Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 04:19 PM

135 posts, read 412,632 times

Advertisements

hello all,
i've been reading the nashville forums for a long time and everyone seems nice and helpful enough so i thought i'd throw my questions out to ya'll.

my husband and i left new orleans a few years ago and reluctantly settled in reno,nv. (because of work). we feel out of place and would very much like to head back to the south to raise our daughter. we considered other places but nashville seems like the best fit.

our concerns: work opportunity. my husband heads the access control division for a fence/gate co. he grosses abt $48k.
he'd need a job in the same field, making abt $38-40k (adjusted for lower cost of living). does this seems doable for the area? do skilled trade workers there generally get benefits?

i have been unable to locate a decent amount of fence companies that do automated gates/access control for job info. before i do contact the few i found i'd like to know if anyone might have some insight as to the going wages for construction/skilled trade/labor etc. (for a seasoned professional)
and if anyone has a few minutes and would be willing to locate some companies out of your yellow pages...or ask someone that may know...
i'd be sooooooooo grateful!!! we'd be interested in neighboring cities as well.
this is the deal breaker for us as my husband loves what he does and has no desire to switch fields.
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 04:24 PM

48 posts, read 160,538 times
Hi

You might try the Nashville Chamber Jobs Nashville Employment

here is a yellow pages list of fence comapnies. Nashville Fence Dealers in Nashville TN Yellow Pages by SuperPages

You also could look at Murfreesboro, Hendersonville, and Franklin as nearby cities.

Best of luck!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 AM

thank you!
my husband and i spent several hours searching online today and have found a few leads. our only concern is the wages. we still have no clue as to the pay for his field and don't want to waste our/their time.

i'm crossing my fingers...we're hoping to leave in a month!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:17 AM

957 posts, read 3,699,977 times
I'd suggest opening up to the possibility of working for someone other than a fence company. That's a pretty targeted and specific requirement. Relatively speaking, there won't be that many jobs that meet that criteria and there will be a lot of people competing for them.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 AM

251 posts, read 1,034,600 times
mountaingirl75,

Most likely you will have to take a pay cut to move to Nashville--
Good luck on everything...

I haven't been to Reno in a long time...I live in the Bay Area....I always viewed Reno as
a place to visit..I don't know how it is living there though....

Hope you make it back to the South

Old 02-27-2009, 04:12 PM

thanks for all the imput!
the links were very helpful.
it's not that we're not open to other fields but my husband got into fencing at 17 yrs.old and has been in the same industry for almost 20 years! we're figuring he'll make $10k less a year in nashville but the cost of living is a lot lower than here. we'd just be grateful for a good job.
when we decided on moving to the area and began our planning..not but a week later, my husband's company announced they were closing their doors.
we're trying to turn lemons into lemonade...as they say.
so, we're searching and hoping everything works out. meanwhile, we leave behind a large beautiful home, will sell our truck and most of our belongings and head back the the south to our new downsized life.
my husband is terrified our family will go hungry,(we have a 5 yr. old daughter) but i'm not as worried. if we have to eat top ramen and live in an apartment ...well, at least we'll be humble,lol.

some people are much worse off.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 PM

195 posts, read 525,419 times
Don't forget that while you may downsize initially here, once you've settled, you can work your way up again. That's how I viewed my transfer here. I'm a single father (kid is turning 5) and I would say it is tough but I know down the line this is all for the better. Best of luck!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:06 AM

282 posts, read 806,987 times
Considering the times we're in, it may be worth considering transferring industries or expanding into a broader field. Getting a degree, technical degree, training, etc... can certainly help broaden your families horizons.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:36 AM

nastor and capo....thanks, both good points. we have some business ideas as well but have been pleasantly surprised at the number of companies in the area we've located. we plan on sending a resume to every one of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville