Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 PM

427 posts, read 1,307,747 times

Advertisements

I'm getting back into biking again after converting my old late-70s 10-speed into a much lighter single speed (geared 44/17 for those who are into these things).

Madison's streets are pretty bike-unfriendly, as are most of the burbs, so I'm looking at greenways and parks instead. Can anyone here give me a rundown on what they're like on this side of town? I'm interested mostly in changes in elevation, condition of trails, parking, and scenery (urban or natural), but would like to know anything else that might be useful, especially after I build up stamina and strength. Hills right now? Bad. Hills later? Great fun!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
I'm getting back into biking again after converting my old late-70s 10-speed into a much lighter single speed (geared 44/17 for those who are into these things).

Madison's streets are pretty bike-unfriendly, as are most of the burbs, so I'm looking at greenways and parks instead. Can anyone here give me a rundown on what they're like on this side of town? I'm interested mostly in changes in elevation, condition of trails, parking, and scenery (urban or natural), but would like to know anything else that might be useful, especially after I build up stamina and strength. Hills right now? Bad. Hills later? Great fun!

Thanks!
Check out Shelby Greenway section in shelby Park. It's pretty flat (runs by the river), real close to Madison, and the new greenway bridge that connects East Nashville to Two Rivers Park was just completed this summer. They did a great job. To get to the bridge it's about 3.5+ miles from the Shelby entrance. There's another entrance in Inglewood and it's a lot closer to the new bridge. Can't exactly remember what street/location though.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
Check out Shelby Greenway section in shelby Park. It's pretty flat (runs by the river), real close to Madison, and the new greenway bridge that connects East Nashville to Two Rivers Park was just completed this summer. They did a great job. To get to the bridge it's about 3.5+ miles from the Shelby entrance. There's another entrance in Inglewood and it's a lot closer to the new bridge. Can't exactly remember what street/location though.
Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware there was another entrance near Inglewood.

The bridge is beautiful. We have to stare at it every time we drive past Shopryland. I've heard Shelby's pretty popular, too, and all the foot/bike traffic helps helps keep it safe.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:01 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,451 times
The north entrance of the Shelby Greenway is at the end of Moss Rose Drive. There's another entrance at Forrest Green (Off Rosebank at Welcome Lane). You'll probably need to Google that, but it has a parking lot, water, maps, etc. I'm lucky enough to leave my house on the bike and hit the Moss Rose entrance in about a mile. Sunday morning I left the house and rode to the greenway, across the bridge into Two Rivers. Soon, I'll continue the Two Rivers leg to approach the Stones River (the connector to Priest will open soon). Be careful at the McGavock Pike descent to the river area. The slope is incredibly steep which isn't a problem going down.... but...

This should help you out:
Nashville.gov - Greenways - Trailheads with Directions

Old 08-13-2008, 03:02 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,294 times
Although not on your side of town, the Natchez Trace Parkway is well worth the drive. It's located in the extreme southwest corner of Davidson County on Hwy 100, about 1/4 mile from the Loveless Cafe. There are rolling hills, beautiful scenery, wildlife, and plenty of places to park you car while you go for a ride(after a tasty breakfast at Loveless). Enjoy.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:58 PM

231 posts, read 869,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
You can get to the bridge from the Two Rivers Park lot (near the skate park.) Path goes right under Briley Parkway...

Old 08-13-2008, 04:58 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,451 times
GrnMtnFire, that's great information for those who just want to enjoy the bridge who might not be able to bike or take long walks. I plan on taking my 85-year-old mom to walk across that bridge. I might have to carry her back, but my bets are that she'll make it. (Lord, I hope so).

Just drive to the back area of the wave pool lot and there you are. Thanks, GMF.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:42 AM

88 posts, read 286,809 times
The Ashland City Bicentennial Greenway Trail would be a great choice for a single speed ride. It's a flat and scenic rail-to-trail route that keeps you pedalling. About 4 miles in length (8 mi. out and back), however if you incorporate the associated county roadway that follows the creek and river, it becomes a sweet 10 mile loop.

White House also has a nice greenway with several trailheads. If you start at the northernmost trailhead/p'lot on Hwy 31W north of town and ride the entire length to the Sonic trailhead on Hwy 76, cross over and ride through the city park, then reverse the route, you can get in about 10 miles.

Also, Springfield has a pleasant greenway that runs from the county park towards town. Less hilly than White House, you can up the heartrate by riding the quiet roadways surrounding the downtown area. Out and back will total about 8 miles.

Yeah, I know, these greenways are a ways off from Madison, but might be worth the drive to experience. It is nice to see the progressiveness of these outlying cities with respect to greenways. They have done an excellent job in getting folks outdoors and moving.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:31 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
There is also a new greenway in the works in Hendersonville off of Long Hollow Pike at the Creekside subdivision, just before Lower Station Camp Creek Rd. It's not finished yet, but is supposedly going to run all the way to Drakes Creek park.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 AM

Lots of great information! Thank you all so much! The bike rack arrived yesterday, so I'll be able to take advantage of some of these trails.

I wasn't aware of the Ashland City Greenway -- planning on riding it in the next couple of weeks.

And Hendersonville will be handy. I work in Gallatin, so it might be a good stop on the way home after an especially difficult day.

Someday, the Natchez Trace Parkway. I'm not yet up to a long ride, so the trip out there would be mostly driving, without much biking. But in time I'm hoping to be able to do it, since it's such a beautiful area.

Has anyone here been to Peeler Park? I hear there's a one-mile paved trail, but don't know anything else about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville