Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,109 times

Advertisements

Hello,I am a 39 yr old black female in northwest oh. As we all know the economy has people relocating to where the jobs are....,well I'm no acception to the rule. I am considering nashville, because I did not realize that the city was as beautiful, and full of african american people as it is, until 2 summers ago. Now that I have been in search of a good job I may have found it, I just need a little insight from some people about where the best area to look for residency would be. Please do not be offended that I mentioned african american people, because I love diversity as much as the next person,it's just that I grew up in a town that is predominately white,and a change would be nice,and I want to be around my culture as I get older.

What are the most affordable areas for a person who does not have children? I don't mind living next to children at all, I just don't have as many needs as a person with children. And an area for a person that likes to do things.To make it easy,an area where the rent is between 350,and 475. And where I am not far away from everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 03:08 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,996 times
Moderator cut: cut

I get the feeling that rents under $500 are common in the Rust Belt. That is not the case in Nashville. Expect to pay at least $550-600 to live in a safe neighborhood unless you catch a really good special. That is for a one-bedroom apartment in the 600-700 square foot range; nothing luxurious.

You need to be looking in the Hermitage and Donelson communities and the area around Exit 219 (Stewarts Ferry Pike) on I-40. This area provides the best mix of very low rents, safety, and convenience. There is enough diversity there that you won't feel like you're living in white suburbia.

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-11-2009 at 06:23 AM..

Old 01-01-2009, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
[mod] cut [/mod]

I get the feeling that rents under $500 are common in the Rust Belt. That is not the case in Nashville. Expect to pay at least $550-600 to live in a safe neighborhood unless you catch a really good special. That is for a one-bedroom apartment in the 600-700 square foot range; nothing luxurious.

You need to be looking in the Hermitage and Donelson communities and the area around Exit 219 (Stewarts Ferry Pike) on I-40. This area provides the best mix of very low rents, safety, and convenience. There is enough diversity there that you won't feel like you're living in white suburbia.

Good luck with your move.
Actually,I have never heard ohio referred to as the rust belt,anyway thanks for the response.But I actually Pay 500 a month right now for my town house.But a small 1 bedroom "privately owned"apartment in this area can run from 350-600 a month, and really there is no need to be paying all that in rent when it is just myself.Hopefully I will find something if I do come there. Thanks again

Last edited by Beretta; 01-11-2009 at 06:23 AM..

Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamelkizzez40 View Post
Actually,I have never heard ohio referred to as the rust belt,anyway thanks for the response.But I actually Pay 500 a month right now for my town house.But a small 1 bedroom "privately owned"apartment in this area can run from 350-600 a month, and really there is no need to be paying all that in rent when it is just myself.Hopefully I will find something if I do come there. Thanks again
The Rust Belt most definitely includes Northern Ohio.

My point is that you are not going to find anything for $350, or probably even $500 for that matter, in a neighborhood worth living in. $600 is on the low end of what is realistic. The good news is that wages and salaries are probably quite a bit higher here than they are where you're coming from, and jobs are definitely more plentiful.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:52 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karamelkizzez40 View Post
Northern Ohio is smack in the middle of the Rust Belt.

If you want to live in a predominantly African American neighborhood in Nashville that's got other professionals such as yourself, you might want to check out the Germantown area which is northwest of downtown. It's near some historically black universities (Fisk, Meharry Medical College, and Tennessee State University). Some parts of Germantown can be a little sketchy, but there's an earnest effort among many in the community to spruce it up.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,153 times
You should look into East Nashville and possibly Madison.

Don't let people scare you about the " black neighborhoods " thing. Keep in mind that while Nashville is a progressive city and offers a great amount of diversity, It's still a southern city and can still have segregated neighborhoods, esp. in North Nashville.

There are plenty of diverse neighborhoods around Nashville that most people love, My wife is African-American and moved her from New Orleans post Katrina and does not like the areas around TSU, Meharry, or Fisk because of the crime. While it is a majority black neighborhood it's also full of crime and you'll find that in Nashville in the few neighborhoods that are majority black.

If you decide to move down and need to find a A.A. hair stylist my wife just ran into a great one that's affordable and I'll provide her website if you're interested.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 PM

17 posts, read 57,577 times
Perhaps I misread Karamel Kizzie's post, but I don't see where she inquired about living in a "black" neighborhood. She commented that the city is full of African Americans. In addition, race has less to do with crime rates than various other socio-economic factors. I'm a bit confused by Pimpy's reply but I'll assume he was trying to be helpful (?) and I simply misunderstood his post.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:55 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock_71 View Post
Perhaps I misread Karamel Kizzie's post, but I don't see where she inquired about living in a "black" neighborhood. She commented that the city is full of African Americans. In addition, race has less to do with crime rates than various other socio-economic factors. I'm a bit confused by Pimpy's reply but I'll assume he was trying to be helpful (?) and I simply misunderstood his post.
I assume from this sentence in the OP:

"Please do not be offended that I mentioned african american people, because I love diversity as much as the next person,it's just that I grew up in a town that is predominately white,and a change would be nice,and I want to be around my culture as I get older."

Maybe it's just me, but I take that to mean she'd prefer to live in a predominately AA neighborhood.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
I assume from this sentence in the OP:

"Please do not be offended that I mentioned african american people, because I love diversity as much as the next person,it's just that I grew up in a town that is predominately white,and a change would be nice,and I want to be around my culture as I get older."

Maybe it's just me, but I take that to mean she'd prefer to live in a predominately AA neighborhood.
That is the way I took it too.

Also, I never speculated as to the reasons a neighborhood might have a high crime index, I just pointed out that anywhere in Nashville that rents for under $500 is probably not in a safe area. I'm not sure what the previous poster was getting at.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM

17 posts, read 57,577 times
Quote:
If you're looking for $350-475 rents, black neighborhoods are definitely where they will be found, but nowhere that a professional, law-abiding citizen as you appear to be would want to be caught dead.
Again, I may have misunderstood what Karamel Kizzie said, but I took her post to mean that she lives in a city or town that lacks diversity and she was looking to move to a more diverse area. Pimpy, your post states that cheap apartments are in african-american, crime ridden neighborhoods. That is offensive.

KaramelKizzie, I moved here almost two years ago after 18 months of living in Columbus, OH. Nashville is a nice city and people are friendly. However, I have found Nashville to be more segregated than other cities I've lived in. The cost of living is about the same as the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville