Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:15 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times

Advertisements

I had the windows open with the screens in yesterday to let the sun & warm air into the house. All of a sudden I noticed about 2 dozen ladybugs on my bedroom screen with some of them managing to get into the house. I closed the screen.

Is anyone else having a migration of ladybugs? I used to see a couple of them when I lived up north but nothing like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 09:20 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
I had the windows open with the screens in yesterday to let the sun & warm air into the house. All of a sudden I noticed about 2 dozen ladybugs on my bedroom screen with some of them managing to get into the house. I closed the screen.

Is anyone else having a migration of ladybugs? I used to see a couple of them when I lived up north but nothing like this.
Those are most likely Japanese beetles. They look like ladybugs except they're more brown in color than red. If they've already made it into your house, you're probably stuck with them until late spring when it starts warming up at night and they head back outside.

A U.T. ag agent explained to me what they were. The beetles stay outside in the warm weather, but as soon as it starts getting cool they head for the warm confines of your home through any crack in your house, especially around the windows and doors.

The ag agent suggested I set off a bug bomb inside my house. They'll still get in, but at least they'll die when they do get in.

In late summer you should have a pest control company come and spray the exterior of your house specifically for Japanese beetles. It was the best $100 I ever spent.

If you don't want to use chemicals, you can kill them yourself with dish washing detergent (such as Dawn). Attach one of those reservoir things to a garden hose and put an inch or so of Dawn in it. Find the bush or tree where the beetles seem to congregate (and they do--there's no particular variety of bush or tree that they prefer, but they seem to pick one or two and make it their nest) and spray it with the hose. The detergent will coat them with a thin layer making it impossible for them to fly. They'll fall to the ground and will eventually die. You might have to do it a couple of times.

And no, it's not fair that they picked your house and not your neighbors. When I lived out in the country the same thing happened to me, while my neighbors were free and clear of the little critters.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:04 AM

764 posts, read 2,548,135 times
I think they're Asian Beetles - Japanese Beetles look more like June Bugs, these look exactly like ladybugs except they're brown. See this link:

Asian Lady Beetle Infestation Of Structures | University of Kentucky Entomology

We've been invaded, too. We were getting the house ready for a Halloween party yesterday when my son pointed up to the ceiling in the dining room. There were tons of them all over the place! The vacuum took care of most of them inside and I'm heading out to spray the perimeter of the house today.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times
oh man...in wisconsin it was unreal. we had enough of those little critters in our house to do script Ohio! (my husband is a buckeye..poor thing).

do they really hurt anything? I don't know....

Old 11-01-2008, 06:39 PM

113 posts, read 382,912 times
They showed up at our house yesterday too. Yikes! I like Lady Bugs (ours are Lady Bugs) looked at the website that Mary Moon had. They were in our house coming though the front and back doors. My husband bought some Tape on Caulk. sp? Anyway, we had a gap in our door at the top. Anyone with that problem look and see if you have gaps at all. They're all over our screens too. Now has anyone had more problems with wasps? We are getting a ton of them all over the outside of the house. I know they are hanging out buy a power transformer near our neighbors..maybe a nest? Would the city come out? Also, we have a good bug service...they will come out anytime (no charge) I think is was $200 or so for the full year. They spray every 3 months, but will come and spray any other time too. We also bought a hanging Yellow Jacket/Wasp catcher..with some kind of liquid in it. Don't bother! They could care less. LOL

Old 11-01-2008, 07:13 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCouple View Post
They showed up at our house yesterday too. Yikes! I like Lady Bugs (ours are Lady Bugs) looked at the website that Mary Moon had. They were in our house coming though the front and back doors. My husband bought some Tape on Caulk. sp? Anyway, we had a gap in our door at the top. Anyone with that problem look and see if you have gaps at all. They're all over our screens too. Now has anyone had more problems with wasps? We are getting a ton of them all over the outside of the house. I know they are hanging out buy a power transformer near our neighbors..maybe a nest? Would the city come out? Also, we have a good bug service...they will come out anytime (no charge) I think is was $200 or so for the full year. They spray every 3 months, but will come and spray any other time too. We also bought a hanging Yellow Jacket/Wasp catcher..with some kind of liquid in it. Don't bother! They could care less. LOL
Our house is older and very leaky with small entry points all over. We have issues with wasps year round. They live in our eves and even regular pest spraying didn't help.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:38 PM

113 posts, read 382,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Our house is older and very leaky with small entry points all over. We have issues with wasps year round. They live in our eves and even regular pest spraying didn't help.
I know what you mean. Ours are going inside and out of the siding. Our home is half brick and half vinyl siding. We're from CA and never have seen wasps like these things. HA! Our home is only 5 years old, but you can always find openings everywhere. But it's so bad you can't even go outside. They buzz you like jets...

Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 AM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCouple View Post
I know what you mean. Ours are going inside and out of the siding. Our home is half brick and half vinyl siding. We're from CA and never have seen wasps like these things. HA! Our home is only 5 years old, but you can always find openings everywhere. But it's so bad you can't even go outside. They buzz you like jets...

If I go a week without being in my shop during warm season, I'll squat as I go in and walk like a Duck looking up the whole time untill I make an inspection of each and every spot those suckers have been known to nest. My wife gets tickled, but they don't take long to build a nest and yes they sure will fly in on you like a jet lol. I used to splash gas on them in the years before and they'd fall to the ground dead instantly......but now todays gas ain't what it used to be as it only pee's them off... unless they evolved into tuff, mean, zappin' machines.LOL, they were that anyways so it must be the newer gas don't do the trick

I don't mind the ladybugs though,,they don't make me swell up like those waspers do lol.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:45 AM

450 posts, read 1,502,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post

Barb I guess we are lucky ain't got em (YET)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCouple I know what you mean. Ours are going inside and out of the siding. Our home is half brick and half vinyl siding. We're from CA and never have seen wasps like these things. HA! Our home is only 5 years old, but you can always find openings everywhere. But it's so bad you can't even go outside. They buzz you like jets...
But we do have Wasps (not as bad as the summer months) and I like the other hate them little suckers. I have built made a couple of the Wasp traps out of 2 Liter Soda Bottles but I don't know where to put the bait? Here is what they look like.. How to Make a Wasp Trap - wikiHow Calicouple our house is just like yours and like you we are from California also. We had Wasps is Calif but not like the ones heres. The ones here seem to be more aggressive unlike our laid-back ones there..

Old 11-02-2008, 05:51 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
Mary_Moon, thanks for the site on the asian lady bettles. That's exactly what I have. I wanted some fresh air in the bedroom but finally had to close the windows. I sprayed Home Defense around the windows which only stopped them for 5 minutes. I'm going to try Avon's Skin So Soft oil I have in a spray bottle to see if that stops them. It did help with little bugs this summer. The only bushes we have are in the front of the house and there are none of them there. They all seem to be located on our bedroom windows only, not any of the other windows in that area of the house.

We have some wasps again. I have seen a couple of the red ones which I know are the bad ones. In the summer we sprayed Yard Guard before we went out.

Last edited by 46Barb; 11-02-2008 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: posted too fast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville