Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 AM

14 posts, read 45,071 times

Advertisements

I just found out that I was accepted to Vanderbilt's MFA program. Though all my tuition will be waived and I have a scholarship and stipend, I know that will not be enough money to live off of all year. So, my questions are:

1. For a one bedroom apt. w/in a reasonable distance to Vandy, what should I expect for rent? I do have a 20lb. Terrier who will come with me. Are some utilities generally included?
2. Quality and size-wise what would I expect in the $700-$750 (no utilities included) price range for a one bedroom or *really* big studio--again I have a dog.
3. What is the public transit like? Will I have to drive to campus or can I bus it?
4. Are there any highly walkable neighborhoods that aren't super expensive?
5. I'm originally from Kansas City (now live in Austin, Texas), and am not averse to living close to urban "grit" so long as I know what neighborhoods to stay out of. Where should I steer clear of completely? (i.e a place where my car will most definitely be stolen and I will most definitely be held up taking my dog out to do his business after dark). Mind you, I don't consider graffitti, dirt, or anything less than pristine suburbs inherently dangerous.
6. Anything else I need to know! :-)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:41 AM

153 posts, read 689,248 times
This was recently discussed in the context of purchasing in a cheap area near vanderbilt:
//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...t-commute.html

It would certainly seem to me that you are also looking in either east nashville or north nashville depending on your price/grittiness preference...but you can certainly get a little bit of a feel for what you want from other threads on this site.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:39 PM

13 posts, read 49,487 times
I live in Murfreesboro and from what I hear, East Nashville is where you DO NOT want to live! My sister in law worked at Vanderbilt, at first she commuted from here. Then she moved to Bellvue. I would try to look at places other than East Nashville.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:54 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroMom09 View Post
I live in Murfreesboro and from what I hear, East Nashville is where you DO NOT want to live! My sister in law worked at Vanderbilt, at first she commuted from here. Then she moved to Bellvue. I would try to look at places other than East Nashville.
That's funny I lived in Bellevue and then East Nashville and would never move back. My mortgage payment is half of what it was in Bellevue and my equity in my house is 50% of my buying cost (even now). Have you ever been here besides driving down Gallatin Road? Please don't comment on things you have no idea about. Just read about the Publix getting robbed in Brentwood, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THAT PLACE!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,667 times
LOL about being a broken record but it really is the same old story a different day on city-data...

BoroMom have you ever even been to East Nashville?

I think it's funny that from what you "hear, East Nashville is where you DO NOT want to live". Key word jumping out at me is "hear".

I question, as Yank questioned, how much time have you actually spent there & what bad experiences did you have in East Nashville that make you dismiss an entire area (in all caps) to a person that from all the criteria he provided would probably fit in quite well?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:35 PM

35 posts, read 100,895 times
I agree. East Nashville is not that bad.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:31 PM

63 posts, read 280,405 times
I would recommend the Belmont or Hillsboro Village areas. They're both right next to Vandy, safe, highly walkable, and a pretty interesting place to live overall. You should be able to find an apartment, condo, or duplex in that area, but given the demand in those areas don't expect a ton of amenities or extremely new facilities (not saying they're bad; just that, as someone else on here pointed out a while back, the landlords don't really have the incentive to go nuts decking their properties out to attract tenants).

Other options would be 12South (just east of Belmont/Hillsboro) and Sylvan Park (further west), which are a little further out but still pretty walkable and close to Vandy.

East Nashville is a sensitive and subjective topic on here, so to head off any potential flamewars in your thread I would suggest just reading the many existing threads about that area (unless of course you are interested in living out there).

Old 02-07-2009, 06:28 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,362 times
I haven't lived there in a very long time, but a lot of houses around Fannie May Dees Park had been broken up in to apartments. I had an attic apartment in a house on Natchez Trace when I did grad school at Vandy. Cheap, clean, and convenient. Tiny and no amenities, but I loved the place anyway. One of my downstairs neighbors was a musician, the other worked at the medical center.

This was before the building boom -- when Fido's was still a pet store -- so I'm not sure if all the development has meant those houses are now back to single family or if rents have skyrocketed.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,667 times
I LOVE Hillsboro Village & Fannie Dees park, I just am not optimistic about him being able to find a pet-friendly apartment in his price range without having a roommate.$700-$750 is low for that area unless he expands the search to renting a room in someone's house or above their garage.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:29 PM

13 posts, read 49,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
That's funny I lived in Bellevue and then East Nashville and would never move back. My mortgage payment is half of what it was in Bellevue and my equity in my house is 50% of my buying cost (even now). Have you ever been here besides driving down Gallatin Road? Please don't comment on things you have no idea about. Just read about the Publix getting robbed in Brentwood, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THAT PLACE!!!

WOW!! When I moved to Tennessee I took every opinion that was given. I never stated that "I personally know" about the area. I stated it was hear say. Congratualtions on your house, Im sure everyone who has read your comment is very happy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville