Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 AM

34 posts, read 104,078 times

Advertisements

I must be the only person in the country who likes cicadas (aka "katydids", aka "locusts" though not true locusts). I like all their racket, and they're so cool looking. But we hear them every year, not just once in 13 or 17 years. All those bugs and the drastic weather changes are even worse in Kansas than Tennessee. I'm used to everything but the tornadoes.

So glad you're happy. In some of the other forums I'm reading, transplants have a little harder time making friends, so make a point to keep a special eye peeled for those 'transplanted' folks and give 'em a hearty Tennessee welcome! Who cares if you yourself aren't "from there".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM

126 posts, read 326,968 times
Welcome..I hope you settling in..best wishes to you and your family..

Old 07-07-2012, 10:18 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Yep, this is true. I live in L.A. and my husband and I are moving to Nashville in January. We are so excited.
Nashville ... interesting since I'm heading the same direction.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,741 times
Default Santa Monica Los Angeles to Nashville

My husband and I and 11 month old son are considering making a move to nashville for new a job for my husband and a much lower cost of living. I am curious if anyone has made this move and how they adjusted. What was hard what they like don't like. I am originally from Southern California and my husband originally from Arkansas but has lived here for 13 years.

We love santa Monica but are fed up with the cost of living. Our budget here is 700 k and we can't buy anything.

What neighborhoods in the nashville area have good schools are somewhat walkable and where we could purchase a sfr for 400k ish. Is that reasonable?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
In my experience, a lot of Californians have a hard time leaving California . . . for anywhere! But TN does have a lower cost of housing. Not sure about the cost of living as you do have to pay for heat here, which you generally don't need much of in Santa Monica.

This website is a good place to start. I would look in Williamson County as it has the best schools - although I've heard CA has great ones. Put in your $400,000 cap and see how far your money will go here and see if it's what you expected. There is a misconception that Nashville is cheap, and it's not.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

Not a whole lot of "walkable" neighborhoods to be honest . . unless you can find something near downtown Franklin in your price range, or some of the large subdivisions have amenities you can walk to - like Westhaven (you can look by subdivision on RealTracs).

Are you considering anywhere else??

Old 06-12-2013, 09:07 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
It's not an easy transition for everyone. These recent threads will help:

//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...l-tn-some.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...tennessee.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...nashville.html

Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 PM

142 posts, read 205,730 times
We can make a trade. You move here to lovely Tn and I'll move back to Los Angeles ...so my bones will stop hurting, my allergies will go away, and my weight will go back to normal

Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erehs059 View Post
We can make a trade. You move here to lovely Tn and I'll move back to Los Angeles ...so my bones will stop hurting, my allergies will go away, and my weight will go back to normal
And I'll be right with you! Yes on all three of what you said.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
And I'll be right with you! Yes on all three of what you said.
Wait ... what's making everybody's bones hurt??

Old 06-12-2013, 10:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Wait ... what's making everybody's bones hurt??

Not so much the bones but more the joints for me. Way too much sitting, driving, lack of walking like I did in SF, lack of training on my bike, and the cold weather have all contributed, I'm sure. Totally different lifestyle compounded by the fact that I still have to work West Coast hours means everything us thrown out if whack. But the worst is the cold. I gave Reynaud's syndrome so anything below about 55F is painful. The winter was torture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville