Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:09 AM

11 posts, read 25,221 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking about relocating to the Nashville area from Ithaca, New York. I will be ending my career with the Ithaca Police Department after 20 years as a police officer in the Spring/Summer of 2010. I also hold an RN license and work per diem on a medical-surgical floor at a small hospital. When I retire from police work I plan on working full-time as a nurse in a hospital setting.
By the time we move, my son will be 8 and my daughter will be 14.
I have read several postings from individuals asking similar questions and the responses have been great. My questions are pretty similar, but here goes?
What are the top 3-5 neighborhoods that are family oriented, safe, have good school systems, and affordable housing (3 bedrooms, 2 baths, price range $110,000-$160,000)?
A member of the Nashville PD suggested the Bellevue, Goodletsville, Joelton, and Hermitage neighborhoods. What do you guys think?
What realestate agents or realestate companies are respected in the Nashville area?
Also, if any nurses are out there I'd really appreciate information on obtaining a job; i.e. what are the best hospitals, pay scales, benefits, nurse-patient ratios, working environment?
Thanks, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 11:09 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
The neighborhoods you mentioned are nice ones, in general. I've lived in Bellevue for over 20 years. Belleuve might be more convenient to the "hospital row" area, but will be somewhat more expensive. Joelton is a little more rural; so you would have to drive a little further for shopping and that sort of thing.

Since Nashville is a regional medical center, there is quite a demand for RN's. As I understand it, the benefit package is very competitive (at least compared to areas outside the northeast and California).

Old 10-09-2008, 12:20 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
are you planning to send your kids to public school?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 PM

11 posts, read 25,221 times
"YES" on the public schools.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 PM

187 posts, read 623,370 times
do you want an actual house or would a condo be better? How far are you wanting to drive to and from work. Do you prefer more rural or urban? Do you need public transportation?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:34 PM

regarding real estate companies, this is probably the top company and is a local company. Here is a link to one of their agents who is really good and helpful.
Porter, Joseph - Village Real Estate (http://www.villagerealestate.com/cms/index.cfm?group_id=2559 - broken link)

Old 10-10-2008, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 18,158 times
Smile I am a Realtor

in the Mt. Juliet area. I have also lived in Bellevue. Both of these areas have good schools- however, Mt. Juliet has Providence, which is a beautiful outdoor shopping area. The housing out this way is also very affordable (I moved here from New York, too, and my husband and I bought a 5 acre property with a 2500 square foot house for less than $300,000!!!! The same money will get you a nice subdivision house out in Bellevue.) as for the schools- a great tool is Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community. You can get school ratings there, which is always a good way to evaluate an area.

You and your family are going to LOVE Tennessee. It is a fantastic place to raise children. You have everything here that a big city can offer- museums, a wonderful symphony hall, good restaurants- with all the benefits of a small town, as well!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,950 times
Default Also Considering Relocation to Nashville

I too am considering employment options in Nashville.
We have lived in a rural area in Mississippi all of our lives and would really like to try something different this time. We have 2 dogs (1 med one small) and 2 cats. I would like to consider a down town loft near a park. My wife is leaning toward a house in the burbs (side walks, community groups) that sort of thing. She found info on Sylvan Heights.

I am curious about issues pertaining to crime filled areas, congested commute areas to avoid. (I would be working in Brentwood).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are pretty open on price but do not want more than 1500 sq ft or so to deal with.

Thank You
Kal

Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,960 times
I wouldn't consider Sylvan Height the suburbs. Maybe back in the 1950's...It's right next to Sylvan Park on the west side and prices were starting to boom when I moved from adjacent Sylvan Park (where they already were topping out) about 3 years ago. I looked at a house in that neighborhood, but didn't want to pay $150,000 for a 750 square foot house at the time. As I said, prices were booming then, might be able to find a deal now. I haven't been back to that particular neighborhood since I moved, so you might want to find a real estate agent familiar with that area and research before buying. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 PM

Another thing you might want to consider in regards to a job is Vanderbilt University Medical Center. I think at this point all the hospitals are very similar in pay and ratios but if you work at VUMC, after five years of employment, they will pay the majority of tuition for your children's college. It might be close timewise on your oldest child but is a fabulous benefit. They also pay for yours and spouse tuitions if you chose to return to school. Their general benefits are the best in town. Because it is centrally located, Bellevue, Sylvan Heights and other areas are usually within a 20-30 drive. You might also consider Crieve Hall area and Nippers Corner as places to live. Nice large yards and older ranch houses but great areas for families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville