Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:02 PM

63 posts, read 401,920 times

Advertisements

Most of Antioch is not as bad as the local media portrays it. Sure theres gangs and other crap like that, but are there any places left in America that don't? Travel on I65 North, right before Old Hickory Blvd, and you will see graffiti all the way on top of the retaining wall. HOW they got up there without anyone seeing them, I don't know. And this is the so called "Brentwood" area.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:18 AM

35 posts, read 224,238 times
Antioch is probably one of the largest geographic zip codes in the area. Compared to most areas, it is probably at least twice the size (if not more) than other zip codes, so you are dealing with a broad expanse of area when you consider all that is classified as "Antioch."

Antioch does get a bad rap, with the negativity breaking the headlines while the pros and normal daily hum-drum getting minimal play. There are less than desireable sections of Antioch, but there is also a section that borders Williamson County/Brentwood/Nolensville where the houses range from $150s-$500s and parallel the amenities found in the aforementioned areas, Bellevue and others. This area is known as Cane Ridge, which recently renamed itself to distinguish itself from the stigma of Antioch.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:44 PM

12 posts, read 37,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby25 View Post
Antioch definitely has the stereo-type of being the ghetto but I have to disagree. Unless you live in Brentwood(which is starting to see more crime) or Franklin, there is gonna be crime near your neighborhood...drugs are everywhere. I think the north side of town is worse than Antioch. I just moved from Nashville and my job required me to work with deliquent teens all over Nashville and I spent much more time on the north side of town with gang members and only know of a handful of kids that were in the Antioch area...I didn't work with any of them. Gang-wise, the Crips, GD, and Bloods were all north and west sides of town...the MS-13 (granted they can be more dangerous) were towards Antioch...or Nolensville Rd area. They got together on the east side of town at Opry Mills area.
To sum up...there are "dangerous" pockets in any neighborhood...you just have to do your research before you choose a specific home. One of the hot spots in town right now is 12st Ave S area and one street is "ghetto" and the next is high dollar. I wouldn't want my kid to go to any middle or high school in Davidson Co.
There are many Davidson counties school which are very good like Martin Luther King, Humme Fogg, some of the Magnet schools. I used to know several school mates that went to Antioch High and some of them went on to MIT, Havard and Brown holding research and upper mgt now in the east coast area. IMHO, it all depends on how you view it. Entertainment, food is great and yet near downtown [about 20 mins using I-24]. Many live in williamson and visit friends in that area. Housing is cheap and esp those newer subdivisions are wonderfully nice. Some of the newer subdivisions have homes as nice or better than those in Franklin at 35-50% lesser. It is also a good starting place... save more and get something else later on in Williamson. Like anywhere else there are pockets/ areas that are bad but none are worst off than you hear. Do your due dilligence. If you need more info let me know. There is always a jewel in any areas.... same as any others. In an economy like now [sad to say .... going down with job being lost in the 1000s a day] conserve, save save more for rainy days. My 2 cents

Old 05-03-2007, 03:10 PM

13 posts, read 70,247 times
I have lived in Antioch for 5 years now and granted, there are some problems but there are some better areas than others. I live in an apartment complex towards the Cane Ridge side and I have always felt comfortable there. As a single lady, I have never had a problem with walking my dog at night or being scared to walk from my car to my apartment. Like abby25 said, there are problems in any neightborhood you choose. It's funny how on one side of Bell Road, people are getting shot and robbed and on the other side, people feel comfortable walking alone at night. Also, the city called "Antioch" covers such a wide area that it's hard to generalize for the whole city. Antioch on the Nolensville, Antioch Pike side has had a lot of problems but the Cane Ridge side where I live is not bad at all. I think it just depends on the individuals comfort level. I do agree though that the schools in all of Davidson county are horrible.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 17,742 times
Thumbs up Antioch is just fine.

As I said, Antioch is just fine. It is the PEOPLE that made it what it is...... or what its said to be at least. I've lived in Antioch all my life and am currently attending Antioch High School, and I will have everybody know that there has been NO GANG VIOLENCE or GANG RELATED ACTIVITIES since I have been here. We've even had those random locker searches and bag checks were everything is searched all at once and police dogs come to smell for drugs, and every time there has been ZERO ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES FOUND. Antioch is not a bad place, a bad place is down on lower Dickerson Rd. over near Whites Creek, and Maplewood.
The worst place to live, in my opinion, is were people look down on others, and think that they're better than everyone else (Murfreesboro, Franklin, Brentwood, ect.). Don't get me wrong, there are a few people here and there that don't look down on others and live in those locations.
Antioch is getting better, and will continue to get better. How do I know it's getting better? Because I live here.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,004,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred123 View Post
As I said, Antioch is just fine. It is the PEOPLE that made it what it is...... or what its said to be at least. I've lived in Antioch all my life and am currently attending Antioch High School, and I will have everybody know that there has been NO GANG VIOLENCE or GANG RELATED ACTIVITIES since I have been here. We've even had those random locker searches and bag checks were everything is searched all at once and police dogs come to smell for drugs, and every time there has been ZERO ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES FOUND. Antioch is not a bad place, a bad place is down on lower Dickerson Rd. over near Whites Creek, and Maplewood.
The worst place to live, in my opinion, is were people look down on others, and think that they're better than everyone else (Murfreesboro, Franklin, Brentwood, ect.). Don't get me wrong, there are a few people here and there that don't look down on others and live in those locations.
Antioch is getting better, and will continue to get better. How do I know it's getting better? Because I live here.
No illegal substances at Antioch High School. Right, and there's no Magnum XL in Tommy Lee's wallet, either.

I know plenty of open-minded, welcoming people that live in all three of the cities that you claim are "where people look down on others" (and why is Murfreesboro even in that list?) Why is it okay for you to generalize about these cities but not okay for others to generalize about Antioch? At least there are concrete crime statistics to back up what people are saying about Antioch.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 AM

35 posts, read 143,355 times
Does this crime spill over into Williamson County? Or into other surrounding counties?

Old 04-02-2008, 03:51 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,004,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliforniachick View Post
Does this crime spill over into Williamson County? Or into other surrounding counties?
I wouldn't worry too much about Antioch crime spilling over into Williamson county. There's a decent sized buffer zone in between that people refer to as "Brentioch," and it serves to "phase out" a lot of the Antioch riff-raff, so to speak.

Rutherford County has more issues, as the county borders Antioch directly. Lake Forest Estates in LaVergne has seen a HUGE increase in crime over the last couple years, and many of the perpetrators arrested had Antioch addresses.

I would be wary of any area where the majority of new subdivisions built in the last few years have huge signs in front that say something to the effect of "$350 Down Will Put You In Your Own Home, Bad Credit OK!" These neighborhoods are ALL OVER Antioch and North Rutherford County.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:51 PM

81 posts, read 278,341 times
Default Honestly

I am 38 and was born and raised in Nashville. In the 70's and 80's Antioch was a very nice area. Late 80's it had the best mall plus all the cool apartments that young singles wanted to live in. Now there is a lot of legal and illegal immigrants that have flocked to the area. It is also know for high gang activity. I don't know this first hand but have been told that school teahers in the area are getting frustrated because so many of the students do not speak english and it hold the other children back. I have a aunt that still lives in that area but just a few years ago a lady was raped by a home intruder while her mother and kids were locked in another room. This lady lives right behind her. Their yards are seperated by a small creek. My aunts daughter still lives in the area with her husband and 3 kids but she lives further out in an area that is more rural. Her kids did go to public school but even they will tell you that it is not the ideal environment to learn. Hope this doesn't offend anyone but this is my personal take on Antioch. A lot of people buy there because it is cheaper because of the areas bad reputation so it depends what exactly you are looking for a good price on a house or a good area to live in.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 AM

7 posts, read 79,617 times
Basically if it's under the pathways of the airlines it's a crappy place in Antioch, outside of that it can be much better. It's on the slow road down though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville