Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 AM

75 posts, read 198,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_and_Tori View Post
I use to live in Nashville back in 2007-2008 and yes the summers are hot and humid - I'm sure this year was worse so I'm not arguing that fact - but you had to know you're not going to get SoCal weather in Nashville. My family and I currently live in Phoenix, AZ and summer was miserable, but we expect that living here - just like we'd expect hot and ungodly humid conditions if living in Jacksonville, FL (I use to live that and can confirm that was exactly what summer was like). Temps in Nashville aren't that bad. It's like anywhere else in the country, you deal with a few bad months then get the rest of the year to enjoy the seasons and great climate. Winters aren't very harsh there and again you get seasons!

As for bad drivers, show me a state where people aren't bad drivers. It's human nature to find the flaws in others - and driving is no exception. I've now lived in Michigan, Indiana, Florida, Arizona, and Tennessee - as well as working in Texas, Arkansas, California, Washington, and many other states. There are bad drivers everywhere - it's not a regional thing, it's a nationwide problem. I'm sure a daily comparison of the nashville traffic reports compared to those of L.A. would prove traffic conditions are much worse in L.A.

If people want to move back to California where gas prices are much higher, cost of living is still outrageous, energy costs are soaring, air quality is poor, traffic jams are the norm (and take away hours of your precious day), but weather is good, then let them go. Nashville may not be perfect, but then again there is no perfect place to live in this world. Every place has its flaws, but having lived in Nashville and considering moving back I have to say the Nashville area offers a lot of great qualities for single people, married couples, families with kids, and empty nesters. Not many places can cover all those categories, so Nashville definitely is unique.
It's nice to see someone write something positive about Nashville instead of negative!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 PM

815 posts, read 2,017,065 times
It just amazes me how people think that Nashville is on a island of its own when it comes to weather. Whatever kind of weather the majority of the Eastern US experience we experience it righ here in Nashville. This was a very hot summer, it was a very hot summer all across most of the central and eastern half of the US, not just in Nashville. The winter was one of the coldest in the eastern half, and Nashville did not excape the extreem cold. So with TN and CA being many states apart of coarse you are going to notice a difference in weather, but with in the 20 smthn states closer to us our weather stays pretty similiar.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:04 PM

26 posts, read 77,099 times
Antioch, you're correct in that Nashville isn't isolated from poor weather or exempt from experiencing the same cold fronts that sweep the rest of the nation. Difference is people don't expect to experience that type of weather when you're as far south as Nashville is. That said, its ignorant to expect every day to be perfect - even the folks in Southern Cal get bad weather from time to time. Nashville allows someone to experience seasons without having to deal with all the snow of living in northern states or the extreme bitter cold (again like the northern states). Yes it gets cold in the winter, it gets hot and humid in the summer - it rains and sometimes even snows a bit too - but all in all its pretty enjoyable weather compared to other places. The only downside to Nashville, as far as weather goes, is the tornado factor (but again thats a problem all over the country, not just in Nashville or TN).

Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 AM

455 posts, read 1,139,691 times
If you currently live in Southern California and love the cool temperate low-humidity weather and proximity to the ocean, it does NOT make sense to move to Tennessee. You will most likely be miserable here for the entire summer and then miserable again in the winter when the temps are in the 20s and 30s and we have ice storms.

Cost of living is high in Cali in part because the weather is so great that everyone wants to live there.

Cost of living is lower in places like Tennessee in part because you've got to be a little tough to be able to handle the weather.

(I'm not saying tough as in being able to take Minnesota winters, or even Chicago winters, but it ain't going to be another day at the beach in January.)

As for the Jewish question, I'm Jewish (although I don't wear any outward symbols) and have never had any negative experiences in nine months living here. There are several synagogues, JCC, etc.

People strike me as being consistently more friendly in Nashville than in other cities where I have lived or visited.

Drivers are *generally* easy going and friendly. People will let you go first at a stop sign, very little honking (as opposed to NYC where people will honk behind you BEFORE the stoplight turns green). On the other hand, I do agree with the person who said people have a mysterious habit of turning left in front of oncoming traffic and just assuming you'll be able to stop. It's a miracle that there aren't more accidents as a result. But once you're used to that, it becomes a rather uneventful and expected thing. And I guess people tend to run red lights sometimes, but again I think most drivers at the other axis of the intersection expect that and don't hit the gas the second the light turns green. (FYI, one reason you may think a lot of people run red lights is because TN seems to have the longest yellow lights I've ever seen and so people gun the engine to make it through on yellow).

Outside of rush hours and away from Green Hills, Nashville traffic is typically a breeze. During rush hours when you're stuck in traffic on a little two-lane side street or stopped on Harding Pike, it may remind you of So. Cal.

Do you love sushi, tofu, organic greens and generally light and healthy cuisine? You may want to stay in L.A.

Do you crave grits, fried chicken, BBQ and sweet tea? Nashville could be just your speed.

(Yes, I am stereotyping. Nashville has a couple sushi places, an organic restaurant or four and even a couple Whole Foods Markets. But you'll be happiest with the restaurant scene here if you love American food. In 10 years, that may change as Nashville continues to diversity and the Mexican / Latin American restaurant scene in particular seems likely to thrive.)

Old 09-12-2010, 05:56 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 691,879 times
Here is my .02. As Californians who have been considering a move to TN, we know that moving across country is a big decision and though we are sold on our relocation, we are planning our third trip to Nashville to do some more visiting and hanging out in our future town of residence.

Our first trip took place in the summer of 2005. We knew Nashville has hot hunid summers and we wanted to spend some time in that humidity to get a gauge of whether we thought we could stand it.

Oddly enough, San Diego had a HOTTER, more HUMID summer than Nashville during our visit. San Diegans were sweltering while we were having a very nice (though hot and humid) summer visit. One of the differences is that to run the AC in California would cost $700-800 a month--much cheaper to cool the same home in TN.

This summer in San Diego has been disappointingly cool while the East coast has had a very hot summer. Last summer was much, much hotter and we set up an above-ground pool to stay cool over the summer here.

Our second trip to Nashville was in October 2007. It was great weather and we had another wonderful time with new friends and learning about different areas we have thought about settling down in.

This trip we are coming out in November. We're looking forward to another great visit! We become more emotionally invested in TN every trip we make. I can't wait to come out for a winter visit!

Due to job uncertainity, we are on what we call the "10 year plan" and so what was once our imminent move, is now stretched out. But we are enjoying our visits and are as excited as ever about moving to Nashville.

I cannot compare the negatives of Nashville to the negatives of California. There is no comparison to me. California continues to go downhill and our taxes continue to go up at the same time.

Not sure if my experience helps anyone in their own search to find the perfect place to move their family, but if it does, then feel free to ask me more questions.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

49 posts, read 141,141 times
I agree with Vivelafrance on everything. I have a really good friend that moved here from California. I am sure she would be willing to talk with you if you want. Contact me anytime. This WAS a much hotter summer than usual for many eastern parts of the US. However, the weather in California is pretty top notch, so I am sure it would not be quite the same if you move anywhere from there. It is humid here, but not as humid as some parts of Texas and other states south of us (like Louisiana and Florida). If you have ever been to Ohio or Michigan, it is humid in the summers there a little, but more here (we are like the in between on humidity). I try to schedule appointments around rush hour traffic and live in Murfreesboro (about 35 min. (nonrush hour) from downtown Nashville). If you live in certain places and know back roads, you can avoid most of the traffic, even in Nashville. If you will be working typical work hours and commuting to Nashville, you will most likely have heavy traffic like most any other major city. The people are awesome here, the mood is generally good, and I personally love it. I have never heard of anyone (but one) not liking it that moved here from anywhere in the country. I worked in the rental business for 5 years moving people into apartments. I work with people coming in from all over still (another 5.5 years) and have not met anyone personally that didn't love it here (but the one). The one person I knew that didn't like it here had a very confident, opinionated turn that clashed with people a lot. Yeah, I would not let weather get you down here, like IngleDave said. It is all about your own attitude and choosing to be negative or positive about it! I use that driving time for prayer, music, or just thinking about things. I think we all need that time anyway.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNB View Post
Here is my .02. As Californians who have been considering a move to TN, we know that moving across country is a big decision and though we are sold on our relocation, we are planning our third trip to Nashville to do some more visiting and hanging out in our future town of residence.

Our first trip took place in the summer of 2005. We knew Nashville has hot hunid summers and we wanted to spend some time in that humidity to get a gauge of whether we thought we could stand it.

Oddly enough, San Diego had a HOTTER, more HUMID summer than Nashville during our visit. San Diegans were sweltering while we were having a very nice (though hot and humid) summer visit. One of the differences is that to run the AC in California would cost $700-800 a month--much cheaper to cool the same home in TN.

This summer in San Diego has been disappointingly cool while the East coast has had a very hot summer. Last summer was much, much hotter and we set up an above-ground pool to stay cool over the summer here.

Our second trip to Nashville was in October 2007. It was great weather and we had another wonderful time with new friends and learning about different areas we have thought about settling down in.

This trip we are coming out in November. We're looking forward to another great visit! We become more emotionally invested in TN every trip we make. I can't wait to come out for a winter visit!

Due to job uncertainity, we are on what we call the "10 year plan" and so what was once our imminent move, is now stretched out. But we are enjoying our visits and are as excited as ever about moving to Nashville.

I cannot compare the negatives of Nashville to the negatives of California. There is no comparison to me. California continues to go downhill and our taxes continue to go up at the same time.

Not sure if my experience helps anyone in their own search to find the perfect place to move their family, but if it does, then feel free to ask me more questions.
Your experience sure helps me (thanks). I'm in Huntington Beach and like you we are planning our exodus from California after retirement (or layoff) for the same reasons. All signs seem to point to Tennessee although I have never been there (yet). The wife and I are planning on making visits starting next year and might start with checking out the Cookeville area. We are boaters so I want to be close to water. One of my concerns is the humidity difference but your experience and comparison to San Diego is enlightening. I'll have to keep an eye on your posts as well as the great people on this forum from Tennessee.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 PM

70 posts, read 174,028 times
Default remedy1

Hey Folks, I just saw this thread. This Thursday, I am fulfilling a 5 year dream and moving out of So Cal to Cookeville, TN. Everyone who was complaining about the summer, we had the hottest day in history in Oct. It was 213 degrees in downtown L.A. That's right, not the desert or the Valley, but downtown. Try to remember all those idiot drivers in L.A. that would cut you off and then give you the middle finger salute. Remember when it took you an hour to go 20 miles instead of 70. Try to remember people that showed no consideration or courtesy towards you as they do in the South.

Well the house is sold here and the movers are coming. We'll be in Cookeville seven days after that. My house in White Plains is calling to me and I can't wait to get there and experience all the good things in Tennessee and I'm sorry, but I won't be looking for things to complain about. Cookeville, here we come!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:22 AM

106 posts, read 175,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSEA View Post
. Everyone who was complaining about the summer, we had the hottest day in history in Oct. It was 213 degrees in downtown L.A. That's right, not the desert or the Valley, but downtown.
213 Degrees??? Yikes

Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
Default I love L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1130 View Post
213 Degrees??? Yikes
I heard the news that day about downtown L.A. setting the record of 113 degrees F that day. Every October they get desert wind (Santa Ana winds) blowing towards the ocean. I lived in Redondo beach, and it is pretty flipped out when you have really cold ocean with scorching air temperatures. The rest of the year sees the L.A. basin highs in the 70's or mid 80's. Except when I first moved out there one February when they had mid 90's for days on end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville