Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 PM

9 posts, read 42,006 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from Philly to Nashville - probably sometime this year. I am black and he is white. We visited Nashville just before last christmas and LOVED IT! Cool people. Cool vibe.

Does anybody know if Springfield, TN (Robertson Co.) and Lebanon, TN (Wilson Co.) are as cool? Do you think I'll be safe by myself at night?

thanks and peace,
the profs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 9,893 times
Oh my goodness, racism is not nearly that bad. In my opinion, you can quit worrying about your safety!

I think you would have to look for a long time to find a town in Tennessee where you are NOT as safe as any other woman.

Racism expressed in a violent manner is a rare thing. Keep in mind, there are a lot of black people here, and interracial marriages are not nearly as unusual as they used to be.

Lebanon is a nice town. I don't know anything about Springfield. If I were you I would definitely look at Murfreesboro. College town (Last I heard, MTSU has more students than any other single campus in the state), pretty progressive.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:15 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilli View Post
Oh my goodness, racism is not nearly that bad. In my opinion, you can quit worrying about your safety!

I think you would have to look for a long time to find a town in Tennessee where you are NOT as safe as any other woman.

Racism expressed in a violent manner is a rare thing. Keep in mind, there are a lot of black people here, and interracial marriages are not nearly as unusual as they used to be.

Lebanon is a nice town. I don't know anything about Springfield. If I were you I would definitely look at Murfreesboro. College town (Last I heard, MTSU has more students than any other single campus in the state), pretty progressive.
No, MTSU does not have more students than any other campus in the state. It has more UNDERGRADUATE students, but U.T.-Knoxville has a lot more graduate students and, therefore, has the highest student enrollment in the state.

I personally don't care for Murfreesboro, it's grown too fast to be quaint anymore. It's got traffic problems, overcrowded schools, acres upon acres of parking lots and cookie-cutter housing developments.

If you're looking for a small-town atmosphere, Lebanon really is nice. I think Springfield is, too, although Lebanon is closer to things such as the Nashville airport. Plus, you can live in Lebanon and commute to downtown Nashville by train. Pretty sweet.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:16 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,070 times
We plan on moving to Springfield, but, I really can't tell you too much about it until after April.
All I know is the info from the net and what they sent me from the Chamber of Commerce.

We decided on Springfield because it is a smaller town, far enough away from Nashville, but close enough if we ever need to go there.
They have everything that my family wants... nice hospital, softball parks, a place for our little girl to sing and compete, drama, dance, singing opportunities, stores: Mom/Pop, a Walmart, your basic needs.
And my My Dad.

Oh, and decent housing prices.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 42,006 times
Great! Thanks everybody for your comments. We thought it was safe but got a little concerned when we read some of the comments on racism in middle TN. Glad to know its all good. We're definitely moving somewhere near Nashville and I can't wait. Feel free to keep the comments coming.

This is my first time participating in any find of forum, I love it! Again, thanks.

peace

Old 02-03-2007, 02:11 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the profs View Post
Great! Thanks everybody for your comments. We thought it was safe but got a little concerned when we read some of the comments on racism in middle TN. Glad to know its all good. We're definitely moving somewhere near Nashville and I can't wait. Feel free to keep the comments coming.

This is my first time participating in any find of forum, I love it! Again, thanks.

peace
Basically, you are going to find some form of racism wherever you move.
Just can't get away from it.
Where we live now, people aren't very happy with the Hmong people.
It's not really because they have done anything either. Just that so many of them moved here, and I guess that made some people nervous.

In Springfield, there is a guy on the city council that is hot under the color about illegal aliens. He has centered his fight against the hispanic population of Springfield.
I have a feeling that come elections, he'll be replaced.
You can do a search of Springfield and Hispanics, and it will pop up some videos of the news reports.
I think there are two of them.
That's about it on the excitement in Springfield.
When I talked to the young lady at the Chamber of Commerce there, she said, there really isn't a problem.
Mainly, they have a migrant population that comes in and works during the warmer months.
She said that it's a really nice place to live.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
Read my post under nashville. And lillie don't let them chew you up too bad. They have ego giants and mental wizards hiding behind the security of a keyboard and computer screen. As for that train service. If your working the same hours at the train runs thats, cool. If not, as most people are, you still drive your car. They didn't do much reasearch into the schedualing of the train. Or won't do it, to allow more people to use it. I think they thought more people would use it.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,166 times
I am planning on moving to Springfield sometime in 2015. Upon my research I like the fact that there is a mixed population. My desire is to make a difference in the lives of our youth. I have an organization geared towards our youth. I am moving there to retire and make a difference in uplifting the community in a positive way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville