Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 PM

12 posts, read 58,093 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, my best friend and I are moving, we have lived in St. Paul MN our entire lives and want to move somewhere warmer where its lower cost of living and relatively the same size as the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. We are both 20 years old, looking to further our education, move into an apartment and find new jobs if our current jobs do not allow us to transfer.

So far, we have narrowed it down to two cities, Nashville and Charlotte (NC) both offer everything we could ask for and need, we just cant decide! Has anyone been to both of these places and can provide some insight? Originally I had wanted to move to Atlanta but the hot humidity and crime statistics scared me away a bit, so perhaps something not as big and down south.

How is the job market in Nashville? I don't know much about it except you guys have great weather =) How is the nightlife? Can two young singles such as ourselves find plenty of entertainment? What is public transportation like? Is there a subway system or amtrak?

Any and all information is greatful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 01:41 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,444 times
Here is a thread you might find helpful: Nashville vs. Charlotte

I haven't read the other thread but may be able to help with some of the questions you listed. There is PLENTY of entertainment for young singles.

As far as public transportation there isn't a subway or amtrak but if you live in an urban neighborhood near Downtown it is possible to not need a car. My brother lives in The Village & hasn't had a car in years. I on the other hand wanted to keep my car but also utilize the public transportation we do have: http://www.nashvillemta.org/

Last edited by bluesky42day; 02-25-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,358 times
Nashville is much better than Charlotte for young, single females, especially hot ones. Charlotte is getting HAMMERED by the financial and credit crises due to it being a major banking hub, while Nashville's economy is much more diversified and still quite strong. There are also a slew of colleges and universities here, so you'll have plenty of options when it comes to furthering your education. I think that settles it. Welcome to Nashville!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 PM

50 posts, read 199,025 times
LOL @ Nashville is much better than Charlotte for young, single females, especially hot ones...Gee Pimpy is this how you got your name?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:49 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotPirate View Post
LOL @ Nashville is much better than Charlotte for young, single females, especially hot ones...Gee Pimpy is this how you got your name?
It's true. I mean you chose Nashville over Charlotte, didn't you? I don't know many young, attractive women who aren't happy living here.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:22 PM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
Weird, I don't think the OP ever mentioned being male or female...!? LOL! @ Pimpy!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:59 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Weird, I don't think the OP ever mentioned being male or female...!? LOL! @ Pimpy!
But her profile says she's female.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 AM

50 posts, read 199,025 times
Charlotte was never a thought for me, at this point I am ready to join the circus as long as it gets me out of this state!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 AM

215 posts, read 712,698 times
Both cities have many great features. We go to visit friends who live in Charlotte about twice a year, and we really enjoy it there every time.
Both cities have quality college education available and great nightlife for young singles.
If light rail or Amtrak is important to you, then you will want to go with Charlotte. They have both. Nashville has a commuter rail that goes from only downtown to the East Suburbs. Charlotte's light rail system is not too extensive either, but it definitely is better than the one here in Nashville.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 PM

150 posts, read 441,389 times
My 2cents for what it's worth.

I moved to Nashville last June and I love it. I lived in Raleigh, NC for three years prior to moving here but Columbia SC is my hometown and is an hour to hour and a half from Charlotte. An easy commute so I spent many days in Charlotte and almost always flew out of their airport. First of all, Pimpy is right. The banking industry in Charlotte has taken a huge hit and there is definitely a trickle down effect. I have friends and business contacts in the area and they are all suffering somewhat. The main arteries thru Charlotte are I77 which is a nightmare during rush hour (they do have a bypass but it's not much better during rush hour) and I85 - try to navigate that from Thursday - Sunday when there is a NASCAR race in town! I have a niece that went to UNC Charlotte for one year (she was from Greensboro) and hated it so much my BIL shelled out the big bucks for her to transfer to an out of state school.

On the plus side Charlotte has: great shopping, great food, pro sports teams, an attractive city, a great airport, Lake Norman and some other really nice burbs (which I am sure doesn't interest you at this point!). The big deals there are banking, the pro teams and NASCAR.

IMHO Nashville is more laid back, more diverse, more interesting, a more well rounded city, a little "artsy" which I like. And, the summers are less hot and humid than Charlotte. Also, I don't think the economy has suffered here as much as the major cities in NC and SC.

If the economy was much better, I had a BA or Masters in anything business related and was looking to start my career I would choose Charlotte. But, if I were 20, in college and looking for what you guys are looking for Nashville wins hands down!

Good luck with which ever you choose.

O

I think that you will find that the heat/humidity in Charlotte is nearly identical to Atlanta. However, the winters can be much more severe in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville