Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 04:37 PM

18 posts, read 77,344 times

Advertisements

I know Nashville has a reputation as the country music capital of the country. Me and some friends are taking a trip to a bunch of cities, and we are stopping in Nashville and planning on hitting up all the country music attractions. But we are wondering if there is also a scene for other types of music, namely punk, alternative and jazz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 04:48 PM

634 posts, read 1,420,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canthardlywait View Post
I know Nashville has a reputation as the country music capital of the country. Me and some friends are taking a trip to a bunch of cities, and we are stopping in Nashville and planning on hitting up all the country music attractions. But we are wondering if there is also a scene for other types of music, namely punk, alternative and jazz.

Many people have transplanted to Nashville TN. I'm sure you'll find a little of all music fans to be honest. I do know you'll find Country and most likely some rock to. Nearly this time last year is when Bo Bice shot his rock vid using my old faithfull farm truck.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:40 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,832 times
Pick up a copy of the Nashville Scene or Rage (free about anywhere) when you get here, or look for the websites. Those are the most comprehensive of the publications when looking to see who is playing where whether it's a large hall or a small club.

You're sure to find something to your liking after you arrive.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canthardlywait View Post
There is a scene for all types of music in Nashville. People think we are just county. That is an extremely incorrect assumption, but I can see how they can arrive at it though.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
F. Scott's restaurant used to have a jazz series every week, but I'm not sure if they do anymore. We're pretty diverse here...it's just that the country stuff gets all the press. Check into the Exit/In to see if there are any alternative acts there. It's a small place, but gets some pretty good talent in there. The Nashville Rage website is here: www.tennessean.com | Nashville Rage | The Tennessean.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:52 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
F. Scott's restaurant used to have a jazz series every week, but I'm not sure if they do anymore. We're pretty diverse here...it's just that the country stuff gets all the press. Check into the Exit/In to see if there are any alternative acts there. It's a small place, but gets some pretty good talent in there. The Nashville Rage website is here: www.tennessean.com | Nashville Rage | The Tennessean.
F.Scotts still has good jazz.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:19 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
MySpace.com - The 5 Spot - NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Garage / Rockabilly / Indie - www.myspace.com/the5spotnashville

The 5 Spot, in East Nashville (Five Points) usually features rock, punk, & alt-country bands. Jonathan Richman (punk pioneer, might have seen him in "There's Something about Mary") could have played anywhere in Nashville and played there recently.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
You will also want to check out The Mercy Lounge/Cannery Ballroom. Jack White (he lives here) has been known to play some impromptu sets here -

http://www.mercylounge.com/

And just saw Ween at the following venue -

http://www.cityhallnashville.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville