Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:40 PM

195 posts, read 525,340 times

Advertisements

Nice insights. The company taking me in is assuring me not to worry about it. One of my future colleagues talk of living all her life in TN and not seeing one tornado (I guess she meant "personally seeing").

I mean, I love Nashville. Has visited it 3 times and just love the place and the people. I believe it provides a good work-life balance.

Since I will be working near the airport (1-10 miles north), could anybody suggest residential areas without tornado experience? I'm thinking that tornadoes follow a usual path, and that if it hits Gallatin, Hendersonville, Hermitage, Downtown prior, then these are certain to be within tornado range. Does that even make sense ?

I still will go to Nashville and support the Titans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 PM

427 posts, read 1,307,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashter View Post

Since I will be working near the airport (1-10 miles north), could anybody suggest residential areas without tornado experience? I'm thinking that tornadoes follow a usual path, and that if it hits Gallatin, Hendersonville, Hermitage, Downtown prior, then these are certain to be within tornado range. Does that even make sense ?
I don't think it works that way

There's really no "usual path." Just live where you'd like; all of us in the county share the same risk.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:58 PM

Thanks mad_fiddler. I guess it's a matter of me getting cold feet for me for a while. It's a big decision to re-locate.

But I did get a very nice info here based on the responses : if you can't beat them, prepare for them and manage the risks.

So, this means I should have a good basement for the house.

Also, is there insurance tailored to cover tornado housing damages ? How much ?

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:13 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
I believe most homeowner's policies cover tornado damage because it's wind-related damage. Check your policy and ask your agent, but I am pretty sure anything wind-related is covered in a standard policy.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks Don_Corleone.

Things seem to be falling into place for me. I'm so hyped.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:55 AM

30 posts, read 72,682 times
Hi Nashter,

I've lived in Tennessee all my life. I've seen damage left behind from a twister, but never had my own experience from one. All the TV stations start about 2 hours out when they suspect "tornadic action". This is a new term. LOL You'll get plenty of warning. Even enough time to get in your car and drive away if necessary. I've never done that. Once I felt one was getting too close, so my 2 boys grabbed a couple of pillows and went to the bathroom (center of my condo) and just hung out for a couple of minutes. Then nothing.

When do you think you'll be coming to Nashville?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,139 times
I have SUCH fond memories of Hendersonville - lived there in the late 70s & early 80s - THOUGHT my home I bought & lived in & loved was wiped out in the 2006 tornado - but I FOUND it back on another web site ! so glad...and it looks to be totally intact ! so that is nice to know

Hendersonville was SO wonderful to live in & I still have dreams of the area ! I miss the people, I miss the beauty ! but storm shelters...what a good concept ! that was always my greatest concern when I lived in tornado alley

now I live in another beautiful area of the country in upstate New York - and tornados are EXTREMELY rare & I am REALLY glad of that

oh, i feel so much better ! GREETINGS ! My prayers are with you all suffering through this flood disaster !

Last edited by islek; 05-06-2010 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville