Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 01:20 PM

16 posts, read 75,587 times

Advertisements

vlv723, I would avoid Highway 255/Harding Pl. as well. You might want to consider Murfreesboro. It used to be a primarily college town but has grown quite a bit over the years. Now it just all seems to be commercialized with strip malls and no zoning. I lived there for 2 years while in school before I transferred. Seems to be more to do there now than when I was there between 97 and 99.

I will advise you that the Smyrna / La Vergne is very family 2.5 kids, etc. Not much of a scene for anyone single and in their 20's. If you are looking for some night life and wanting to meet other people your age, I would recommend the West End / 21st Avenue / Hillsboro Village / Mid-town / Belmont area. Lots to do and lots that you can walk to. If you lived in that area and worked in Smyrna, you would be going against traffic so your commute wouldn't be bad at all even though it would probably be 20 miles. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 01:39 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlv723 View Post
Hey UNT, the only thing I don't like is traffic...I used to work in Los Angeles/Orange County, and it took me 2 hours to get to the office even though it's about 20-30 miles away. Now, it's 8 miles and about a 15-20 minute drive.

Murfreesboro is one place I'll consider.

Any other places other than Craigslist or Roommates.com that I can find a room? Thanks for the help again in advance!
You could try the classified ads in the Tennessean local newspaper for roomates/rooms.
Also try rent.com

Let me know how it works out

Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
That would be a ridiculous daily drive from the West End area to Smyrna every day; especially for a guy that isn't fond of long commutes.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:43 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
That would be a ridiculous daily drive from the West End area to Smyrna every day; especially for a guy that isn't fond of long commutes.
I agree. I think since he's single and Murfreesboro being the college town it is that I would consider Murfreesboro.
There is a lot to do there , nightlife , shopping , restaurants. It is not far from Smyrna at all.

Diane G

Old 12-20-2007, 05:58 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,105 times
You don't want to live anywhere off i24/south nashville...sketchy area. you're mid 20s, i would want to be closer to nashville than murfreesboro-that's way out. coming from hillsboro village area should be a reverse commute, BUT maybe a good alternative would be Crieve Hall (around Harding Place and I65)...you could find a roommate situation in a house, have a place for your dog, cut over Harding Place to 24 then south to smyrna for work AND crieve hall is accessible to everything worth going to in nashville-greenhills, downtown, hillsboro village...that's what I would do in your shoes.

but here's a place for cheap in smyrna though...you wont find anything that cheap closer to nashville (in the hood maybe)
http://nashville.craigslist.org/roo/514818096.html (broken link)

good luck in the search

Old 12-20-2007, 07:48 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Agree. I would spend the money and deal with the commute and live in West End or Hillsboro.

When my husband and I moved from NYC to Nashville in 2003 I worked in La Vergne and it was like a bizarre new world to me, serious culture shock. Do yourself a favor and live near the city and enjoy the nightlife, it will make the transition easier.

I should mention that I love Nashville now...but I still avoid La Vergne like the plague

Old 12-20-2007, 08:31 PM

16 posts, read 95,536 times
Hi All,

I really appreciate all the advice you've given.

So now, my goal is to find a roommate in Green Hills/Hillsboro area and hopefully it will accept my dog...it's a small dog.

I've seen that place in Smyrna...I am a quiet guy, but since I'll be new to the area, it'll be better off to explore the city and nightlife.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:05 AM

Bump...

So, after talking with family, they recommend living independently, even if it's a studio.

I did see 2 studio apartments: one nearby the airport and another in Madison, TN. The one in the airport (on Thompson Lane) is less than $400 while the Madison one is probably between the $450 range.

I don't have much to bring besides my personal belongings (clothes, computer, car, etc.) and my dog. I can just buy furniture off of Craigslist or Wal-Mart =P

I still want to live with roommates but two things concern me besides having a dog, which I know most won't accept:

-Race factor: I'm Asian/Pacific Islander...or should I say, Filipino. I wonder if that will be a problem finding roommates.
-Should I start finding now or when I get there? If I choose to get there, what is a cheap place where I can temporarily live while I look to find a place. My co-worker would let me but since he has cats and I have a dog...wouldn't be a good idea.

Please advise...thanks again in advance.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:25 AM

625 posts, read 4,571,105 times
I don't think your race will be an issue with finding a roommate, especially if it's in the city-there are some Asians around Nashville...I hate to say it, but unless you get a cheap apartment around a college area in a place like Madison or near the airport you might be living next to a crackhead...it will be tough finding a place long distance, so if I were you I would crash at your coworkers place and throw them a little cash while you look...try to figure out a way to have your dog get along with the cat

then look around craigslist for a good housing situation-good luck

Old 12-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Hey all,

So I might finally close the deal with a person who is renting a room in Brentwood. So hopefully, once I finally hit the city limits, I can go straight moving in.

Now, from what the person told me, there's no internet available (which I really need), I'm willing to get the service myself. What internet services are available in the Brentwood area. I need to find something that is fast and not too expensive.

Also, what is a good gym to go to and how much is the monthly membership? Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville