Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

too much competition between counties in Tennessee, seeking thoughts and opinions on lack of unity, state not pulling together, unhealthy competition

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:54 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,876 times

Advertisements

Hmmmmmmm.....that's weird because people from WI are called flatlanders too.

Re: Cheddars....YUM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 04:18 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,469 times
I really don't see the competition between counties. Every now and then I see what looks like some playful bantering on this forum but it is what it is.

I'm happy with where I live and hope everybody else is happy with where they live. I'm just happy to be out of Southern California and Arizona and I love Tennessee.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 PM

187 posts, read 623,312 times
I don't really think the people who live in Franklin are snobish. I find them to be very down to earth. However, the city of Franklin did this huge promo in order to encourage people to move into Williamson County. That promo included leading people to believe that the only safe and educated place in Middle TN is Williamson County. The real problem is that so many people have bought into that promo and word has spread beyond this area that if you live in Middle TN...you must live in Franklin. This has caused severe overgrowth which has its own problems. It is a beautiful city and I tell all visitors to check it out.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyknashville View Post
I don't really think the people who live in Franklin are snobish. I find them to be very down to earth. However, the city of Franklin did this huge promo in order to encourage people to move into Williamson County. That promo included leading people to believe that the only safe and educated place in Middle TN is Williamson County. The real problem is that so many people have bought into that promo and word has spread beyond this area that if you live in Middle TN...you must live in Franklin. This has caused severe overgrowth which has its own problems. It is a beautiful city and I tell all visitors to check it out.

I think it is silly to knit pick the details as to which group is better - I defer to a noted philosopher and insodoing will solve this argument once and for all:
Hell is other people" - Sartre

Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
I haven't eaten at Chedders yet, but a close girlfriend just had a birthday and that's where she requested the rest of our girl-gang take her for lunch next week! If I visit before you do, I'll PM you a full report!
Mary, It was not open last week when I passed it. It looked liked some construction was still on going. On their site its showing only a location in Hendersonville open in the Nashville area.

Diane G

Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Mary, It was not open last week when I passed it. It looked liked some construction was still on going. On their site its showing only a location in Hendersonville open in the Nashville area.

Diane G
Well phooey! Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with 5 Guys and a Burger? There are just sooo many great restaurants to choose from!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:58 PM

177 posts, read 613,857 times
To be honest, I think this thread is somewhat silly, in terms of the types of threads that get started here with titles like "Where should I move?", "Relocating to Nashville, what's the best city to move to?" etc. I mean, what do you think people are going to say? Everyone has their views about different areas. I personally have my own just like others have theirs. People are looking for different things in the places where they choose to live. Some like the very manicured landscaping and large variety of shopping. Others like a place with lots of diversity and culture. Personally that's me. I've stated this before and will state it again. I like Wiliamson County, it's beautiful in SO many ways. But personally there is just not enough diversity and culture for me. I prefer Nashville/Murfreesboro. But that's me. I don't knock any other county or city. But I have spoken to people who moved to Franklin under the same pretense that it was the only place to move to if you wanted to be safe or have a decent home. Then later they discover all of these other areas that are as vibrant or even more vibrant. I don't hate on Williamson County...but what I do hate is when the other Counties try to mimic this Cool Springs/Brentwood (basically Atlanta) model and the entire Middle Tennessee area begins to look the same. I can't stand a lack of originality! I wish each County/City would embrace it's uniqueness and build upon it. One of the things I love about Murfreesboro is the influence the diversity from the University has on it. But it still has the influence from the locals and the rural areas. It's just this little pot of Gumbo. And I think this is something Murfreesboro needs to capitalize on. It's really a "small big city". But for some reason, there's this model that people feel they have to imitate instead of taking the risk to be something unique and envied. But all in all it's what you like. And at the end of the day it's all love. It's still Middle Tennessee...and we all use Nashville for our locater when we're out-of-town and people don't know where the city we live is. So if you're feeling Franklin/Brentwood...cool! You should be able to speak your mind about it. Same for any other areas.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hew2a View Post
To be honest, I think this thread is somewhat silly, in terms of the types of threads that get started here with titles like "Where should I move?", "Relocating to Nashville, what's the best city to move to?" etc. I mean, what do you think people are going to say? Everyone has their views about different areas. I personally have my own just like others have theirs. People are looking for different things in the places where they choose to live. Some like the very manicured landscaping and large variety of shopping. Others like a place with lots of diversity and culture. Personally that's me. I've stated this before and will state it again. I like Wiliamson County, it's beautiful in SO many ways. But personally there is just not enough diversity and culture for me. I prefer Nashville/Murfreesboro. But that's me. I don't knock any other county or city. But I have spoken to people who moved to Franklin under the same pretense that it was the only place to move to if you wanted to be safe or have a decent home. Then later they discover all of these other areas that are as vibrant or even more vibrant. I don't hate on Williamson County...but what I do hate is when the other Counties try to mimic this Cool Springs/Brentwood (basically Atlanta) model and the entire Middle Tennessee area begins to look the same. I can't stand a lack of originality! I wish each County/City would embrace it's uniqueness and build upon it. One of the things I love about Murfreesboro is the influence the diversity from the University has on it. But it still has the influence from the locals and the rural areas. It's just this little pot of Gumbo. And I think this is something Murfreesboro needs to capitalize on. It's really a "small big city". But for some reason, there's this model that people feel they have to imitate instead of taking the risk to be something unique and envied. But all in all it's what you like. And at the end of the day it's all love. It's still Middle Tennessee...and we all use Nashville for our locater when we're out-of-town and people don't know where the city we live is. So if you're feeling Franklin/Brentwood...cool! You should be able to speak your mind about it. Same for any other areas.
Great post. As far as the comments regarding Williamson County you can add Hendersonville as it's northern clone. Sometimes I really wish Murfreesboro/MTSU was inside Davidson County but it's great just the same.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
Great post. As far as the comments regarding Williamson County you can add Hendersonville as it's northern clone. Sometimes I really wish Murfreesboro/MTSU was inside Davidson County but it's great just the same.

What diversity are you refering to in Murfreesboro? I don't see it at all and I shop there all the time. It seems very generic - I like it but don't think it's diverse like a small version of Boston. The college seems to be isolated from the town except for sports and the kids that work at Krogers, and the mall. Don't get me wrong - there's a ton of growth - avenue is better than providence but its a mall. THe downtown is dead everytime I go there except at lunch - sidewalk rolls up at 7. Worse, it's NOT a walking town. I think the old boys old money that built planned the city got exactly what they wanted. Lots of subdivisions full of out of staters who work at companies who get tax bennies. The folksthat move here are mostly concerned with good schools, not being maligned for being from west or north and having an incredible incentive to put up with anything else (humid summers for the tax advantage and the affordable housing. In this economy that's a hard argument to challenge.
As a creative type person, though, I find it far from offering anything even close to the smaller more sophisticated towns in other geographies. If you don't have kids, like to access culture and things a bit artistic and eccentric, you may be a bit challenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville