Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:15 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,872 times

Advertisements

Because God forbid Ross they get too close to you with the box of chiclets they are selling. It's common all over Mexico to sell small items at red lights or approach you to see if you have a job they can do...*shaking head*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM

957 posts, read 3,698,765 times
I take it you've never been car jacked. When you do, you won't see it coming. They don't walk around carrying signs. They approach in an innocent manner to catch you off guard.....*also shaking head*

Old 03-01-2009, 11:25 AM

11 posts, read 32,252 times
Default E. Paragon Mills?

I've found a home I'm interested in E. Paragon Mills--is this a bad area?

It's a home between Nolensville Rd and Harding Pl.

Any feedback on this area please?

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:38 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria-P View Post
How about Marlin Meadows subdivision in Madison - especially Berwick Trail? My husband and I are looking in the Nashville area. This is an older subdivision but most of it looks very good - no iron bars on the windows, etc.
Marlin Meadows is a good area.

Metro Planning just finished up their long-term plan for the area, and this is a summary of what Madison residents feel about the area:
http://www.nashville.gov/mpc/pdfs/subarea4/4_Summary_Table_Visioning_Notes_Tables_FINAL.pdf (broken link)

Marlin Meadows is on the "preserve" list, which means those who live in the area see it as a good place to live.

(I attended several of these planning meetings, and the info presented in the pdf is on the mark in representing what local residents said.)

Old 03-01-2009, 12:46 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
I take it you've never been car jacked. When you do, you won't see it coming. They don't walk around carrying signs. They approach in an innocent manner to catch you off guard.....*also shaking head*
Anyone can carjack anyone at anytime in any place reguardless or neighborhood, race, religion, ect, ect...

I really highly doubt you drive around Nashville with a .45 in your hand for stop lights and if by some chance you do, You're more dangerous than most of the people walking the streets in any part of the city.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 AM

87 posts, read 292,048 times
one of my favorite bumper stickers is "over the river and thru the hood"

I grew up in southwest Nashville and my parents always told me never to cross the river. There are areas on our side of the river that aren't safe also, don't get me wrong, but there are MORE on the other side. Anywhere near the projects tends to be bad. there is a crime map at the tennessean.com that will SHOW you where the different kinds of crime have occured. It's much easier to SEE it on a map than have someone try to explain it to you. It's free.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,872 times
Haha 2Martins, yes, I'm very familiar with the 37206: Over The River & Through The Hood bumper stickers along with a plethora of others that we created to poke fun at our image. As an outsider it seems as you may be missing the joke. We go over the river & through the hood to get to our little piece of paradise.

Your post makes it seem as if it's ALL bad & there is no reason to cross the river...

Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 AM

116 posts, read 439,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
Your post makes it seem as if it's ALL bad & there is no reason to cross the river...
I can remember a time in the not so distant past when that statement was not stretching the truth much. I'm glad to see that it is no longer the case.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 AM

334 posts, read 1,281,987 times
Let's clarify that North Nashville and north OF Nashville are two totally different things.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
one of my favorite bumper stickers is "over the river and thru the hood"

I grew up in southwest Nashville and my parents always told me never to cross the river. There are areas on our side of the river that aren't safe also, don't get me wrong, but there are MORE on the other side. Anywhere near the projects tends to be bad. there is a crime map at the tennessean.com that will SHOW you where the different kinds of crime have occured. It's much easier to SEE it on a map than have someone try to explain it to you. It's free.
Ha, yeah I think that one was specifically made for Nashvillians who have grown up here there whole lives and never crossed the river except for the random softball game in Shelby Park. My wife grew up in Bellevue and other parts of west Nashville and she said they never crossed the river and her grandparents grew up in East Nashville. Really sad. She loves it now and wouldn’t live anywhere else in Nashville. Cayce homes serves a needed function and helps a lot of needy families, but it does put up a wall to the rest of Nashville. I love the fact that the recent resurrection has been brought about by individuals and communities (with very little help from the local government, East Precinct being the exception) that recognize the value of the neighborhoods here. This is where the wealthy and elite used to live in Nashville, and it becomes so much clearer why if you live over here. The flight to the suburbs really hurt this area in particular, and finally were seeing a lot of investment back into the area. BTW, my favorite bumper sticker is, "37206, Way Better than Smyrna" (no offense to any Smyrnians).

Last edited by yank283; 03-10-2009 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville