Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Tennessee: Madison, realtors, safe area, buy a house, cost of living.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:14 PM

9 posts, read 39,119 times

Advertisements

I read through the Threads and Blogs everyday. I see a lot of people talking about Antioch, Brentwood, Murfreesboro, etc, etc etc...
I NEVER read anything about Madison. Did I make a mistake deciding to move there? Is it some forbidden town that no one lives in Madison?
Or am I just anxiety ridden b/c I'm picking up my ENTIRE life & moving to Tennessee in less than 2 week?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 03:43 PM

334 posts, read 1,281,987 times
Madison is a topic that has been addressed several times here. Do a search on the bar above and you'll find many opinions. It's just like realtors say "location, location, location". Some love it, some don't.

I personally lived in Madison, oh 'bout..close to 30 years ago in Sealy Apartments. First time to move out with friends in the late 70's. One got the bedroom, one got the couch and I slept on the balcony. Would I do that NOW in Madison? Never. But then, that WAS a much different day and time.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:37 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Like any town, it depends where in Madison you live.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:24 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,429 times
The rule of thumb up and down Gallatin Pike -- not just Madison -- is that the farther you get from there, the better the neighborhoods are (though there are exceptions). Generally, they get better more quickly heading west than east. By the time you get around Graycroft the neighborhoods are very nice. We're a little bit further away, on the other side of 65, and consider our neighborhood stable and safe. We have a house we can afford, and which has appreciated in value.

Some people seem to think that Rivergate is somehow representative of Madison. Our neighborhood is about five miles away from there, which is about as far as the Hendersonville Target is from Rivergate. Rivergate is not Madison, just like Gallatin Pike is not Madison.

I can't speak for other areas, especially Neely's Bend, since we never get out that way.

But that's the lowdown as I see it, after living here almost six years. We like it here, and have no plans to move. We're close to the city and all its amenities, but we got more house for our money. For those reasons and more, we're very happy in Madison.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
The rule of thumb up and down Gallatin Pike -- not just Madison -- is that the farther you get from there, the better the neighborhoods are (though there are exceptions). Generally, they get better more quickly heading west than east. By the time you get around Graycroft the neighborhoods are very nice. We're a little bit further away, on the other side of 65, and consider our neighborhood stable and safe. We have a house we can afford, and which has appreciated in value.

Some people seem to think that Rivergate is somehow representative of Madison. Our neighborhood is about five miles away from there, which is about as far as the Hendersonville Target is from Rivergate. Rivergate is not Madison, just like Gallatin Pike is not Madison.

I can't speak for other areas, especially Neely's Bend, since we never get out that way.

But that's the lowdown as I see it, after living here almost six years. We like it here, and have no plans to move. We're close to the city and all its amenities, but we got more house for our money. For those reasons and more, we're very happy in Madison.
I live in East Nashville and that is not the case at all regarding Gallatin Pike. I hope your only speaking of Madison. The beginning of Gallatin Pike starts near Five Points which has some really nice houses and lots of nice retail and restraints (Not necessarily on Gallatin although there is Marche which is right where Main Street turn to Gallatin). You can't judge the surrounding neighborhoods in East Nashville by comparing how particular nice or rough a corresponding section of Gallatin Pike is. There are some burned down vacant properties that lie next to Eastwood Neighbors that have really nice renovated houses and have under gone extensive renewal. I guess this is just a result of rapid gentrification. I believe we all (East Nashville, Inglewood, and Madison) wish Gallatin Road wasn't our ugly little step brother over here. Hopefully the Gallatin Specific rezoning ordinance will help turn it around but I believe it will take considerable time.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:01 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
I live in East Nashville and that is not the case at all regarding Gallatin Pike. I hope your only speaking of Madison.
That's why I wrote "though there are exceptions"

East Nashville is changing so rapidly it's hard to keep up anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
The beginning of Gallatin Pike starts near Five Points which has some really nice houses and lots of nice retail and restraints (Not necessarily on Gallatin although there is Marche which is right where Main Street turn to Gallatin). You can't judge the surrounding neighborhoods in East Nashville by comparing how particular nice or rough a corresponding section of Gallatin Pike is. There are some burned down vacant properties that lie next to Eastwood Neighbors that have really nice renovated houses and have under gone extensive renewal. I guess this is just a result of rapid gentrification. I believe we all (East Nashville, Inglewood, and Madison) wish Gallatin Road wasn't our ugly little step brother over here. Hopefully the Gallatin Specific rezoning ordinance will help turn it around but I believe it will take considerable time.
If the city would make Gallatin Pike a priority, probably 90% of the problems through this corridor would be eliminated. This is one of the problems with being part of Metro, rather than having local governments -- the city pours money into more politically connected parts of town, while putting the rest of us on a back burner. Metro's finally paying some attention to East Nashville, now that gentrification is finally taking hold. There are probably some efficiencies in being able to combine some services, but priorities get skewed because of the politics.

But back to Gallatin Pike -- I gave a very general rule of thumb, but there are plenty of exceptions to it. The point I think we can all agree on, though, is that there are some really great neighborhoods that many write off because they think Gallatin Pike is representative of the cities that it runs through.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
That's why I wrote "though there are exceptions"

East Nashville is changing so rapidly it's hard to keep up anymore.

If the city would make Gallatin Pike a priority, probably 90% of the problems through this corridor would be eliminated. This is one of the problems with being part of Metro, rather than having local governments -- the city pours money into more politically connected parts of town, while putting the rest of us on a back burner. Metro's finally paying some attention to East Nashville, now that gentrification is finally taking hold. There are probably some efficiencies in being able to combine some services, but priorities get skewed because of the politics.

But back to Gallatin Pike -- I gave a very general rule of thumb, but there are plenty of exceptions to it. The point I think we can all agree on, though, is that there are some really great neighborhoods that many write off because they think Gallatin Pike is representative of the cities that it runs through.
Meant to say restaurants not "restraints" above (dang spell checker). Agreed. To a lesser extent it would be like judging Sylvan Park on Charlotte Pike which would be ludicrous at this stage. As far as pouring money into more politically connected parts of town (cough cough, Brentwood, cough Hillsborough Village, West End/Nashville...) you are completely correct. I suppose this is like that in every major city but it's a real shame.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 AM
kmw

25 posts, read 155,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone_bone25 View Post
I read through the Threads and Blogs everyday. I see a lot of people talking about Antioch, Brentwood, Murfreesboro, etc, etc etc...
I NEVER read anything about Madison. Did I make a mistake deciding to move there? Is it some forbidden town that no one lives in Madison?
Or am I just anxiety ridden b/c I'm picking up my ENTIRE life & moving to Tennessee in less than 2 week?!?

I moved to Madison from CA about 4 years ago. I stayed with friends for a few months and when we decided to buy a house, we also decided to stay in Madison. I am perfectly happy here. I'm in the N. Graycroft area in a small brick ranch, almost to the Goodlettesville border. I love the large, private yards full of mature trees and the affordability. Madison is also just about 10 miles from downtown Nashville, which is quite convenient and with gas prices rising, it's one of the closest suburbs if you happen to work in Nashville. It's also convienient to the interstates, Briley Parkway, Old Hickory Lake, and lots of shopping and restaurants at Rivergate.
I work with someone who moved away from Madison, misses it, and is moving back.
Are you buying or renting?
Good luck with the move, and welcome!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 39,119 times
I'm renting in Madison. I'll be living at Bristol Park.
I'm at a point where I'm ready to buy. I've lived in Milwaukee the last three years and have been saving up for a down payment (real estate here is ridiculously astronomical). When I saw the price differential in Nashville I was SO READY to buy. But I'm coming down for grad school and don't know how long I'll be in the area. Also, with classes I don't know what kind of job I'll end up getting thus not so sure what kind of income I'll be bringing in. So, it sucks, but I will be renting once again.

It sounds like you all had some positive things to say about Madison! I just remember driving down Gallatin Pike and thinking it was a bit dumpy and run-down in certain areas. Nonetheless, I'm feeling good about this all. You should see some of the crack-ho neighborhoods I lived in while in Milwaukee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville