Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 05:51 PM

149 posts, read 478,218 times

Advertisements

I understand that the Martin Luther King Jr. Bridge connects North Nashville and Bordeaux. I know that the Kelly Miller Smith Jr. Bridge connects Spring St and Jefferson St. I do not know where The Jubilee Singers Bridge is at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 07:51 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
It's on D.B Tobb Blvd. D.B. Todd runs past Fisk.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM

153 posts, read 689,289 times
It's on D.B. Todd just south of Fisk and just north of MLK magnet HS

Old 01-19-2009, 10:53 AM

251 posts, read 1,034,279 times
Default does Fisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe123safi View Post
I understand that the Martin Luther King Jr. Bridge connects North Nashville and Bordeaux. I know that the Kelly Miller Smith Jr. Bridge connects Spring St and Jefferson St. I do not know where The Jubilee Singers Bridge is at.
Qwe123safi,

Is Fisk still considered a good school there in Nashville? How is
it perceived there in Nashville? Meharry as well...

I know Vanderbilt and Belmont are..

I took a tour of all of the schools, I was impressed with Fisk over TSU---the
neighborhood seemed sketchy though....

Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM

153 posts, read 689,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
Qwe123safi,

Is Fisk still considered a good school there in Nashville? How is
it perceived there in Nashville? Meharry as well...

I know Vanderbilt and Belmont are..

I took a tour of all of the schools, I was impressed with Fisk over TSU---the
neighborhood seemed sketchy though....
What are you interested in majoring in? Fisk has had its financial problems, but it seems to be getting back on track financially (for now at least). Certainly in the sciences, there are a lot of opportunities to get involved in research at Fisk--more so than at the other schools you mentioned. Meharry is only a medical school, and so is not really comparable to the other institutions.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:43 PM

149 posts, read 478,218 times
You need about a 3.1 to get into Fisk. A 3.3 To get into Meharry, and a 2.8 to get into TSU. The area around Fisk and Meharry is improving. There used to be these huge housing projects there, but they were torn down and rebuilt with bright colors, better lawns, and it disrupted the gang presence in the area. They are called the John Henry Hale Homes. You never hear about anything bad there anymore. There are these other ones called the Andrew Jackson Courts. Their was a shooting htere last year, but that is all that has ever happened there. There are about 2114 blacks in the area. 107 whites, 28 asians, and 38 hispanics. The area may look sketchy, but that is because its very old and hasn't been remodled. Nashville's more dangerous neighborhoods are located up North. North of these universities. TSU basically borders it. But, Fisk and Meharry are a little ways away.

By the way, Meharry in the first and largest black insitution in the USA. It also graduated 2/3 of it's black doctors.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM

Qwe123safi,

I have my AA Degree, so its just 2 more years I need to complete...I am
considering finishing here in California cause it is so much cheaper to go to
school here....

I am also an Older Student--so I wouldn't want to live on campus...., I do volunteer
for UNCF here in San Francisco--so I might be able to get funding that way....

The two schools I would consider in Nashville would be Belmont or Fisk....I appreciate
your input--

I really was impressed with Fisk though, there is something special about it...if I was 18 I probably
wouldn't have thought so...too small...I am Grown--so I can appreciate the size.....

I also have considered going to Toronto, Canada for school---but to me--its all about having
the funds to pay

Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 PM

Ben52284,

I am a Re-Entry Older Student so I am thinking it may be better to finish my BA
here in California and then moving down...

I also considered going to Toronto to finish..but, overall money wise its more
practical to finish here...

If I can get the aid to go away though and not owe too much I will do that...
either move to Nashville and finish or Toronto and finish...

I wanna use wisdom in the relocating process.....I can wait if necessary....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: