Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:53 AM

427 posts, read 1,304,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by multics View Post
Check out the metro crime map: Metro Nashville Interactive Crime Maps

Crime does happen everywhere, even in a place as expensive and upscale as Green Hills. However, looking at that map should help you see where certain types of crime are more of a trend than an anomaly.
And keep in mind the surrounding counties don't put their stats online, so it's very difficult to make comparisons with those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 12:24 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,010,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
And keep in mind the surrounding counties don't put their stats online, so it's very difficult to make comparisons with those areas.
You keep harping on this point, but get serious. Do you really think that places like Brentwood, Franklin, Hendersonville, and Mt. Juliet are trying to hide something? Whether they put their stats online or not, if you think crime levels in those areas are CLOSE to what they are in Antioch, Madison, East Nashville, etc., you are delusional. I don't think anyone is claiming that there are completely crime-free areas around Nashville, but you would be a fool to think that a city like Brentwood is withholding Antioch-like crime stats by not putting their numbers online.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
You keep harping on this point, but get serious. Do you really think that places like Brentwood, Franklin, Hendersonville, and Mt. Juliet are trying to hide something? Whether they put their stats online or not, if you think crime levels in those areas are CLOSE to what they are in Antioch, Madison, East Nashville, etc., you are delusional. I don't think anyone is claiming that there are completely crime-free areas around Nashville, but you would be a fool to think that a city like Brentwood is withholding Antioch-like crime stats by not putting their numbers online.
I'm not saying that at all. Where exactly have I ever said anyone was hiding anything?

My point is that it's simply not okay to point out the crime in Nashville because our crime maps are online, and to ignore the fact that crime happens everywhere.

It's also not okay to paint entire areas with a broad brush. I welcome the opportunity to put the crime stats of my Madison neighborhood up against any Hendersonville neighborhood. But I can't, because Hendersonville maps simply aren't available.

It's easy to point at the negatives of someone else's area when your own negatives aren't easily available.

And I'll keep harping on the point for just as long as those in the suburbs keep referring to Davidson maps to imply how safe their own neighborhoods are.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM

63 posts, read 279,663 times
For the record, I refer to the Davidson county maps because I live in Davidson county

Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 PM

149 posts, read 477,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
I consider those areas in "transition". have you seen some of the newer developments along Main Street??? They rival anything built in Nashville in the last couple of years!

I don't buy the notion that E. Nashville has parts that are dead and gone. I drive through there often and I have yet to really find that to be the case. "Dead and gone" would apply to some neighhoods in a certain city to our southwest, but not here atleast.

I don't have the time, but I would love to disect your demographic break-down above. It's eerily similar to something someone without much current knowledge of the city would come up with. Basically, if you watch the news everyday (read the paper etc.) and that's it, this is how you would break this city apart. I expect better from someone from Forrest Hills.......or do I?

What developments on Main st? I drove through the area two months ago and noticed some poor looking people. Some security bars on windows, and generally some beer stores. I also 30 inch rims matching the hip hop style. What developments are you talking about?

Old 02-04-2009, 04:11 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,826,416 times
If you didn't notice any developments on Main Street other than "poor looking people" and security bars then you weren't looking very hard because Main Street is not an extremely long stretch of road.

This website is the most obvious example of new development on Main Street: 5andm

Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
I'm not saying that at all. Where exactly have I ever said anyone was hiding anything?

My point is that it's simply not okay to point out the crime in Nashville because our crime maps are online, and to ignore the fact that crime happens everywhere.

It's also not okay to paint entire areas with a broad brush. I welcome the opportunity to put the crime stats of my Madison neighborhood up against any Hendersonville neighborhood. But I can't, because Hendersonville maps simply aren't available.

It's easy to point at the negatives of someone else's area when your own negatives aren't easily available.

And I'll keep harping on the point for just as long as those in the suburbs keep referring to Davidson maps to imply how safe their own neighborhoods are.
I'm sure your neighborhood is fine, but I don't think anyone needs "crime maps" to determine that there are many more "negatives" regarding Madison (or Antioch) crime as a whole than any of the cities I mentioned in my last post. Publishing "crime maps" for Hendersonville or Brentwood would be a waste of taxpayer money, as there isn't all that much to report. It would for the most part appear as a light smattering of minor incidents not confined to one area. There is no "bad" part of town in those cities, hence the lack of need for "crime maps."

Old 02-04-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
If you didn't notice any developments on Main Street other than "poor looking people" and security bars then you weren't looking very hard because Main Street is not an extremely long stretch of road.

This website is the most obvious example of new development on Main Street: 5andm
Huh? All that web site did was trigger my virus alert and shut down my browser.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
It would for the most part appear as a light smattering of minor incidents not confined to one area. There is no "bad" part of town in those cities, hence the lack of need for "crime maps."
Prove it.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,144,781 times
You can get raw data on crime from the FBI site. Just go to the Uniform Crime Reporting Program(UCR) and you will get number of incidents per 100,000 population by city for both violent and non-violent crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville