Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times

Advertisements

Wow, the Music City Center is really massive. I knew it was going to be big, and I have seen some of the older construction pics, but seeing it with the roof done really illustrates the scale of that thing.

TBH, it looks like it might be too large. It really dwarfs everything else. I hope they are able to do a lot to make it interactive with the street, otherwise it could end up being a barrier to foot traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 12:32 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
The sidewalk area is going to be significant, but especially on the north and east sides. If you go to the nashville music city center website and click on the construction camera, you can see that even part of the roof provides a canopy for pedestrians, so they could stand outside the building even when it's raining and not get wet.

Along the Korean Veterans Boulevard (south) side, not only are there sidewalks, but they have been designed with a small greenspace between the sidewalk and the street. So the sidewalks all the way around the center are ample, well thought out, and aesthetic.

One additional tidbit is that both 6th and 7th streets go through the structure, the structure providing a sort of tunnel, so you don't have to go all the way around the structure if you're trying to get from the Demonbreun St. side of it to the KVB side of it, or vice-versa. They are the two rectangular cut-outs in the side of the building, 1/3rd the way down and 2/3 the way down, that appear in the photos.

The reason it's not TOO large is because it was designed to accommodate the larger conventions, which Nashville was missing out on before due to insufficient capacity. I have read that some of the larger conventions have expressed significant interest and are booking the facility in the post-completion months. So its size already seems to have accomplished what it intended to in drawing in the larger customers.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Wow, the Music City Center is really massive. I knew it was going to be big, and I have seen some of the older construction pics, but seeing it with the roof done really illustrates the scale of that thing.

TBH, it looks like it might be too large. It really dwarfs everything else. I hope they are able to do a lot to make it interactive with the street, otherwise it could end up being a barrier to foot traffic.
Yes, it's definitely a big block of space.

It does dwarf everything in terms of footprint, but I think it won't look quite as dominating once some other development builds in around it.

As for interaction with the street, the KVB side (bottom of the picture) is supposed to have street level retail space. There are also plans to redo the rear of the arena to improve the back entrance, and I've heard they want to put retail along the street there, too (Demonbreun St). Hopefully that, along with streetscape improvements, will make it more inviting for pedestrian traffic.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
One additional tidbit is that both 6th and 7th streets go through the structure, the structure providing a sort of tunnel, so you don't have to go all the way around the structure if you're trying to get from the Demonbreun St. side of it to the KVB side of it, or vice-versa. They are the two rectangular cut-outs in the side of the building, 1/3rd the way down and 2/3 the way down, that appear in the photos.
MantaRay, thanks for the info on the cut-outs/continuation of 6th and 7th streets. Do you know if those roads/cut-outs are going to be for the use of autos only or if they are going to try to make them pedestrian friendly as well?

One of the reasons I sometimes dislike mega-projects is b/c they can have the effect of creating a wall and effectively cutting off a section of town. Continuing the street grid is a great way to mitigate that effect.

Nashvols, as always thanks for the photographic updates. Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread with my questions.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
MantaRay, thanks for the info on the cut-outs/continuation of 6th and 7th streets. Do you know if those roads/cut-outs are going to be for the use of autos only or if they are going to try to make them pedestrian friendly as well?

One of the reasons I sometimes dislike mega-projects is b/c they can have the effect of creating a wall and effectively cutting off a section of town. Continuing the street grid is a great way to mitigate that effect.

Nashvols, as always thanks for the photographic updates. Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread with my questions.
Actually, only 6th goes completely through. I think 7th is going to be a freight entrance on the KVB side.

6th will go under the exhibit hall, and will connect to the underground parking in the middle of the building. I imagine there will be sidewalks through the building there...but that doesn't necessarily make it "pedestrian friendly." We'll just have to see.

For more detail on the plans, look here:
http://www.nashvillemusiccitycenter....visionplan.pdf

Warning: it's a pretty large PDF file.

Here's a couple recent photos from the other side.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Quote:
Well, like nashvols said, the sidewalks won't necessarily make them all that pedestrian-friendly per-se, but think of it like this- the grand exterior sidewalks are condusive for gathering, hanging out, etc. which would be reasonable considering the surrounding uses. The 6th and 7th street cut-throughs won't really have that same function- no reason for people to just be hanging out there, only traveling from Point A to Point B. So it really would not make a whole lot of sense to splurge on grand sidewalks there. Plus, it's not like you can put plantings in there either to make it aesthetic because you lose sunlight in tunnels.

The project stated somewhere that a primary use is for loading/unloading from vehicles to the convention interior, for example, food trucks delivering to a kitchen area, that kind of thing. Again, a purpose other than gathering or visually impressing. So the cut-through sidewalks should be much more basic than what will surround the center. So I suppose you could say the cut-throughs will have basic pedestrian-friendliness.

Here is a news story on the cut-throughs.

I've seen the Philadelphia example cited in the story myself. It's functional and has enough room to walk without having to be right at the curbside. There's enough room to wheel carts, etc. onto the sidewalk from temporarily parked vehicles and still leave walking room.

Last edited by MantaRay; 07-17-2012 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 PM

Flickr: ravend's Photostream

Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Well, here is some of what I came up with on my quick trip through Nashville. Nice city, have always liked it.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:06 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,772 times
Excellent photos! Thank you so much for sharing these with us! You do some awesome work.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville