Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 03:06 PM

8 posts, read 42,649 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Denver to Nashville. I am interested in living near the Vanderbilt area. My friends told me that Belluvue is a nice area to live for young, up in coming professionals. Is this true ? Is Belluvue a nice area ?

Denver is known for its great parks, great bike trails, wonderful outdoor activities, and overall wonderful weather. Can someone tell me about Nashville in this respect ? Can I go for walks outdoors ? I love exercising outside.

Thanks. This information will be greatly appreciatated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 03:17 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,136,533 times
I've lived in Bellevue for the past 21 years.

Here's some short answers to some of your questions. Nashville has a number of nice parks and natural areas; including the large Warner Parks near Bellevue (I think it's six time as large as Central Park in NYC), Centennial Park near Vanderbilt, and the Radnor Lake Nature Area near Green Hills, among several others.

As for biking, that question came up in another post a few days ago. Biking along the main arterial streets, and even the main secondary streets isn't great (the road carry a lot of traffic and they're a bit narrow). You can find plenty of places to bike such as the parks and the lesser-traveled residential streets, but, according to where you live, you might find it easier to put your bike on the back of your car and drive to those areas. They have put in some bike lanes in the past few years, but those are still limited. All in all, I don't think Nashville is the most bike-friendly city I know of. There are plenty of places to walk and enjoy nature. There are state parks nearby, and several large lakes.

We have nice springs (March-May) and falls (Sept.-Nov.) here; the weather is usually pleasant and the folliage is beautiful, however it can be rainy during those times (one day sunny, the next rainy). Our winters (Dec.-Feb.) tend to be relatively mild. It varies from year to year. We will have several days where it will dip down into the 20s and teens; some years it will get down to 0 or below for short periods of times. Snow varies; this year will got almost none. Other years we might have three or four snows of 4 to 6 inches each. The bad thing about snow here is the traffic; even a 6 inch snow can cause considerable problems. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. Our summers are hot and humid from around the first of July to the end of August. You've probably heard the expression, "If you don't like the weather, just wait a day" . . . that applies very well to Nashville.

As for Bellevue, yes, it's a nice area. However, if I were you, I wouldn't limit myself in my search to just Bellevue. Instead I would look thoughout what the real estate people call Area 2. This is a somewhat pie-shape area to the west of downtown. It included Vanderbilt, I believe. In that area are several neighborhoods: Belmont, Sylvan Park, Green Hills, Hillwood, Belle Meade (where Al Gore lives), West Meade, Bellevue, Woodmont/Woodlawn. Each of these areas have their pluses and minuses, and quite a range of house prices (although they won't be the cheapest house prices in Nashville). With a little care, you can't go too far wrong in this area. These neighborhoods are relatively affluent, and have the lowest crime rates in Nashville. However, like all cities, there is crime in every area.

That's a short rundown. I'd be glad to answer any other questions you have that I can answer.

Last edited by alleycat; 03-19-2007 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-20-2007, 12:25 AM

Thank you alleycat. . . I really appreciatate your openness and knowledge about the city of Nashville. I will take in consideration some of your suggestions. I have been told that Nashville isn't as "country" as I thought. It sounds like it is moving in a positive direction towards appealing to all people from different backgrounds and interests. In addition, it helps that the cost of living is much cheaper than other metropolitian cities. Thanks again.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:45 AM

Nashville was probably never "as country" as people from other areas considered it was. Nashville first nicknames was "the Athens of the South" and "the Hartford of the south" because of the number of colleges here and the financial/insurance companies headquartered here. Much of the "hillbilly music" thing was a promotional gimmick created by a guy at WSM, the radio station that broadcast the Grand Ole Opry. Our lives here in Nashville do not revolve around the music business, although we appreciate the contributions that it's made to the city. As you're probably aware, Nashville has long been a medical center for the region.

Like any place, there's some great things about Nashville, and some things that could be better. You might very well be surprised if you've never been to Nashville. Personally, I don't find Nashville to be anything like it's portrayed on TV or in the movies.

By the way, you said you wanted to be near Vanderbilt so I didn't initially think of it, but you might also keep Brentwood and Franklin in mind. The commute would be a little longer but it could be that those communities would appeal to you.

Last edited by alleycat; 03-20-2007 at 05:00 AM..

Old 03-21-2007, 10:56 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,769,028 times
Like any place, there's some great things about Nashville, and some things that could be better. You might very well be surprised if you've never been to Nashville. Personally, I don't find Nashville to be anything like it's portrayed on TV or in the movies.

well said. I came back to Nashville for a visit after 12 years away from it when it was a bit more rough around the edges. To me, Nashville now has the look of say- Boston or even San Francisco believe it or not. It is very clean, well- manicured, and pleasant. Perhaps it just seemed that way because I expected it to be the opposite. It is a city full of surprises.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:38 PM

64 posts, read 319,882 times
drblessing, I use to live in Denver. Miss it, but I'm glad to be located in a state that's closer to the rest of the country. Alleycat laid it out pretty good. Being from Denver, you're probably use to the high price of housing. It's creeping here, but you'll be delighted at the 'bargains' you'll find compared to Denver. Downtown Nashville isn't quite as happening as Denver's downtown, but it pleases a lot of people. The popular areas are getting more congested (try driving through area 2 even after rush hour), and very pricey. But there's lots more going on in that area and a lot of interesting people from all over.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Too Much Formality

Dear alleycat and houselady,

I am a physician, and I am moving to Nashville for residency. Here is my question, on my interviews I noticed that everyone referred to each other as Mrs.. this, Mr. . this, and so forth. This was quite irritadating!! Here in Denver I refer to my fellow workers (nurses, PAs, etc.) by their first names, not Mrs. . this, or Mr. . that.

Is this type of formality used all over the city. . . ?

Thanks !!!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblessing View Post
Dear alleycat and houselady,

I am a physician, and I am moving to Nashville for residency. Here is my question, on my interviews I noticed that everyone referred to each other as Mrs.. this, Mr. . this, and so forth. This was quite irritadating!! Here in Denver I refer to my fellow workers (nurses, PAs, etc.) by their first names, not Mrs. . this, or Mr. . that.

Is this type of formality used all over the city. . . ?

Thanks !!!
No, first names are typically used with the people you work with. Older people, or a person that someone only knows casually, will often still be referred to as Mr., Mrs., or Ms., just out of respect.

I would guess that in your interviews, they were trying to keep things a bit formal.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:35 PM

By the way, I probably should have mentioned that the Vandy campus is a pretty nice place to walk (assuming you like magnolias . . . the wife of one of the chancellors went a bit overboard with planting magnolias a few years ago). I used to work in one of the office towers nearby and my friends and I would often walk at lunchtime and part of our route would include the Vandy campus.

Also, Centennial Park is right up the street. You can walk all around there (assuming you make it across West End Ave. with your life). The college kids go and "lay out" there but you can also find a secluded spot or two when you need to get away from things for a little while. You can also see the world's largest indoor scupture there (I think that's what they say it is anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville