Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:55 PM

286 posts, read 804,701 times

Advertisements

I have heard so many suggestions on the best place to live from so many people that I am now confused. It has been suggested that I should move to: Belle Meade, Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, Franklin, Brentwood, White House, Goodlettsville, Gallatin and a couple of others that I cant think of right now. Are these areas pretty much all the same? Basically what I was looking for was:

Safe neighboorhood / nice neighbors
Good commute to downtown (30 mins give or take)
Good public schools (nephew is in 3rd grade) (Williamson/Sumner Cty)
Affordable housing (3 bed, 2 bath, a nice yard would be good) > $200K
Somewhere peaceful but not out in the boonies away from civilization and stores/food/etc

Can I find that in any of those cities? Which would be better? Also, what interstates should I try to avoid (ones with most traffic)? It would be nice to go against traffic when going into Nashville, but I'm not sure if thats realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 01:23 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoi View Post
We haven't been here that long, but spend a lot of time on the road in and around the metro area. In traffic, most of the locations you mentioned would exceed 30 minutes to downtown. The exception may be Belle Meade.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:31 PM

28 posts, read 70,703 times
All of the areas you mention are in completely different areas :-)
Hendersonville, Sumner County: Northeast of downtown: 25+ minutes
Mt. Juliet, Wilson County: East of Downtown, 25+ minutes
Brentwood, Williamson County: South of downtown (haven't driven, don't know commute times)
Franklin, Williamson County: south of Brentwood (haven't driven, don't know commute times)
White House, north of Hendersonville (haven't driven, don't know commute times)
Goodletsville, Davidson County: north of downtown, west of hendersonville: 20 min north of downtown

I live in Hendersonville and have explored Mt. Juliet. Both areas are very different. Aside from the Providence area (new, crazy-huge mulit-builder subdivision with shopping), Mt. Juliet seems to mostly have country roads interspersed with subdivisions.

I feel that Hendersonville is more developed through out the city with newer shopping centers in a few different parts of the city.

My knowledge of Hendersonville schools is not first hand, only that I will feel comfortable sending my girls to public school when they are school age.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:37 PM

28 posts, read 70,703 times
Also, if you are considering Hendersonville and commute time is important you'd want to look at the western side of H'ville.
Monthaven Glenn, Alexandria Place and Mansker Farms subdivisions may all have houses under $200K...I know the Beezer section of Mankser Farms does.

In Mt. Juliet, the Chandler Point and Hickory Hills subdivisions will have homes under $200K
If you haven't already looked at it, visit nashvillebuyers.com. You can search for real estate by schools, subdivisions and general areas of interest.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:56 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
Antioch, hands down.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:05 PM

156 posts, read 451,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Antioch, hands down.
You are funny Mike

Old 08-12-2008, 03:39 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Antioch, hands down.
LOL! Particularly a home that is within spitting distance of Hickory Hollow Mall.

Last edited by Steve_TN; 08-12-2008 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM

215 posts, read 712,781 times
If you live in Mt. Juliet, you could commute via rail on the Music City Star if you have a typical day job in downtown Nashville.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:09 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoi View Post
I have heard so many suggestions on the best place to live from so many people that I am now confused. It has been suggested that I should move to: Belle Meade, Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, Franklin, Brentwood, White House, Goodlettsville, Gallatin and a couple of others that I cant think of right now. Are these areas pretty much all the same?
Suburbia tends to be more alike than different, but Belle Meade and White House are the outliers on that list in my opinion.

Quote:
Basically what I was looking for was:
Safe neighborhood / nice neighbors
Good public schools (nephew is in 3rd grade) (Williamson/Sumner Cty)
Affordable housing (3 bed, 2 bath, a nice yard would be good) > $200K
Somewhere peaceful but not out in the boonies away from civilization and stores/food/etc
I would say Hendersonville 1, Mt. Juliet 2, with Franklin being co-number 1 if you can go far enough over 200k to bring enough housing options into play. The other options are likely too expensive (Belle Meade, Brentwood) or would probably not fit your commute-time preferences (Gallatin, White House, Spring Hill, Murfreesboro).

I'd include the Sumner County side of Goodlettsville with Hendersonville for all practical purposes.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 PM

39 posts, read 46,358 times
Hendersonville would be the best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville