Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:58 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else feel a bit manipulated by Aldi? To me, part of their cost-saving policies are just marketing to make customers think they're getting a great deal; I mean, if the store is so cheap that they don't even give you free bags for your groceries and charge you a quarter for a shopping cart, well, it must be the cheapest place in town, right?

The one out on Charlotte Pike was the first one in the Nashville area, I think. I went there a few times when it first opened because Ms Cheap in The Tennessean raved about it so much, but I haven't been back much in the past couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 02:40 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
Alleycat, to me I go back time & time again because I am getting a great deal. You get your quarter back for the shopping cart too btw.

Two of my absolute favorite things to buy there are the chilled glass bottles of coffee & Caesar salad kits. The mocha drink is $1.10 (I think) & the kits are $1.99 (I think, next time I go I'll check). The coffee drink is excellent & if I was buying the Starbucks brand in another store, even in bulk, the price can't compare. Now that's probably not the most fair comparison because we all know Starbucks is generally conceived as expensive for what it is but honestly I just don't know of any other widely available bottled iced lattes to refer to. The Caesar salad kit includes the large bag of lettuce, parmesan cheese, croutons & the dressing. It costs at least that much just for a bag of lettuce at most places. So to answer your question, no, I don't feel manipulated at all.

Out of personal curiosity what is "the cheapest place in town" because you kind of indicated that Aldi's is not, so if they aren't who do you think beats their prices overall?

Old 02-07-2009, 02:52 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
BTW, I wasn't arguing with anyone, just stating my own opinion.

Maybe it's just me. I also feel the whole "membership" thing (Sam's Club, Costco) is just clever marketing.

I used to work for a design firm that did store design at times. People would probably be amazed at the number of things done to manipulate a customer once they're in a store (that isn't a complaint, just a statement). Probably everyone knows about fruity, chocolaty breakfast cereals being placed where little tikes can grab them, but are probably much less aware of the things that are done to encourage their own purchases.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:52 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
Out of personal curiosity what is "the cheapest place in town" because you kind of indicated that Aldi's is not, so if they aren't who do you think beats their prices overall?
Wal-Mart.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:09 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
It's interesting the only alternative given, Trader Joe's, is owned by the same family as Aldi, one brother has one & the other has another. Obviously they believe in great products at great prices.
Trader joe is not cheap...used to be...completely different stores..tj is upscale...aldi is much lower

Old 02-19-2009, 08:01 PM

45 posts, read 166,409 times
Haven't posted here since we actually succeeded in moving to Nashville (Inglewood to be precise). Just got back from our first trip to Aldi's. Strong, but not unpleasant smell upon entering (drywall? paint?) It smelled new and clean. Then I immediately felt like I was shopping in a Soviet-bloc country (no brands i recognized) which was kind of fun. We really needed milk and bread, but the 2% was less than a week from the expiration date, and the bread looked like spongy stuff, so no go there.

Got a bunch of frozen fish at between $4-6/lb and will compare to Trader Joe's. Got frozen chicken tamales which we just had and they were good. Produce looked sketchy. Potatoes, for example, looked pretty sad. BUT, that said, we got three large bags of food for $46. (used our own TJ's reusable shopping bags). Definitely some good deals to be found but it will take some trial and (no doubt) error to figure this place out.
Oh: be forwarned -- they don't take credit cards, only debit cards. Weird.

Last edited by whithill; 02-19-2009 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: forgot somethign

Old 02-20-2009, 05:49 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,934 times
Trader Joe's may not be inexpensive but it's not expensive either. I find their prices to be acceptable and some are very good. Most recently I found excellent prices on walnuts and salmon there. Oh...the beer prices aren't bad either and the selection is pretty darn good!

If you eat bacon, TJ's brand is very reasonably priced and it's "nice" bacon.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:27 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Does anyone else feel a bit manipulated by Aldi? To me, part of their cost-saving policies are just marketing to make customers think they're getting a great deal; I mean, if the store is so cheap that they don't even give you free bags for your groceries and charge you a quarter for a shopping cart, well, it must be the cheapest place in town, right?

The one out on Charlotte Pike was the first one in the Nashville area, I think. I went there a few times when it first opened because Ms Cheap in The Tennessean raved about it so much, but I haven't been back much in the past couple of years.
I have often wondered the same thing. I would love to see a new thread on the clever marketing techniques used so I know what to watch out for in the future. I feel like Super Wal Mart, just by virtue of having so many temptations, is the same way. I have to control myself; plus the huge store is a time drain for a quick shopping trip. I have felt like Sam's, Costco, etc. were good deals only if you were a very smart and astute shopper. Certainly not every item in the store is a good buy. I am ok with Aldi's as far as my own bags because I use them anyway but help in bagging and such would be nice. I also feel that a portion of the population are shut out of Aldi's because of their do it yourself style. I am talking about the physically limited folks whether it be from age or disability.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
Trader Joe's may not be inexpensive but it's not expensive either. I find their prices to be acceptable and some are very good. Most recently I found excellent prices on walnuts and salmon there. Oh...the beer prices aren't bad either and the selection is pretty darn good!

If you eat bacon, TJ's brand is very reasonably priced and it's "nice" bacon.
I agree. I don't think TJ's is very expensive at all considering what you're getting. It's not the place to go for cheap, gummy white bread or generic peanut butter. But for more gourmet items and delicious prepared foods, it's a bargain compared to places like Fresh Market.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:59 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,934 times
Tonight I'm making TJ's salmon patties. They are the only "pre-fab" ones I've tried that are close to homemade...and sometimes you just don't feel like making them. The price was very reasonable.

Squishy White Bread....ewwww.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville