Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:19 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post

AHhhhh, this is exactly why I am moving to Tennessee...the brilliance of the men that inhabit this state is breathtaking.lol I have 2 boys that I hope this type of talk rubs off on (My wife pretty much said that if she is spending the rest of her life here she "wants what she wants" ).

As far as the Keg parties I'm disappointed...didn't you know that's what "dumb, uneducated, red-neck, inbred, hicks do with their kids...that was the main draw for us. lol Don't you just LOVE the impression most people have about states like Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana etc. That was the reaction I got when I first told my friends we were going to Tennessee. Ah, paint my neck red and give me a piece of straw,I can't wait to become a full fledged Tennessean!
Yes, that is a common misconception about southerners. What people fail to realize is that many of these keg party idiots are the children of non-southern families from out of state who sent their kids away to college.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM

255 posts, read 757,018 times
Steve,

Gotta love the irony! I love to tell people I'm moving there just to see the reaction.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Default Retirement Friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM123 View Post
We are moving from northern Illinois and decided to build a house in Murfreesboro. We had looked in Smyrna and liked it but found more land and housing, at a lower price, to our liking in Murfreesboro. I can't comment on schoosl as we are empty nesters. We decided on Murfreesboro as a palce to spend our retirement. Dave
Have you met many other retirement age people to make friends with? Is it easy to get to know people there? Or maybe you haven't spent enough time there yet to make an assessment?

Old 07-31-2008, 07:08 PM

223 posts, read 582,827 times
Default Retirement friends

Staywarm
We have moved quite a few times and have never had trouble making friends. We have found the people in Murfreesboro to be very freindly and helpful in our visits down there. I am sure we will make some good friends once we are there permanently this fall. Dave

Old 07-31-2008, 07:35 PM

223 posts, read 582,827 times
I know when I tell people we are moving to Tennessee I get the "what the heck are you moving there for?" Then you explain everything and then they get it. I think Tennessee is a great state.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
The air quality here isn't perfect, but much better than what I had to endure living in NJ. I NJ, you have to chew the air before swallowing. My wife has Asthma and she doesn't have any problems here in Murfreesboro She does take medications for it and gets execllent medical care.

I applaud you mia for taking the time to really research and watch out for your kids. So many parents nowadays are so lazy. Good going!!
Steve, LOL about the Jersey air! I to moved here from NJ, and while the air here may not be perfect, its better than the air in NJ, by a long shot.
My son called me from NJ tonight and said he better find a job in Tennessee fast because he can't take it there anymore.

Diane G

Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Steve, LOL about the Jersey air! I to moved here from NJ, and while the air here may not be perfect, its better than the air in NJ, by a long shot.
My son called me from NJ tonight and said he better find a job in Tennessee fast because he can't take it there anymore.

Diane G
Diane - I feel his pain. I was in his shoes in 1994 when I finally made the great escape from NJ. The good thing about it is that when he finally does get here, he will appreciate it in huge proportions! It's 14 years later and I still am amazed living here.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I would concentrate on looking in the western and southwestern parts of Murfreesboro. Dave is building in a very nice area that i consider southwest. I live in the western part of town within city limits. Avoid the area near Middle Tennessee State University. You don't want you nextdoor neighbor inviting your kids to keg parties!
Hey, My daughter goes to MTSU and would not think of going to a keg party. She has never even tasted beer.
All those parties occur in the Frat houses on Greek Row, so keep away from that area.
What comes to mine is Blackman Farms which is off 96 in Murfreesboro, on the way to Franklin. They seem to be a good price.
Blackman Farms Real Estate, Murfreesboro - Blackman Farms Homes for Sale, MLS Listings

Diane G

Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Quote:
Hey, My daughter goes to MTSU and would not think of going to a keg party. She has never even tasted beer.
"No, Mom, I spend my Friday and Saturday nights at the library, remember? What's a 'beer bong', anyway?"

You're not the first parent to hear a line like that from their college kid, and you certainly won't be the last.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
Quote:
All those parties occur in the Frat houses on Greek Row, so keep away from that area.
As a recent MTSU grad I'd say the majority of "those" parties are off campus on college oriented apartments that offer individual leases. No, as matter of fact, I know that's the case. The grand scale parties are going to be on Greek Row, but the majority of parties around, including some pretty wild gatherings are at places like Campus Crossings, Raiders Ridge, The Pointe, College Grove, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville