Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:39 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,874 times

Advertisements

I remember in the early and mid-90's the park offered free admission after 7:00pm for locals. All you had to do was show your driver's license at the gate. I would rush home after work and take my toddler for a few hours of free play in the Kiddie Zone several nights a week.

Also had a friend who worked the Tin Lizzie ride. She jumped the track and took it for a ride through the park after closing time. Good times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Although, I always thought the Hotel's Delta outdoor staircase was very odd...it was a staircase to nowhere when they built it and the park was open. Now it serves as an entrance to the hotel from the mall. Suspicious. Either way, I don't trust Gaylord and don't like them because of closing Opryland.
I worked on the design of the Delta (for almost a year). I don't really remember the "staircase to nowhere", but I don't remember anything at the time about a "secret future plan", and we usually do know about such things.

I had enough trouble at the time trying to figure out out to dimension a free-form indoor "river".

Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 917 times
All nice thoughts about the park but closing it was a pure business decision. I worked at the hotel at the time and will ask you all the same question I used to ask everyone in 1999, "when was the last time you paid to go to the park?". Nashville cried about the park closing but never supported it when it was open, nobody runs a business to lose money so that a community can fondly remember their youth.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom liner View Post
All nice thoughts about the park but closing it was a pure business decision. I worked at the hotel at the time and will ask you all the same question I used to ask everyone in 1999, "when was the last time you paid to go to the park?". Nashville cried about the park closing but never supported it when it was open, nobody runs a business to lose money so that a community can fondly remember their youth.
But Opryland was not losing money. It just wasn't making as much money as Gaylord wanted, certainly not as much as they figured a mall could make. I spent a small fortune at Opryland through the years, and many other people I know did, too. I think what hurt so much is that Middle Tennesseans were very loyal to Opryland, but Opryland apparently wasn't very loyal to Middle Tennessee. They didn't even let us have a chance to go one last time; they waited until the end of a season to announce they were never coming back. That just left a really, really bad taste in our mouths.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-27-2011, 03:54 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
I almost feel like having opry mills flooded and not reopened was a bit of poetic justice for those of us that miss the theme park haha.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom liner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
But Opryland was not losing money. It just wasn't making as much money as Gaylord wanted, certainly not as much as they figured a mall could make. I spent a small fortune at Opryland through the years, and many other people I know did, too. I think what hurt so much is that Middle Tennesseans were very loyal to Opryland, but Opryland apparently wasn't very loyal to Middle Tennessee. They didn't even let us have a chance to go one last time; they waited until the end of a season to announce they were never coming back. That just left a really, really bad taste in our mouths.
Agreed with JMT. I don't know the figures for season ticket sales, but it remained very popular for families (especially) to buy season tickets to the park for the summer. As an employee, we would definitely see a large number of "regulars".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville