Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2007, 03:13 AM

39 posts, read 246,177 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to move to the Nashville area in the next couple months and was wondering if going there to visit and applying in person to jobs would be more affective then online or calling them? We both have Master's Degrees and have been burnt out by the lack of opportunity here in Va Beach. I know alot of people want to get into music industry and I am one of them. I'm a film music composer and my wife is a writer. Does anyone have any advice that might have gotten into the industry or mabee have learned valuble lessons concerning music jobs in Nashville? I've been, if you want to call it that here in Va Beach, successful as possible (mainly composing for low budget films, television movies, & occasional trance and pop music album contrabutions but without anyone really knowing anyone else here it's been nearly impossible to keep going on financially wondering about the next month after month. Not a very fun way to live. Is there a trick of the trade to get your name known through people who actually know other people? I know there's a Guitar Center in Nashville so do most people start off small like that and then try getting to know producers and directors that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 03:39 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,199,390 times
I'm not in the music business (and don't want to be), so my comments are general.

Most people who comes to Nashville go around and try to get to know people in the business. If they want to sing or become a songwriter, they go to the Bluebird on amateur night, or play other clubs (someone is always playing for tips at one place or the other). They get their work into as many hands as possible. I'm not sure how much help going to a music store would be; if you do that, go to Gruhn's or Chambers or one of the local shops. Guitar Center is probably full of teens pretending they're Steven Tyler (although I've never been . . . I already have two guitars and play them both badly).

You might also think about teaching somewhere for a while.

You might also talk to the folks at the Tennessee Film Commission. There's a few movies made in the state every year (Walk the Line, The Green Mile. etc.)

You do know the CMA Music Festival is in early June, don't you. It could possibly turn into a "met and greet" for you.

Last edited by alleycat; 03-04-2007 at 04:58 AM..

Old 03-04-2007, 09:44 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,626,943 times
I would suggest your first 2 stops be SGA and NSAI- the 2 main songwriter's org.s. Then go straight to your P.R.O. (ASCAP, BMI OR SESAC) and make a contact there.

Welcome and good luck!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:19 AM

16 posts, read 72,886 times
Also I would go take a look at this website :
www.filmnashville.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville