Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 PM

369 posts, read 939,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Personally, I'm hoping team #3 is MLB. The South could use another MLB team.
east tn (knoxville)?

west has basketball
middle has football
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,273,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
east tn (knoxville)?

west has basketball
middle has football
Knoxville isn't big enough to support MLB...and likely won't be for a very long time.

The smallest MLB city is Milwaukee. And that's a small city by MLB terms.

Unlike the NBA and NHL, MLB tends to be in markets with other pro teams. In fact, there is no market that is MLB only.

Kansas City, Cincinnati, Seattle, and Milwaukee are the only markets with MLB and just one other sport. All other markets have either 3 or all 4 major sports.

Combine that with having 81 home dates and at least 2 million in annual attendance, and a market like Knoxville just couldn't support that.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,770,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe123safi View Post
I was talking about city limits. Plus, I do not think Oakland's metro is that big. And, I think SF'S metro is bigger. I could be wrong.
You gotta be kidding to think Nashville's size or mentality of being a big city even compares to any place in the bay area. The bay area is 3 metros in one all connected. Once u leave metro Nashville all you see is sticks. It's not on that level of 'big city'' status.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:03 PM

701 posts, read 2,023,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
east tn (knoxville)?

west has basketball
middle has football
How dare you neglect to mention the NHL (middle)!!! The best team in this great state!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:50 AM

469 posts, read 965,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Why does the cesspool called Memphis have an NBA team and not Nashville? Oakland's are headed to San Francisco I don't see why Nashville can't get the Grizzlies.
First of all the Griizzlies aren't available. The new owner is somewhat bound by multiple millions in penalties if he tried to move the team before 2021. Secondly the difference between the Memphis and Nashville metro areas size at present is not compelling in terms of clear available citizens to support a move like that, hardly worth the risk for an owner (the caveat being that eventually you won't be able to guarantee what an owner will do, for instance the senario of a half Cherokee NFL owner moving his team to happier hunting grounds in a future OKC megalopolis -just sayin!)
The Grizz are not foundering. They have better attendance than ten other teams currently. Attendance is within reasonable range of that of two thirds of the NBA and will make headway with new owner investment.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:27 PM

329 posts, read 631,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Why does the cesspool called Memphis have an NBA team and not Nashville? Oakland's are headed to San Francisco I don't see why Nashville can't get the Grizzlies.
Really though ? I would love Nashville to get a team, the Memphis comment was unnecessary..

Old 06-17-2012, 03:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,619,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Really though ? I would love Nashville to get a team, the Memphis comment was unnecessary..
I agree. Way out of line and full of ignorance.

To answer the OP, Nashville doesn't need an NBA team. We're doing good to keep the two major pro teams we have.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:34 PM

838 posts, read 1,205,745 times
This is all completely my opinion, as a guy that spent a few years in Nashville and now lives in San Antonio. The NBA is a league of predominantly arrogant showboats. There is little to no 'teamwork' in the league as everyone tries to pad their own stats and make a dunk that ends up on Sportscenter. I don't think that kind of league would work in Nashville because the populace doesn't really impress me as being the kind of culture that wants to beat their chest and shout 'LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME'. The NBA is really a much better fit in Memphis.

Hockey on the other hand, has a different kind of player and the players have a different mentality, as a whole, than NBA players. Hockey players are about the team. They typically represent the cities they play in well. It's very rare that you see a hockey player showboating or taunting the other team. Hockey just fits better in Nashville in my opinion.

Honestly, when I am talking to my wife about reasons to move back to Nashville, the sports teams align perfectly with my preferences and I think they represent the culture of the city well. The NHL and NFL for major league sports and AAA baseball and college basketball. In my opinion, you couldn't ask for a better sports combination.

YMMV,
Brian

Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,902,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
qwe123safi,

I was wonder why the NBA put the team in Memphis instead of Nashville?

Do you think it is because Charlotte had a hard time with the team they had?

I believe Preds would have taken too much revenue from an NBA team. In general, the era of 2 different owners for 2 different sports teams in one arena is over (If it ever existed), as first team usually gets piece of everyone elses' events at arena.

20 years ago, if I recall correctly, Nashville was in top 20 markets league was looking at, Memphis did not crack top 50. Duie to Preds, Nashville became DOA NBA short of Preds owners wanting an NBA team.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:31 PM

55 posts, read 100,258 times
What still rightfully bothers a lot of people in Memphis is the outcome of our 30 year quest to get a NFL team.

We tried since the 1960s, including hosting numerous exhibition games, to try and get the NFL to grant us an expansion franchise.

In the 70s, we were supposedly the third choice after the two winners,Seattle and Tampa Bay. In the next expansion we were once again considered in the top 5 with Charlotte, Jacksonville, St. Louis and Baltimore. All of the others either got expansion or relocated teams except for Memphis.

Nashville wasn't even talked about as a potential NFL market and all of a sudden Bud Adams is moving the Oilers to town. Granted, Memphis made a lot of mistakes in our NFL bids. We were touting already having a stadium as being an advantage when the NFL was looking for brand new not a partially renovated Liberty Bowl.

So you can see why there is some bitterness about the Titans in Memphis. But I think as the years go by, that will die out especially with the younger generation that doesn't know that history. My nephews and nieces are all big Titans fans with the oldest being 30.

It is good for Tennessee to have the Titans, Predators and Grizzlies in the state and good that at least one of those teams is in the state's largest city, Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville