Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:11 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,822,390 times

Advertisements

In my opinion everyone's assessments have been spot on so far. I am dying over Dave's suggestion to watch out for the cocked eyebrow! So very true LOL :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 05:10 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,210,408 times
I think the reason why it's so different in LA is because everyone is in a hurry and we are stuck in traffic for 1-2 hours a day. We don't let someone else go in front of us in line because we are in a hurry. People don't stop and chat because once again, we are in a hurry. It's really sad. I don't want to live in this anymore. I want my future children to have manners and grow up in a nice, safe, environment.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:12 PM

634 posts, read 1,414,312 times
You'll find lots of Southern Hospitality in my neck of the woods. Folks are nice, and come together when someone faces hard times. Only time I seen a well known laid back man get rattled was after a school ballgame. A black guy asked his daughter out and after she declined the offer the boy wanted to know just why she would only date whites being she was raised in church and color shouldn't matter. Thats when the father stepped up and had a real hard time being nice in order to get the point across to him that it wasn't going to happen, period. The father was also fast to tell him they didn't teach race mixing in the church his family was raised going to.Lots of folks will 'live and let live', until someone tries to bring something into their family that goes against their belief. Folks like this are not racist, they simply don't believe in breeding themselves into extinction. Mix only once and from then on your future family is no longer the race it was before, so can't blame folks for preserving the family name as the race they are and have been, and teaching the same to their kids and so on.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:40 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,822,390 times
Racism can be & most of the time is subtle. I personally do find those that think, and I quote, "race mixing" is wrong are racist. They don't think they are & will truly believe they aren't, but at the end of the day they are...sad but true & has zero to do with the OP's question.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,668,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I think the reason why it's so different in LA is because everyone is in a hurry and we are stuck in traffic for 1-2 hours a day. We don't let someone else go in front of us in line because we are in a hurry. People don't stop and chat because once again, we are in a hurry. It's really sad. I don't want to live in this anymore. I want my future children to have manners and grow up in a nice, safe, environment.
That sounds like most people here, from my experience. Sure, it's probably even worse in LA, but you'll find most people here are in a plenty big hurry as well. I've lived here all my life, and to be perfectly honest, when I run into a friendly person here they are usually not Southern. Apparently I just attract the worst in people, because everyone else is saying the opposite. But I always say "hello" to people, hold doors open for them, and generally just try to treat strangers kindly, and very rarely do I get anything but an angry scowl. I bike on the Stones River Greenway almost every day, and I used to wave or say hi to everyone I came across. But I gave that up after almost never getting a response other than a look of anger and/or bewilderment. However, you will definitely fit in if you're a conservative Christian. Good luck to you.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,668,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Folks like this are not racist...
I respectfully disagree. I feel this is the epitome of racism.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 PM

951 posts, read 3,697,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I live in LA with my husband and we are planning on visiting Nashville soon. We cannot stand the rude people, road rage, liberal views, etc... We are Christians who want to be around like minded people. People always say the south is so friendly because of the southern hospitality. What does that mean? Examples? I've never been to the South.

LA or L.A.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,546 times
or Lower Alabama?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 AM

43 posts, read 304,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I respectfully disagree. I feel this is the epitome of racism.
As do I. And it's not just found in the south.

Let's get back to southern hospitality, as racism is NOT part of that!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:26 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,595,829 times
Here you go- I have pneumonia. Last night a friend brought dinner over, another is taking my son to a game tonight, and the "church ladies" are bringing us dinner tonight. Several others have offered to run errands, etc. I can't say enough about how much we love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville