Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:35 AM

19 posts, read 81,217 times

Advertisements

hi i am a 17 year old musician, singer/songwriter you could say. im starting to get planning on moving out and im considering either los angeles or nashville right now. i have visited l.a. and never seen nashville. any advice or information on nashville (or l.a.) like living cost, music scene, jobs, and really anything that comes to mind would be extremely helpfull, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 06:29 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
I was offered a music job in LA before we moved here. Decided it wasn't for us. Then it was down to Austin or Nashville. After spending a little time in both, and writing here a bit, it was an easy decision. It's been 7 years and NO regrets.

For us, the LA traffic was an issue, as was the enormous difference in the cost of living. I find Nashville to be much more welcoming, friendly.

There's a saying the music industry- In LA, we can work together, and maybe one day become friends. In Nashville, we can become friends, and maybe one day work together. It really is a town built on relationships. Personally, I like that.

Good luck, wherever you choose.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:43 AM

250 posts, read 1,014,607 times
very well said, AKM4!

Nashville's

Old 07-19-2008, 10:16 PM

thanks alot. im looking to perform my own songs and not just sell them, is that normal in nashville or do most people just write sell and repeat?

Old 07-19-2008, 10:28 PM

also, will being under 21 be a problem (like getting into music venues/bars)?

Old 07-19-2008, 11:23 PM

334 posts, read 1,282,524 times
I have a 17 year old son, and I have a friend in the music business who is a singer/songwriter. He has been forunate enough to write big hits for both George's, and yet he still struggles to make the big time here with his own performances. I mention my 17 year old because he also has big dreams that I would never want to keep him from, but there are times when I have to remind him things don't happen overnight, and in every job there is usually "dues" to be paid. In Nashville, singer/songwriters are EVERYWHERE. And most of them are over 21...so I wish you luck..but you are about to embark on a tough journey.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinleymorganfield View Post
thanks alot. im looking to perform my own songs and not just sell them, is that normal in nashville or do most people just write sell and repeat?
"Sell" a song? Don't know what that means. You can write one, publish one, have it cut (or cut it yourself!), have it placed in film or TV, etc. Anyone that wants you to sell them your song should be considered highly questionable.

It's not uncommon for a writer/artist here to have a song cut by another artist, but even then you would perform it out. There are LOTS of writer's nights that are open to under-21s. My kids go all the time, and they're younger than you!

I would encourage you to go straight to NSAI. Your dues will be money well-spent. They can direct you to venues, workshops, co-writers, and help you navigate your way through the business end as well.

As for being 17, you may find your age works for you, not against you.

Best of luck!!

BTW, I love Muddy Waters too!

Old 07-21-2008, 01:33 AM

thanks everyone, and if anyone else has advice or information or anything id love to hear it.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:20 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
"Sell" a song? Don't know what that means. You can write one, publish one, have it cut (or cut it yourself!), have it placed in film or TV, etc. Anyone that wants you to sell them your song should be considered highly questionable.

It's not uncommon for a writer/artist here to have a song cut by another artist, but even then you would perform it out. There are LOTS of writer's nights that are open to under-21s. My kids go all the time, and they're younger than you!

I would encourage you to go straight to NSAI. Your dues will be money well-spent. They can direct you to venues, workshops, co-writers, and help you navigate your way through the business end as well.

As for being 17, you may find your age works for you, not against you.

Best of luck!!

BTW, I love Muddy Waters too!
What about preforming at open Mike night at the Bluebird? Is that an option for this person. Many , I know have been discovered there.
You bwould know better since your in the Business, I'm not.

Diane G

Old 07-21-2008, 05:30 PM

Yeah, I mentioned writers nights. NSAI will definitely tell him about the 'bird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville