U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM

34 posts, read 92,243 times

Advertisements

Help. I've had it with paying close to $160 a month for cable and "high speed" internet (plus an HD DVR).

I'd love to move to a dish, but I'm not sure how I would get internet. I do not have a home phone -- I have two cell phones already (one work, one personal), so the thought of adding a land line just for internet services seems crazy.

Am I stuck?

Last edited by New England 2 Nashville; 01-21-2009 at 01:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 PM

97 posts, read 356,435 times
You can get internet through your sattelite dish or through a cell phone company. I have internet through At & T and like it. We do not have a land line at home either.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:03 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,668,254 times
You can get something called an AirCard. Cricket sells them for $59 (last time I saw a commercial for it). I have a friend that uses a Sprint one but I'm not sure what other carriers sell them. It's way way way better than a landline connection because it uses the cell phone towers for internet, meaning you can use it wherever, whenever, granted there is cell phone reception where you're trying to use it.

As far as the high cable bill, call Comcast & tell them you're thinking of switching & see if they'll cut you a deal.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Gosh, thanks for the prompt replies.

Would the air card only work for a laptop, or a regular desktop PC, too? Do you just buy the aircard, or do you have to have some sort of plan?

I checked on internet through Satellite -- plans started at $59.99.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:13 PM

97 posts, read 356,435 times
I have a usb port that connects into my laptop. It should work in a regular PC also. They sell them for about $200 I beleive, but there is usually a nice rebate on them. I beleive I ended up paying $50 for mine. Then you pay the monthly internet fee which is around $60/month. If I were you, I would go that route. Then you can get internet anywhere, not just at home.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 PM

14,545 posts, read 19,726,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England 2 Nashville View Post
Help. I've had it with paying close to $160 a month for cable and "high speed" internet (plus an HD DVR).

I'd love to move to a dish, but I'm not sure how I would get internet. I do not have a home phone -- I have two cell phones already (one work, one personal), so the thought of adding a land line just for internet services seems crazy.

Am I stuck?
I have the same problem. I have cable with as you say "high speed" internet and while the internet is okay, the cable part is very limited. I don't see any reason to put in a land phone for some 30 dollars a month I would rather send to my cell provider. With unlimited everything on my cell I don't need a landline.

I reduced the cable to the basic analog with a box, saving about 30 dollars a month. None of the movies and a few of the cable channel spinoffs, but all of it is already broadcast in digital so it comes in in digital anyway.

As far as I can see the best option may be to keep the cable internet and go with dish. I'm checking to see how good the service is though and have been told its sometimes spotty with bad weather. This is also something to check. And they require a contract where cable does not.

These are some things to look into. There is also a dish form of internet but it is seperate and requires its own antenna and is priced seperately as well. I don't know the prices but you could check on that.

I'll be checking in on this thread to see if anyone has come up with any ideas.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 PM

14,545 posts, read 19,726,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
You can get something called an AirCard. Cricket sells them for $59 (last time I saw a commercial for it). I have a friend that uses a Sprint one but I'm not sure what other carriers sell them. It's way way way better than a landline connection because it uses the cell phone towers for internet, meaning you can use it wherever, whenever, granted there is cell phone reception where you're trying to use it.

As far as the high cable bill, call Comcast & tell them you're thinking of switching & see if they'll cut you a deal.
I checked into this before and was told the speed was much slower. Do you have noticable slowing in videos and downloads?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:20 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,668,254 times
The AirCard does involve a monthly plan in addition to the card itself. To me it's the logical route to go because you can use it anywhere there is cell phone reception, which these days is probably where you'll be most of the time.

Nightbird, I don't have one, I use my iphone for internet & cut out my internet bill at home altogether. My friend that has a Sprint AirCard has never complained about speed except for one time when she was camping. She thought she would finish up a college paper on her trip & e-mail it to her professor. Well, she was in BFE & had to drive pretty far away from the campsite to pick up reception to send the e-mail. But that's an extreme example.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
As far as I can see the best option may be to keep the cable internet and go with dish. I'm checking to see how good the service is though and have been told its sometimes spotty with bad weather. This is also something to check. And they require a contract where cable does not.
Thanks, I think this may be my best bet. Iguess I'll contact Comcast and try to see how expensive it is to just have cable internet without anything else. I'm guessing it will be more than the $42.95 I am charged currently.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
The AirCard does involve a monthly plan in addition to the card itself. To me it's the logical route to go because you can use it anywhere there is cell phone reception, which these days is probably where you'll be most of the time.
It would be, but I can't see myself lugging my desktop PC around from place to place. I am starting to feel like I am the only person left that has a desktop PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville