Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 AM

162 posts, read 604,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hew2a View Post
I mean, you don't need to stress lynchings or anything...but yeah, open-mindedness and people who are use to being around other races (as crazy as that sounds) I think means a lot to minorities...at least to me it does. I grew up in a diverse neighborhood and went to very diverse grade schools and a diverse univeristy. I've worked in Murfreesboro and Nashville. Coming to Williamson County has been somewhat challenging. It's very conservative. I don't mean that in a bad way. I consider myself to be somewhat conservative. But as far as racial socio-economic diversity, it just doesn't compare to the areas I mentioned in my previous post. But hey, it's Brentowwod/ Franklin. It's an area designed around the more affluent. So it's to be expected. Just giving you a heads-up.
Lynchings...I would hope not...I wasn't thinking that extreme!! ;-)

Thanks for the heads up though... I appreciate your input. It was nice when I visited. Just didn't want to relocate and experience something completely different. Where are you going to move to since you are not happy in Williamson?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:58 AM

177 posts, read 613,997 times
Brooklyn is the destination. I miss up North. Each time I visit, I hate to leave. Middle Tennessee is a nice place to live. Especially if you're on the track of raising a family. My girlfriend (soon to be wife) and I may even move back at some point. It is a great place. But like anywhere, some areas better than others. Depending on what you're lookiing for. Best of luck with your move...

Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 AM

162 posts, read 604,565 times
Thanks a lot! All the best to you and your girlfriend as well

Old 01-05-2008, 10:57 PM

36 posts, read 87,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Profs, I'm not from Tennessee or the south period (relocating from LA, but a tried and true NYer up until three years ago), but one thing I've always been told is that southern racists let you know UP FRONT that they don't like you, which I find to be a good thing and respect wholeheartedly!! I'm also a black woman looking to relocate to TN, Nashville specifically.

They're very different from the Northern racists that smile in your face, but knowingly hate your guts with every ounce of their being.

Just remember that the more poor or ghetto an area is chances are there will be IGNORANCE. It just comes with the territory.
I recently moved to Smyrna and I've not seen a problem...they seem to be more shocked my non-southern accent...i usually get, "you're not from around here" ..I feel like EF Hutton when I speak...LOL But people have been nice.

I live in an upper middle class neighborhood with a three or four other black families but there are also several asian families too but it's 99% white.
For the most part people have been very nice to us...they came by to welcome to the neighborhood etc. However, there are some that will walk on the opposite of the street to avoid contact with me or bring their kids in if I'm out in my yard. But you know who are they inconveniencing...certainly not me. I think it's funny. As long as they don't bother me, I certainly won't bother them.

My daughter adjusted very well at Blackman High School and quickly made friends, black and white. Now I don't know much about Smyrna High School (main HS) besides they won state championship two years in a row....But I have been pleased with Blackman, it's a really nice new school and seem to challenge students.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:44 PM

634 posts, read 1,420,020 times
*quote*

This is true.
You will find with some of the older people in the south, that the Moderator cut: cut is just a word that they use in their vocabulary.
Just politely ask them please don't use that word.

Maybe true in places, just not around these parts. A man,woman and 16 year old son moved here from California and the boy started highschool ( the one and only highschool in the county ) and he asked the guys not to use the Moderator cut: cutaround him. He's now a loner as they told him to ''tune it out or take his Moderator cut: cut back to California''. There are County Deputies that patroll the inside of the school on foot full time here.Thats their job, to spend their shift inside the school during school hours. Some places don't change their ways, they simply pass it on to their kids to keep it the way it is.

About a month ago a MI family moved here because they wanted a white area to live in and raise their 9 kids with whites like themselves ( without being looked down on ).They fully support the ways here and fit in nicely.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-14-2008 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: deleted referenced offensive words and terms

Old 08-14-2008, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,031 times
You really shouldn't pass judgement on everyone in Middle Tn just because a couple of people seem to be racist and blurt out racial slurrs. Everyone has a right to their opinion even if it is wrong. I'm sorry your in laws feel that way but such is life especially when they are from a very different generation. Their opinions do not reflect the majority of the people.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:23 AM

603 posts, read 2,359,152 times
I agree, I'm from the upper midwest and there are plenty of racists, too. They are maybe more subtle about it, but it's there. I have worked in health care for many years and sometimes patients will confide in me if they don't want a minority nurse or doctor taking care of them. I tell them that all of the hospital staff are top notch professionals and if they have an issue with someone's work performance they need to discuss it with the management. Unfortunately, racism is everywhere.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 AM

813 posts, read 2,031,772 times
^ I agree. Racism is in every single little pocket of our world. I've been called the n-word every single time I've been to NYC but, you know what, I still love the city and know that most people there aren't racist. When I studied in France, one of my professors insisted that racism wasn't a big issue there. It was such bologne as I got spat on from a balcony during a political rally against the National Front. This was at the time when the scary French National Front party, with there pseudo-racist agenda, had a candidate who could have won the presidency.

The Detroit metro was absolutely the most segregated place I've even lived in my life. I always found it interesting how some of the people I encountered in southeast Michigan would blanket the south as racist but would turn red when one pointed out the persistent & obvious racial tensions there. A guy actually referred to me as "colored." Even though I know it wasn't anything malicious, I couldn't help but chuckle at such willful ignorance.

I think we all just need to acknowledge that racism isn't something any part of this world is devoid of to some degree, get over it and move on. While the South certainly has a well-documented history of racism, many of the large southeast cities have been forced to consistently confront racism in a way not many other parts of U.S. have not. I think many people of color realize this and certainly are no longer "afraid" of the south. We otherwise wouldn't be moving here in droves.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:13 AM

5 posts, read 22,412 times
Great thread. I am an American born Indian woman and I lived in east TN for a long time. I never felt out of place there. When I got to NYC, it was pretty nice b/c 20 different languages can be heard on the street in a span of 10 minutes. But when I got to Boston - look out snobbery and racism at its best.
I have concluded there will be "racially tolerant" people in the rural parts of TN and they make you feel so welcome to be a part of their community, and then there will be the most sickest of individuals in the so-called "educated" parts of the country. Even when I go to India to visit family, I experience some kind of "you are not us" syndrome. When I am in the US - I don't "look" American, but when in India, I don't "act" Indian. Definitely something to get used to. So, definitely agree with the post above, "get over it and move on." America is a melting pot anyway, where do people get off that they are more superior over anyone anyways?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:21 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
This thread has veered from Middle TN racism to racism in general. Time to close it. Feel free to start new threads in appropriate forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville