Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:40 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh people. I wasn't giving advice on leaving door unlocked. My point is that Iowa City is a smaller, college town. There is NO crime there. People leave doors unlocked and windows down, and nothing happens. I'm not suggesting you do that. It's just an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Attention all criminals! Unlocked doors and car windows abound in Iowa City! Now you know. Go get 'em!

On a serious note, this is just not good advice for anywhere. The only time I've ever had my car broken into was on my "safe" college campus (Sewanee) where this kind of advice was doled out regularly. Be smart and sensible and your chances of being a victim are much lower no matter where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 02:44 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
My point is that Iowa City is a smaller, college town. There is NO crime there.
Except for the 30 rapes, 142 assaults, and 81 auto thefts in 2007, I guess you're right. No crime in Iowa City.

//www.city-data.com/city/Iowa-City-Iowa.html

Old 02-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Yep, because that's what I meant. Take it literally, NO crime at all How about this, so I don't get attacked: I experienced no crime in the years I lived there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Except for the 30 rapes, 142 assaults, and 81 auto thefts in 2007, I guess you're right. No crime in Iowa City.

//www.city-data.com/city/Iowa-City-Iowa.html

Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Yep, because that's what I meant. Take it literally, NO crime at all How about this, so I don't get attacked: I experienced no crime in the years I lived there.
Well, you said "there is NO crime there" and you even made it a point to capitalize the word "NO" for emphasis. What were we suppsed to think?

That is nice that you never experienced crime there, but I've been to Compton, CA, and didn't experience crime. If someone were considering moving there, however, I believe it would be more applicable to give them the stats rather than my anecdotal experiences.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 PM

427 posts, read 1,307,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
I find it terribly hard to imagine a small city being considerably more liberal than a city that typically votes straight democrat in the elections and has as many people as we do. Please expound on your claims.

If I remember correctly, Vandy is very liberal and easily one of the best schools in the country.
Southern Democrats are not the same as Midwestern Democrats. Democrats here would be moderate Republicans in the upper Midwest.

I grew up in Minnesota, and worked in Minneapolis, where a statue honoring the first gay councilmember stands in City Hall. He was elected in 1983.

Paul Wellstone and Russ Feingold are Midwestern Democrats. Phil Bredesen and Jim Cooper are Southern Democrats, and they're much closer philosophically to Arne Carlson and Al Quie, both Republicans.

The only Tennessee Democrat who could pass for one in the Midwest is Steve Cohen.

So I'd agree that Iowa City is probably more liberal than Nashville.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 PM

I agree with this. Vandy is a very liberal univ. But Vandy does not = Nashville and vice versa. Whereas in IC, UI does = IC and vice versa. Almost everyone that lives there is affiliated in some way with UI. That's my only point about the difference.

I also want to say - this whole liberal deal isn't what the OP was specifically asking about. I think it's gotten a bit off topic. Whether the OP wants to live in a liberal area or not is up to him/her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
Southern Democrats are not the same as Midwestern Democrats. Democrats here would be moderate Republicans in the upper Midwest.

I grew up in Minnesota, and worked in Minneapolis, where a statue honoring the first gay councilmember stands in City Hall. He was elected in 1983.

Paul Wellstone and Russ Feingold are Midwestern Democrats. Phil Bredesen and Jim Cooper are Southern Democrats, and they're much closer philosophically to Arne Carlson and Al Quie, both Republicans.

The only Tennessee Democrat who could pass for one in the Midwest is Steve Cohen.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 PM

180 posts, read 596,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post

I would have to respectfully disagree with you as well. I don't see Iowa City being more liberal than Nashville. I've been there and have felt that it was just another college town. While I see your point, I do have to wonder what being "gay" and having a statue has to do with proving liberal beliefs is more in one city than another? Heck, we have a statue of naked men and women dancing around with a tambourine in Nashville. That alone doesn't make us San Fransisco. Bottom line is Nashville has changed (thankfully) drastically in the last ten years and things aren't the way they used to be here. Plus, the term "Liberal" is a very subjective term. But I think most would be plesantly surprised with the liberal lifestyle many in Nashville share!

PearlBob, Vandy is the single largest private sector employer in Nashville. Vandy does in fact equal Nashville on many different levels.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:14 PM

I know, and that was my point. Hey, don't get me wrong - I love big cities. I wouldn't want to live permenantly in a town where everyone I know has a Hawkeye jacket on I wouldn't want to live and settle in a smaller town like Iowa City. But for college and grad school, it's great. Different stroke for different folks, and for the OP, it all depends on what he's looking for.

Quote:

PearlBob, Vandy is the single largest private sector employer in Nashville. Vandy does in fact equal Nashville on many different levels.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:17 PM

140 posts, read 618,995 times
Quote:
Our crime rate is not that high at all ...
Huh? Be serious--yes it is. That doesn't make Nashville a bad place, but it's got a relatively high crime rate.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:19 PM

427 posts, read 1,307,859 times
Quote:
I would have to respectfully disagree with you as well. I don't see Iowa City being more liberal than Nashville. I've been there and have felt that it was just another college town. While I see your point, I do have to wonder what being "gay" and having a statue has to do with proving liberal beliefs is more in one city than another? Heck, we have a statue of naked men and women dancing around with a tambourine in Nashville. That alone doesn't make us San Fransisco. Bottom line is Nashville has changed (thankfully) drastically in the last ten years and things aren't the way they used to be here. Plus, the term "Liberal" is a very subjective term. But I think most would be plesantly surprised with the liberal lifestyle many in Nashville share!
Nashville's gotten much better since I moved here ten years ago, and is more liberal than the surrounding counties, and probably the rest of the state.

But compared to other cities, its not yet "liberal."

Here's an example:

Iowa City's Human Rights Code:
"It is unlawful to discriminate in employment, credit, public accommodation and education on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. In addition, discrimination in housing based upon race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, familial status, presence or absence of dependents, disability, gender identity or public source of income is prohibited."

A small city in Iowa has agreed not to discriminate against any of its citizens, and went far beyond federal requirements.

Nashville's not there yet.

Minneapolis elected a gay man twenty five years ago. Then it put up a statue to honor him. I can't imagine that happening in Nashville. It's got nothing to do with nude statues, but with the demonstrated acceptance of difference. Our city won't even agree to a simple non-discrimination statement.

Things here are improving, and maybe in another decade I'll gladly call it "liberal." There are decidedly liberal pockets in Davidson County, and they're expanding. But right now, it's liberal relative to the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville