Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klechner View Post
You guys crack me up..lol.
My family is moving to the area from Madison WI. we are looking forward to the warm weather...LOL.
This is the third year in a row it has gone -20...
I am glad that you find this funny. Actually, I think the poster has a legitimate post. After all, everything is relative. And, by many longtime TN residents, this has been a "worse than usual" winter. I am sure the winter weather picture we painted last year has fallen short based on what has actually occurred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,934 times
Oh...and FWIW...I don't think any of us from the north are actually making fun of native southerners. In my case anyway...it was just conversation. Didn't mean to hit a nerve.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
It would not surprise me. The University of Wisconsin employs thousands of people, in addition to the state government. There are other hospitals as well and a lot of other corporate offices. Not much manufacturing in Madison.

If I were moving back to Wisconsin I would seriously consider Madison. I like that town.
They did mention that the medical field was huge. Has anyone wondered what would happen to all those jobs if all of a sudden the insurance companies couldn't pay and the medical industry had to be supported by patients paying out of pocket?

So much of the job market even here in Nashville depends on medical related jobs. The government would bail them out before it ever happened, as they did with AIG, but it makes you think about how vital the insurance companies are to economic survival. Doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
On topic please..........

Old 03-01-2009, 07:43 AM

195 posts, read 525,419 times
Tennessee weather is perfect! The only concern I have are the gyrating reapers aka tornadoes when they visit.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:05 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotPirate View Post
I can't wait!
You'll enjoy it. Nashville/Middle Tennessee has Florida beat hands down and when the great floods come, Middle Tennessee will likley be beachfront property, so that's a bonus...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:26 PM

48 posts, read 160,538 times
I'm from Orlando and man, these winters kick my butt and I know ours aren't that bad. Part of it is that it's so gray and wet but no snow really so it's just blah with a side of ho hum covered in chili. Not so great for my psyche... Soooo after 15 years of it, here is what I have figured out. Try to do a warm destination during the winter just to break it up. This does indeed help. My other thing I do is go walk through the Opryland Hotel Lobby just to see some green. This can kill an entire afternoon or evening with the family, it's free, and you will get a healthy infusion of plant life while staying blissfully warm.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I agree with you. I'm native here but always try to go somewhere warm over the winter, usually in February or March as the Jan-early April span has that post-Christmas, pre-Spring BLAH feeling.

I'm glad we don'thave the snow, though. I can handle cold so much better without all the white stuff.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:59 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
I moved from Texas to live in a small town one hour north of Nashville. It was an odd place having this wierd, errie feel to it. I lived there 6 mos and would compute to Nashville to work. Now Nashville had a better "feel" to it but I rarely saw people smile which was kinda strange to me. I finally left to take care of my mother in the midwest. But I must admit the land was very pretty but.... something....I don't know.....something was wrong with the place and I couldn't put my finger on it.

The only thing I can tell you is if you are a person who NEEDS sunlight you may want to go back home to FL. You will know because when you get to a point that you feel depressed quite often; it time to go. Follow your GUT feeling.

PS
The midwest is not for me either, eventhough I was reared here. I'm going back to Texas.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:05 PM

38 posts, read 142,029 times
To TNRyan & others who originally responded to my post--
Thanks again for the encouragement; I think winter will get easier (I wasn't in Florida for that long). However, I often talk to my wife about moving to the Gulf Coast after my oldest daughter graduates (my little ones will be in elementary, still). So, I won't close that door yet. But, Miami...that's a tough place to make it for several reasons. Just curious, TNRyan: you mentioned you were from Tampal. What was it like living there?
Fill me in, please.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville