U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 07:08 AM

2,806 posts, read 9,484,910 times

Advertisements

I'm from Connecticut and have never visited TN itself and would like to know everything about Franklin, life, schools, things to do, climate and how far from nashville. What are the must see's? If their are any good hotels in the area within walkable distance to the historic area? Any wildlife that would be different from CT that's in the area. What religion's are big their?
I'm looking at planning a trip soon to see it for myself and then maybe...relocating at some point in life.. Any info would be helpful, but from what i've heard so far it sounds pretty perfect for me.
I am conservative and religious and would like to be among more people with those things in common. Conservatives are few and far between in CT.

Last edited by KH02; 03-01-2009 at 07:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,057,249 times
the search function on this website itself is useful...click advanced though and specify Franklin, TN or you'll get every Franklin in the country. gbone is right, it would take forever to spill it all...but THERE are lots of threads about Franklin.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:01 AM

451 posts, read 1,249,665 times
Franklin has a charming, historical downtown area.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 AM

1,177 posts, read 3,839,574 times
KHO2, it would take volumes to tell you "everything about Franklin" and I'm not sure anyone on here has the time to do that. There are numerous threads on here that discuss Franklin. The simplest thing to do is just review those threads or just Google whatever you want to know about Franklin and just do some basic research this way. Most everything you want to know is just a mouse click away.
In general, you will find most anything you might be looking for in Franklin, or nearby. There are plenty of churches of various faiths. Although Franklin leans towards politically conservative, there are also many politically liberal people in the area. There has been a large influx of people moving to Franklin from out of state so from that perspective it is fairly diverse. The Williamson County school system is ranked number one in the TN based on State ratings. You will have a good choice between rural and suburban living. We have four distinct seasons in Middle Tennessee and we generally don't have long and harsh winters. The heat and humidity for a couple of months in the summer is a problem for some but not most. One of the few downsides of the area is the cost of housing. Williamson County is the most expensive county in TN with regards to housing.
Nothing that you see in writing will suffice for actually visiting the area. I'd be surprised if you didn't fall in love with the area once you visit. Enjoy!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:14 AM

2,806 posts, read 9,484,910 times
Thanks, cant wait to visit.Any hotel reccomendations that are walking distance to this historic center? Or are they all to far from that.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 PM

250 posts, read 944,293 times
Default Hotels in Franklin

I live in Frankln and absolutely LOVE IT!!!!! It's beautiful and quaint, and the people are awesome. There's nothing not to love...

As for hotels, most are located in the Cool Springs area, which is about 10 minutes from downtown Franklin (the historic square). There are a few on Hwy 96, but the majority are North on I-65 a couple exits up. If you google hotels in Franklin, TN you'll find a long list.

Enjoy your stay...be sure to stop by Dotsons for some down home, country cookin'!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 AM

3,912 posts, read 9,814,683 times
You can take the trolley from your hotel to the town square

Old 03-02-2009, 12:51 PM

317 posts, read 1,133,766 times
Yes, I'd recommend staying in Cool Springs. You have lots of options there: Marriott and Hilton brands, etc. Cool Springs is only about 3 miles from Downtown Franklin. That is one interesting aspect of Franklin...you have both the old historic and local charm in the Downtown Franklin area. Then you also have every other restaurant chain, big box store, retail stores and services you'd need in the Cool Springs area with a mall. And everything is new. That might be something that does not appeal to you though...Franklin is a southern suburb town. I know in the Northeast, most towns have a cool center and neighborhood feel...and while Franklin does have that historic center, the city is also quite spread out and full of new sprawl as well. We drive everywhere here. There's not a whole lot of walking...at least in the suburbs. Cool Springs is also home to the business sector of Franklin as well...Nissan North America, CHS and Healthways are a few of the companies HQ there.

There is a small selection of historic homes in Franklin right around the Downtown area. Otherwise, you'll either be looking at homes built within the last 15 years or so in subdivisions with community amenities like a pool, playground, etc. Many of the lots will be small and very few have walkability to anything. Westhaven is an exception. McKay's Mill is one that has a few things (grocery, drug store, restaurant or two, a service or two inside the subdivision). On the other hand, you can be away from it all in Franklin with acres of beautiful property and privacy in the country.

The area itself is quite beautiful in Spring, Summer and Fall. You have rolling hills and lots of green. The sun shines a lot...it's not as present in the winter, but our winters are short and mild here. As far as wildlife goes, you can certainly see deer on a regular basis, but that will depend on if you frequent parks or if your subdivision or home backs up to some woods. I don't know what wildlife you have there, but we don't have anything too exciting. You have to go further East to see bears, for instance.
You might go into shock at the churches here. It's the buckle of the Bible belt. They're plentiful and if you're used to Northeast churches...you'll think they are HUGE. And they are. Most of them are conservative on beliefs, I guess that's what you're asking but there is some variety. You'll find many with contemporary services though...full almost rock band set up...informal dress, more application messages than intellectual, etc. That's the other thing...Franklin is a music town so the worship leader at any given church might be a nationally known Christian music artist. And the band members probably play with country, rock or christian artists. But that depends on denominations though...there are definitely traditional churches out there too. Oh, and people don't just necessarily attend the one they live close to...there are so many that it's like you "shop" for a church that fits your preferences...some people drive quite a distance to attend theirs.

As far as lifestyle, I'd say that many people say that's the reason they are here. Nashville, itself, is a mid-sized city...not large but not the smallest either. It has lots of attractions...music (and not just country) among other things. Most of the suburbs are within a decent drive of the city. Franklin is about 20-30 minutes away depending on where you are in Franklin. People like the schools in Williamson County. People are generally friendly. If you're open to a complete change of city type...you'll most likely love Franklin.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 AM

451 posts, read 1,249,665 times
There might be some Bed & Breakfasts within walking distance of the downtown area. Check online.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:28 PM

3,535 posts, read 5,075,129 times
KH02, I've targeted the Franklin/Brentwood area for relocation as well, most likely this fall after I spend one more summer up here in northern Michigan. I lived in Georgia (Atlanta area) for 20 years, so this won't be my first southern living experience by any stretch, but I am very excited about the potential move just the same. I left Atlanta because it had become a monster of sprawl and traffic 2 years ago, and although I fear that people like myself moving there are probably setting up Nashville for the same fate eventually, I just can't resist the draw of such a geographically attractive, up and coming, not too big/not too small city.

Anyway, I just finished booking my first official scout trip to the area, which happens at the end of the month. Gonna spend 3 days checking out the airport, downtown (going to a Preds game), Franklin/Brentwood area, and maybe a couple others if I have time. I'm a CT tech, and am confident I can find the job I want, even in this economy, with Nashville being such an elite medical region. I probably won't start sending out resumes until summer, as I really don't want to move before Labor Day. We have 3 spectacular seasons up here where I am now, but I am still single at 40, and unless I meet the woman of my dreams in the next few months I CANNOT go through another winter up here by myself.......this has only been my 2nd one and I'm about to lose my freggin' mind! I'm also a conservative like you, KH02, and would welcome being back in an area with a much higher percentage of people who share my values and beliefs.

Anyway, if you don't make it to the area before I do, I'll be glad to report on my findings upon my return. Best of luck to both of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville