompass the Nashville area on usa.gov - there are many government jobs in the area and not all on Fort Campbell. Let me know if you need any assistance.

kfst512, Clarksville is always looking for educators - we have a couple new schools being built as we speak. Clarksville-Montgomery County Schools (http://www.cmcss.net/index.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: