Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:56 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
Ice melt is different than rock salt. Ice melt is more chemical in nature and will typically melt ice regardless of the temperature. Salt is just salt will not melt ice in extremely cold conditions.

I googled and found this article which better articulates the point.
Rock Salt Not Best To Melt Ice - Automotive News Story - WISC Madison (http://www.channel3000.com/automotive/1833771/detail.html - broken link)
That Ice Melt stuff works great. I used it a number of times last winter on my door locks. This year I will be parked in the garage, so hopefully won't need it as much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 06:56 PM

450 posts, read 1,503,562 times
Awwwww nuts....... Anyone wanna buy some Rock Salt?... Gezzzzzzz

If my car has the Automatic door locks do I still need something to un-frezz them?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:49 AM

13 posts, read 52,758 times
Blargh!!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 AM

13 posts, read 52,758 times
Quote:
Big TR: Somebody mentioned keeping your gas tank at 1/2 full. This is not necessary. I lived in Chicago for the past decade and never once had to worry about this in any of my cars. I can guarantee that you won't have problems here in Nashville.

Hey fellow ex-Chi town member!! I spent the last 14 years there and this will be my first winter not in the mid-west. I'm actually looking forward to the up and coming hilarity of what folks in Tennesse think a winter is. I've heard from a friend who's lived in Nashville for the last few years that people actually pull over on the side of the road if it starts snowing. Actually, after the super long winter this last year in Chicago, I'm looking forward to something more mellow.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:52 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika1976 View Post
Hey fellow ex-Chi town member!! I spent the last 14 years there and this will be my first winter not in the mid-west. I'm actually looking forward to the up and coming hilarity of what folks in Tennesse think a winter is. I've heard from a friend who's lived in Nashville for the last few years that people actually pull over on the side of the road if it starts snowing. Actually, after the super long winter this last year in Chicago, I'm looking forward to something more mellow.
Erika... I'm originally from NJ and once you see how people freak out here at the sight of one snowfalke you will be rolling on the floor laughing. Trust me! I've been here 14 years and I am still rolling on the floor laughing every winter!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika1976 View Post
Blargh!!
What is a Blargh and do I need one for the up and coming winter!!!!! ha ha ha...

Being that I am from the "Big Valley" of California. I never really had to deal with snow and or Ice. I am sure I will be one of those who gets laughed at. But I would rather be safe then sorry...

I just bought a new truck in June and it is not a 4 Wheel Drive because I was told that it was going to be needed. However I do appreciate all the pointers giving here and I am wondering if I would need the Anti-Cease Lock stuff for the doors being my truck has a key fob to lock and un-lock the doors..

P.S. Are Blargh's available on-line or can I get one at ACE Hardware..

Old 10-18-2008, 07:47 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,633 times
We keep one car outside, and the locks never froze during the winter. The lock de-icer doesn't cost much if you want to keep one on hand. When I lived in New York, my dad would put a bandaid over the lock to keep it warm (this is really true). It worked as long as it stayed on.

I've gotten so used to having 4-wheel drive even if it's just have better traction during the rain.

Lee, since you're retired, I would just stay in until the sun melts the roads just in case. With no guards on the sides of road where there's a dropoff, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:03 PM

Thanks Barb I plan on doing just that..... LoL

I still wanna know if I need to have the Door "Anti-Freeze" if I have power locks.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:05 AM

43 posts, read 198,687 times
Hi there. I'm not from Tennessee but from Colorado and I can say without a doubt that my winters are colder than yours will be. I have never had my door locks freeze when my car was parked outside. I have, however, had to shovel 4 feet of snow off it and that was no fun. I would recommend an ice scraper to keep in your car. Also, definitely remove your hose from the spigot. We never put an insulator on ours and we get temps down to -20 at times. I would also drain your sprinklers as well. As far as plants and lawns go, most will go dormant during the winter. If we have an above freezing day and there is no snow on the ground, I might turn on the sprinklers and water my yard, draining them again before nightfall.

Good luck surviving your first winter!

Edited to add: I also lived in Oklahoma for 4 years where ice was much more common that snow. I never had to de-ice door locks while living there, either.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:59 AM

Thank You lovingmy4... You along with many others have helped me a lot... The Ice Scraper is a good idea. (I had not thought of that) and I am going to hold off on the lock stuff. After all I am retired and I can either wait or just not go anywhere..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville