Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,312 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I live in Northern California and have been researching the possibllity of moving to Middle TN. I have looked at housing prices in Spring Hill and Murfsfreeboro and like what I see.

I have been cautioned about the slow, slow paced life stye there compared to CA but that might be a welcome change.
My concern is the traffic congestion I am hearing about especially in Spring Hill. IS that true?
How does that compare to Murfreesboro?
What about supermarkets and malls any close by?
I am retired but my wife will need employment in the area, office work?
Are there jobs?

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 18,272 times
Well in my opinion, Murfreesboro Traffic is much worse then Spring Hill. Spring Hill is a Great Place to live. we have a Publix Supermarket as well as a Kroger, lots of new small businesses, and more coming everyday. The Mall is only about 15 miles away. Spring Hill is the place to live !!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 11:46 AM

225 posts, read 1,144,667 times
My opinion would be exactly opposite regarding Spring Hill and Murfreesboro trafffic! I think the traffic going into Spring Hill is much worse than Murfreesboro! They just announced today on the news that they were going to be widening I65 from Franklin to I840 to help with the traffic jam that occurs on I65 every day. I'm sure once this is finished it will help but getting into Spring Hill during rush hour is a tough drive.

Murfreesboro is a true city and Spring Hill is a suburb. There is a completely different lifestyle in each community. Everything you could possible need is already here in Murfreesboro. From five star gourmet restaurants, to plays and the symphony, to movie theatres, horse shows, parks, and everything else in between. Murfreesboro already has one mall and a large number of retail developments. There is a second upscale mall called The Avenue currently under construction set to open in the fall of this year and Embassy Suites is building a convention center here. If you live in Murfreesboro you do not need to commute into Nashville for anything ~ unless of course you just want to!

Murfreesboro has a booming economy, and a lot of job opportunities locally. I see Spring Hill as a nice residential suburb and Murfreesboro as its own unique city. It really depends on which lifestyle you find more appealing. You will also get more home for your money in Murfreesboro right now.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,312 times
Thank you so much, great feedback, looking closer at both Spring Hill and Murfreeboro, but it seems like Murfreeboro has more to offer.

I like the housing in both places but we like to go to different restaurants and have things to do so that will be a large consideration for us.

Will be there in February to look around so I can see for my self.

Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:33 PM

156 posts, read 680,507 times
HI..
I just moved to Franklin from CA...
Have you looked at Thompsons Station area???
Its a new growing area...not bad....at all....
Cool Springs is hoppin....lots of restaurants and shopping...

See my PM

Old 02-08-2007, 06:01 PM

13,359 posts, read 40,014,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONDEB28 View Post
Thank you so much, great feedback, looking closer at both Spring Hill and Murfreeboro, but it seems like Murfreeboro has more to offer.

I like the housing in both places but we like to go to different restaurants and have things to do so that will be a large consideration for us.

Thanks again.
Murfreesboro may have more to offer than Spring Hill, but it certainly does not have more to offer than Franklin. As blueyes721 said, you might consider Thompson's Station, which is a booming community between Franklin and Spring Hill. Franklin has a mall that's three times the size of Murfreesboro's mall, and Franklin has oodles of nice restaurants; Murfreesboro is a college town with lots of fast food joints and a few nice restaurants. And make no mistake, Murfreesboro is definitely a suburb of Nashville. I mean, if Murfreesboro weren't so close to Nashville, it wouldn't be growing like it is.

Housing is much more affordable in Murfreesboro, but if you're looking for a place with lots to offer, it's hard to beat Williamson County.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 PM

225 posts, read 1,144,667 times
I have to disagree with JMT! How long has it been since you've been to Murfreesboro? A brand new, large, upscale mall is under construction right now which should be open in Fall 2007. In addition, the old mall is undergoing major renovations and is also expanding.

Murfreesboro is the home of MTSU, and is a "college town" but it has grown into so much more. Murfreesboro has a huge selection of restaurants just like Franklin, and offers everthing from "lots of fast food joints" to an endless selection of typical franchise restaurants like Carrabas, Bone Fish Grill, and Outback Steaks, to freshly prepared gourmet dining at restaurants like Five Senses.

Murfreesboro is not a suburb of Nashville but is a large and growing city. The city has excellent health care and hospital services, police, fire, theatre, symphony, shopping, resturants, public transportation, endless entertainment, and of course employment opportunities.

Williamson County is a wonderful place to live ~ and I lived there myself for several years and had children attend school there. It really depends on price range and lifestyle that will ultimately make the final decision for a home buyer. There is a major difference in home prices in Murfreesboro verses Franklin.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:42 PM

13,359 posts, read 40,014,992 times
Murfreesboro has a booming population pushing 100,000. It's not a small town anymore. Franklin has a population of about 50,000. Yet Franklin has more upscale shopping than Murfreesboro, more upscale dining than Murfreesboro, more upscale grocery stores (such as Wild Oats, Harris Teeter and Fresh Market) than Murfreesboro, and more upscale hotels than Murfreesboro.

I'm not trying to knock Murfreesboro; it's apparently a popular place to live. But the original post wanted to know how Spring Hill (population 17,000) compares to Murfreesboro (population 90,000). Both have booming populations, both are suburbs, both have issues with traffic. I just happen to think that Williamson County (Spring Hill) does a better job coping with school overcrowding and traffic, and perhaps that's because Williamson County's population has a lot more money than Rutherford County (bank deposits are more than double in Williamson County than in Rutherford County).

And rest assured, Murfreesboro is most certainly a suburb of Nashville, just as Franklin is a suburb of Nashville. Murfreesboro became part of the Nashville metropolitan area over 30 years ago; by definition, that makes it a suburb of Nashville. I'm sorry if it offends some people that Murfreesboro is a suburb of Nashville, but that's just the way it is. It doesn't make it any less of a town or less enjoyable a place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellkids View Post
I have to disagree with JMT! How long has it been since you've been to Murfreesboro? A brand new, large, upscale mall is under construction right now which should be open in Fall 2007. In addition, the old mall is undergoing major renovations and is also expanding.

Murfreesboro is the home of MTSU, and is a "college town" but it has grown into so much more. Murfreesboro has a huge selection of restaurants just like Franklin, and offers everthing from "lots of fast food joints" to an endless selection of typical franchise restaurants like Carrabas, Bone Fish Grill, and Outback Steaks, to freshly prepared gourmet dining at restaurants like Five Senses.

Murfreesboro is not a suburb of Nashville but is a large and growing city. The city has excellent health care and hospital services, police, fire, theatre, symphony, shopping, resturants, public transportation, endless entertainment, and of course employment opportunities.

Williamson County is a wonderful place to live ~ and I lived there myself for several years and had children attend school there. It really depends on price range and lifestyle that will ultimately make the final decision for a home buyer. There is a major difference in home prices in Murfreesboro verses Franklin.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:11 AM

63 posts, read 294,438 times

Thanks again.[/quote]

Hey there,
Please let me know what you found out. I am going down in April - booked flight today yaaaay! Looking at Franklin, Hermitage, Murfresboro and Brentwood

Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,641,018 times
Hermitage, huh? Are you homeschooling? When we looked a few years ago, the schools there did NOT compare to Williamson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville