Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:36 AM

30 posts, read 211,787 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving from Oregon on the Left Coast to a nice, quiet rural area, within about 10-20 miles of a med sized (25,000) city, but would like an area with larger hills or preferrably mountains, forest, and less humidity if possible. I know that east of Knoxville would be perfect, but prefer to be within 50 miles or so of Nashville if possible.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 12:54 AM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleriver View Post
We are considering moving from Oregon on the Left Coast to a nice, quiet rural area, within about 10-20 miles of a med sized (25,000) city, but would like an area with larger hills or preferrably mountains, forest, and less humidity if possible. I know that east of Knoxville would be perfect, but prefer to be within 50 miles or so of Nashville if possible.

Any suggestions?
Sounds like you wanna live out my way.Can't help you with the heat though,it's hot and humid in TN about anywhere.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Sounds like you wanna live out my way.Can't help you with the heat though,it's hot and humid in TN about anywhere.
You got mountains??

Old 07-14-2008, 01:14 AM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
Quote:
You got mountains??

We have what y'all call hills from what a friend told me from your neck of the woods. He said they farm hills we call mountains

But yes, it's very hilly and alot of farms are pretty steep.There's not alot of flat ground here.

And you can drive anything that you can get to start and run, there is no inspections ( no marta ) on cars out here like bigger towns.Also, tags for your car is less than 27.00 a year.

Last edited by RS-1080; 07-14-2008 at 01:27 AM..

Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM

317 posts, read 1,230,731 times
While we do have nice rolling hills in Middle Tennessee, you'll need to go further East, where you'd live much closer to Knoxville (than Nashville) to find mountains. Oregon is one of the places i have not yet gotten the opportunity to visit, but it looks breathtakingly beautiful from pictures.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
Have you thought about Cookeville? It's about an hour and 15 minute drive from Nashville. Not a lot of big hills though, like a previous poster said, you would probably need to go a little further east. Chattanooga is in between Knoxville and Nashville and has mountains and is very beautiful but it a little over two hour drive to Nashville.

Cookeville, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by yank283; 07-14-2008 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 11:57 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
Have you thought about Cookeville? It's about an hour and 15 minute drive from Nashville. Not a lot of big hills though, like a previous poster said, you would probably need to go a little further east. Chattanooga is in between Knoxville and Nashville and has mountains and is very beautiful but it a little over two hour drive to Nashville.

Cookeville, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cookeville and Crossville don't have mountains, but they are generally a bit less humid than Nashville, particularly Crossville since Crossville is on top of the Cumberland Plateau (Cookeville is about 2/3 up the plateau). In general, Cookeville and Crossville have similar temperatures as some of the towns in East Tennessee's mountains although in the dog days of summer all of Tennessee is pretty hot and muggy except way up on top of the Smoky Mountains.

Here are some pics of the "mountains" in the Cookeville area:

Poplar Grove (southeast of town)

Downtown Cookeville with Buck Mountain in the distance

Cordell Hull Lake

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 03:57 PM

334 posts, read 1,281,987 times
I like Cookeville but I also like Kingston, though it's closer to Knoxville. Kingston has a nice waterfront area there.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 PM

Thanks ya'll (how do you say that, again? lol I'm tryin' to learn to fit in...hahaha) for all the input! I will check out the cities mentioned, especially cookeville and crossville (lots of '-villes' there aren't there?) Anyway, the pics were great, the rolling hills are just what I was looking for. We do farm those here!! lol I love the look of the hills with the golden wheat or oats waving in the fall. Many are cut now, and it is so pretty with the big golden patches among the green, nestled into the mountains. We do a lot of grain, grass seed, mint and many other crops here. I have hay fever bad, but wouldn't live in the city for anything!!

How are the local property taxes in the places you mentioned? Is the sales tax of 9.75% (whew!!) all over TN? We don't have sales tax here but the income tax will kill ya.

Thanks again for all your help!! You guys are great!!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Thanks ya'll (how do you say that, again? lol I'm tryin' to learn to fit in...hahaha) for all the input! I will check out the cities mentioned, especially cookeville and crossville (lots of '-villes' there aren't there?) Anyway, the pics were great, the rolling hills are just what I was looking for. We do farm those here!! lol I love the look of the hills with the golden wheat or oats waving in the fall. Many are cut now, and it is so pretty with the big golden patches among the green, nestled into the mountains. We do a lot of grain, grass seed, mint and many other crops here. I have hay fever bad, but wouldn't live in the city for anything!!

How are the local property taxes in the places you mentioned? Is the sales tax of 9.75% (whew!!) all over TN? We don't have sales tax here but the income tax will kill ya.

Thanks again for all your help!! You guys are great!!
I'm glad you liked the pics! I've lived all over the world and think Tennessee has some beautiful countryside. Like you, I also like the gently rolling hills, particularly up on the Cumberland Plateau because the weather is generally a bit cooler and less humid there than in Nashville and the western half of the state.

You can look on a map and see other small towns around Cookeville and Crossville that you might want to investigate. But if you're looking to be within an hour or so of the Nashville airport, Cookeville might be about as far east as you should look. Putnam County (Cookeville) also has, by far, the best school system in that part of the state. Having a mid-major university in town is a big advantage.

Yes Tennessee has a rather high sales tax although it's slightly less for grocery items. But not having a state income tax is WONDERFUL. I'd much prefer to keep my entire paycheck and then pay a sales tax because that puts me in control of how much I pay in taxes.

At any rate, property taxes in Tennessee vary quite a bit from place to place. Here's where you can check out every property tax rate for every county and town in the state:

TN Comptroller of the Treasury - Division of Property Assessments - 2007 Property Tax Rates (http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/PAnew/LR.asp?W=07 - broken link)

The rates are per $100 of assessed value. The assessed value is 25% of the actual value. So let's say you paid $200,000 for land in rural Putnam County; the assessed value would be $50,000. The property tax rate is $2.57. Multiply $2.57 x $500 ($50,000 divided by $100), giving you an annual property tax of $1285.

Here are some pics from Google Images of more areas in that part of the state:

Cookeville City Lake:

A couple of Putnam County scenes:

http://www.putnamcountytn.gov/photos/albums/community2/normal_DCP_5155.jpg (broken link)

Burgess Falls (just south of Cookeville):

http://www.wadih-ghsoubi.com/Nature/1/original/Burgess%20Falls%20in%20Early%20Spring,%20Tennessee .jpg (broken link)

White Plains (just east of Cookeville):

Cumberland Cove (between Cookeville and Crossville):

Jackson County (just NW of Cookeville):

Center Hill Lake (between Cookeville and Nashville):

Fall Creek Falls (between Cookeville and Chattanooga):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville