Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:13 AM

39 posts, read 75,729 times

Advertisements

I am a born and raised New Yorker and LOVE It here but now my mom lives with me and its way too expensive to get a two bedroom here and the job market sucks. My sister lives in Franklin and convinced us to move there for a better quality of life. My question is this...I am not religious AT ALL, and Im very liberal...Am I going to have a hard time adjusting to life in a small town? I heard Franklin is very nice so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 02:06 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela1961e View Post
I am a born and raised New Yorker and LOVE It here but now my mom lives with me and its way too expensive to get a two bedroom here and the job market sucks. My sister lives in Franklin and convinced us to move there for a better quality of life. My question is this...I am not religious AT ALL, and Im very liberal...Am I going to have a hard time adjusting to life in a small town? I heard Franklin is very nice so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
1) Just a friendly bit of advice: If you LOVE it in New York, please don't come here with any expectations of things being remotely similar. There are quite a number of big city transplants that like it here or get along just fine -- because they accept and appreciate the differences. We also have transplants that hate it here because they relentlessly compare here to where they used to live. If you do that, you will be miserable.

2) Compared to New York, Franklin might be a "small town"...but it's a fairly large suburb of about 65,000, and about 20 miles south of Nashville. While Franklin has it's own identity, it is very much a component of the Nashville area. It doesn't feel small. It feels like a suburb.

Franklin is the seat of a very conservative county, and there are lots of churches there. So if you have a problem rubbing elbows with a mostly conservative churchgoing crowd, it may not be the best spot for you. There ARE liberals in Franklin (just like there are conservatives in New York), and a lot of them don't have a big problem with it, aside from the fact they're likely not going to be able to elect someone that shares their viewpoint. One very positive aspect of Williamson County is that while it is quite conservative, there is a large transplant population, so you shouldn't feel like an outsider in that regard.

If politics and religion are a major issue for you, you might want to consider Davidson County (Nashville proper) rather than Williamson. Davidson County is still somewhat religious (lots of churches), and conservative around the fringes (it's about 60/40 Democrat in state and national elections). I would also suggest this if you feel you prefer more of a city atmosphere rather than suburban or "small town."

So aside from politics and religion (if you are still considering here after that explanation ), what are you looking for in a neighborhood? Rent an apartment...or a house? What sort of budget? Quiet neighborhood or active neighborhood? Also, what type of work are you hoping to find? Keep in mind that wages will likely be quite a bit less here -- but so will the overall cost of living.

I should have mentioned this earlier...and your sister may have already told you, but driving is more or less an essential part of living here. We have public transit (buses), but the coverage is not sufficient for most people who want to do anything more than go to and from work (and that's if you live and work close to town). There are some park and ride systems set up for the suburbs, but in all honesty, it would save you a lot of time to drive. It's not good for shopping or anything like that. You will almost certainly have to drive everywhere you go.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:37 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
There are enough liberals in Franklin that you'll find them eventually and not everyone goes to church. That said the religion thing can be overwhelming at times and the Truck plastered with Sarah Palin for Pres and the 9-12 project will make you roll your eyes.

Franklin is very different and it took me a while to adjust from the northeast but I really miss Franklin when I go back east. Everything is so new and clean.

The hardest adjustment for me was the lack of public transport.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:55 AM

Thank you so much for the advice!! I am going with an open mind and very excited and I heard that ppl there are so friendly and nice and its very hard in NYC to make close relationships, everyone is always in such a rush, etc. I am going to buy a car definitely and I am just going to rent an apartment for me and my mom, a two bedroom. My sister would like us to live close to her so Franklin is most likely where we will go. As far a jobs, I was an executive assistant in NYC and I also worked in healthcare doing credentialing. I am anxious to start a new life and I think living in a smaller town and having less stress will be a nice welcome. Thank you so much for all your posts I really appreciate it!!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela1961e View Post
Thank you so much for the advice!! I am going with an open mind and very excited and I heard that ppl there are so friendly and nice and its very hard in NYC to make close relationships, everyone is always in such a rush, etc. I am going to buy a car definitely and I am just going to rent an apartment for me and my mom, a two bedroom. My sister would like us to live close to her so Franklin is most likely where we will go. As far a jobs, I was an executive assistant in NYC and I also worked in healthcare doing credentialing. I am anxious to start a new life and I think living in a smaller town and having less stress will be a nice welcome. Thank you so much for all your posts I really appreciate it!!
Start applying for jobs now. Use your sister's address if you need to. THere are some nice complexes in Cool Springs (Alara and McEwen). I have a friend that lives in a complex near the YMCA off Royal Oaks in Franklin and I think she pays $1k/mo for a 2 bd apt. Hardison Hills maybe an option too in Franklin. It is a condo community but renters and probably cheaper than some of the bigger complexes. Rental houses are tight right now and go for a premium.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:24 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
My sister ended up buying a condo here, but we looked at these apartments and liked them. Location is good, but try to get one away from the highway. There is a Franklin Trolly stop there so you could get to the mall on it, to downtown Franklin. It only runs about 8 times a day in loops BUT at least it is something until you buy a car.

Viera Cool Springs - Apartments for Rent in Franklin, TN | About Us

Two bedrooms are about $1050. Add another $100 and you can get a 2 bed/2 bath one!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I'm only going to say this about the "liberal/conservative" thing.

The Nashville area was built on creativity. The music industry attracts a LOT of people along that creative spectrum, from those who look like CEOs to outright weirdos. It extends to the suburbs. And it's not just transplants who make it accepting. There are actual Tennessee natives who will accept you too.

We won't point and laugh as you walk down the street.

If your sister has survived here, I'm sure you will too. But follow Nashvols' advice or it won't work.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your tips and suggestions! My sister loves Franklin, she has a big position at Vanderbuilt and loves living there. I am very excited to move, I just have to find an apt big enough for me and my mom to share without tearing each others hair out. Right now we live in a one bedroom in NYC so u can imagine how im looking forward to a 2/2! I also love how the apts there have pools! Nobody in NYC has that unless ur $$$$$$$ a pool here in an apt complex is unheard of! so is air conditioning so Im looking forward to all that. I just get nervous about being a new yorker and ppl thinking im not friendly because we have a bad reputation in NYC which is in alot of ways deserved LOL

Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
With your mom in mind, you may want to check out Bellevue. It may be about an hour to use Old Hickory & something else (Franklin) to your sister's place. You may enjoy being closer to Warner Park then use a #5 bus to get to Vandy. If you look in the Old Hickory + 70S area near Kroger you should find a 2-3 bed apartment you may like with an outdoor pool & other nice features.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:47 PM

45 posts, read 81,936 times
I'm glad I found this site! We're also moving from NY to Nashville. I had my heart set on the Franklin area but it's too far from my hubby's work. We'll most likely settle on the Blackman area of Murfreesboro. Best of luck to both us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville