Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,062 times

Advertisements

I retired from the US Navy in 1999. My wife and I attended a Ships Reunion in Nashville in June and this was both of our first time in Tennessee. We absolutely loved everything we saw. We currently live in Norfolk, VA and are very unhappy with the decline in just about every area of living. High Crime, Coruption, reverse discrimination and increased taxes, you name it! We own a small Courier Business (LLC) and will want to continue to do the same work in the Nashville area. We would like to live in a nice Nashville suburb where crime is low and taxes are reasonable. Where would be the best place to purchase a nice place that is not too crowded for around $200,000? School district in not an issue. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,294 times
Try north of Nashville. Areas around White House sounds like what you're looking for.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 AM

22 posts, read 176,280 times
I agree. Robertson County still feels like "our little secret". Some parts are still extremely rural, while others are growing like Springfield and White House. We made the leap from the DC area 2 years ago and haven't looked back!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
You might consider the Bellevue area of Nashville.

There are two property tax rates in Nashville. For a house in the general services district the tax on a $200k house would be a little over $2000.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 AM

317 posts, read 1,231,110 times
You might like Smyrna, which is within that range. You'll get a decent amount of square footage in a home for the prices. You'll find homes built in the 90s through today with new construction. It's 15-20 minutes from the heart of Nashville and has a new and nice section of retail and restaurants, has its own new medical center and is close to J Percy Priest Lake. There's a huge Nissan presence there as well as Square D. It's a smaller town, but it has experienced some growth recently. Just an FYI...There is a military presence there, but it's Army National Guard.

Crieve Hall/Caldwell Hall neighborhood is in Nashville just South of the city which will give you larger lots with mature trees for mostly ranches (a few with basements) built in the 50s and 60s. It's just between Downtown Nashville and Brentwood and offers a quick drive to either.

A few other neighborhoods on the South side, closer to Nippers Corner and the Brentwood/Nashville border would be Holt Woods (built in late 90s), Brentwood Glen (early 90s), Whispering Hills (50s and 60s), Villages of Brentwood (80s), McMurray (70s), Huntington Park (70s), Bradford Hills (90s).

Then on the West side, you have a community within Nashville's city limits called Bellevue. You can find nice homes for reasonable prices there. Most of these will be built within the last 10-15 years with 2 car garages in individual subdivisions. Avondale Park and Riverwalk are a bit off to themselves but will lead you to new construction. Popular Creek and Lexington Point were built in the early 90s while Boone Trace and Somerset Farms were built in the late 90s. Riverbridge was built in the last 5 years, and then you'll find lots of neighborhoods that begin with Harpeth that will be considerably older homes (70s or so). Bellevue is a nice place that is a less crowded community with plenty of modern conveniences within it as well as easy access to the heart of Nashville. It also has some beautiful landscapes with rolling hills around, a great park (Edwin Warner Park), access to the Natchez Trace and more...

These are a few areas I would recommend for the price range and your description.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 PM

334 posts, read 1,282,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy79 View Post
I agree. Robertson County still feels like "our little secret". Some parts are still extremely rural, while others are growing like Springfield and White House. We made the leap from the DC area 2 years ago and haven't looked back!
strange that you use those words...I've often marveled that I live so close to Nashville and yet feel our area is "overlooked" by the people that keep moving in. Fine by me...makes it nicer to not be so overcrowded.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,062 times
Thank you so very much for all the information. We did in fact visit White House back in June and found it to be almost exactly what we were looking for. However, we were not sure if it was a little too far away from the heart of Nashville to operate our courier business. We are planning another trip to Nashville in early spring. Will take all of your input with us. Thanks again.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
You might also put Kingston Springs on your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville