Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cec3x View Post
Here is my thought. My husband and I live in the Nolensville area. Now, some people would push up their nose at that area, but don't discount it! There are a lot of immigrant families, which is why some people don't think well of it. But it is so safe! And there are tons of families.

Here is an example of how safe. When my husband and I went on our honeymoon we had no way of stopping all of the packages being delivered to our front porch. We worried that after being gone for 15 days, we would come back and some would be stolen. Instead, our neighbor, without us asking, collected them for us and kept them safe. That is the kind of neighborhood.

You can definitely get something in your price range. Also, I am familiar with some of the teachers and principals in the school district and they are innovative and dedicated. My neighbors on both sides are always in their back yards throwing a ball to their kids, etc.

As far as coffee shops and food, the closest fun coffee shop to the Nolensville area is called Sam and Zoes. There is also a Starbucks nearby. Plus because of all of the internationals within 5 minutes of my house we have an Ethiopian restaurant, numerous Persian restaurants, Mexican restaurants (the real stuff), Vietnamese, on and on.

The homes are older, but often very well maintained with lots of character. You would be able to have a yard, which is great with kids.

Ok, I am writing you a novel, and that is probably more than you asked for. Let me know if you have any other questions about the area. Good luck!
Where is Sam and Zoes in Nolensville? Also the only restaurants I know there are Martins(Barbeque), Sonic, a mexican restaurant, Moe's burgers, a chinese take out. I think that's it. I live in Nashville, but in the area that isn't far from Nolensville, so I'm there quite often.

Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 AM

6 posts, read 28,236 times
Thank you!! This has been so helpful!

We are going to see what we can do. I am contemplating going to Vanderbilt Univ. to get my PhD in Philosophy.... things will pan out I am sure.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:32 PM

39 posts, read 102,819 times
bellevue, hermitage, or madison if you want to live pretty close to downtown. As for suburbs, murfreesboro and smyrna are both great. Lebanon and Goodlettsville would probably have something in your price range as well. I live in Murfreesboro and love it. ~ 100,000 people, lots of restaurants, a cute square, close enough to downtown to enjoy that atmosphere, but far enough away to still have quiet.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:45 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wml2h View Post
bellevue, hermitage, or madison if you want to live pretty close to downtown. As for suburbs, murfreesboro and smyrna are both great. Lebanon and Goodlettsville would probably have something in your price range as well. I live in Murfreesboro and love it. ~ 100,000 people, lots of restaurants, a cute square, close enough to downtown to enjoy that atmosphere, but far enough away to still have quiet.
I agree with Murfreesboro, plus there is a large university there. Middle Tennessee State University to persue furthur edcation .
My daughter is a student there, and my son lives and works in Murfreesboro.

Diane G

Old 08-05-2010, 03:37 AM

3 posts, read 8,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycello View Post
My husband and I LOVE Nashville, TN we are doing our research and planning on moving down in 2011.

I was wondering...

We live on the east side of Indianapolis which is known for an area with high crime.

I was wondering, other than the Belle Meade area and such, what is a "safer" part of town to settle down in. We don't have a lot of money to spend on a home, but also don't want to get stuck in the ghetto again.

Also, what are some local coffee shops in Nashville that don't have a half naked mermaid on the cup????

Hannah
Ok first and formost Ive went to kindergarden and high scool, and college in Nashville,Tenn,let me start by saying there are no job's,unless you have million's you wont be living in bell meade, my uncle is a decendent of John Overton wich make's them one of the richest black famillies in brentwood beside's the Maxwell's and Boyd's not bragging I dont have his money but my mother and children and grand children live there..., now with that beiing said,everyone want's out the cost of living is to high ,there are no job's,and crime is just as bad as indy,Healthcare is so much better here in Indy,weve lived here going on four year's,I talk to my family in Nash everyday.,housing is also ran down to many poeple in Nashville we call it cashville or Nastyville Usa nowaday's it's call lil Chicago, but on the good side Nashville is alway's going to be home to me it is a city where I grew up,it is also a Bible belt state,the chiefe of police went back to New Orleons ,so now Nash has a terrible chiefe of police now the cop's are terrible no help,we came here and I never realized how poor we were living and it was 105 degrees today in Nash.,I like the weather better there,somtime's,I think everybody want's to get away from the crime and the ghetto folk's, and have just a small lil piece of peace and quiet,please excuse my error's in my spelling,home is where you make it and I am not beiing negative but am telling you the truth,I pray you and your family will find a spot I know how it is,p.s stay away from Antioch and the North side of Nash,over by Jefferson St.and Bordouex some part's of Madison are ok,levergne Tenn. used to be nice in the lakewood sub.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:51 AM

Yes you are correct I lived in Smyra and Murfreesboro,I taught scool there I liked it very much everybody know's everybody,my ex hubby work's at Nissan,there's no public transportation there wich is alright if your driving a car is a must.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:54 AM

Mtsu is where Igraduated from top notch school

Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 AM

597 posts, read 2,108,655 times
Something is striking fear within me, and undoubtedly, a few fine folks in Smyrna.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,250 times
Have you tried searching on RealTracs.com or Trulia.com?

Trulia might be best since you can select a "Single Family Home" since that is what your husband needs for his work.

Just putting in $100,000 as a max for Single Family Home in Nashville, I found 650 homes on Trulia.

As you might suspect, none of them are in Belle Meade ;-)

And I'm sure some of them need some work. Are you and your husband able to do basic home improvement type stuff? That might increase the available pool of houses...

In Nashville, I would probably steer clear of North Nashville or West Nashville (anything west of Charlotte Ave). That's a broad brush and I'm sure there are some lovely streets, but if you read the papers or watch the news, a lot of the shootings and stabbings seem to happen in those areas. There is also violent crime in some areas of East Nashville and the parts that are not violent have gotten quite expensive (from what I understand) due to gentrification/hipsters.

So...you might try something out in the Northwest toward Whites Creek. Or maybe around the Glencliff / Berry Hill area? (Berry Hill itself is expensive, I think. But it's a tiny area and you might be able to find something for 100K outside of Berry Hill.)

Is it just you and your husband? Or do you have any children? You didn't mention children, so I'm presuming a 2/3 bedroom, 1 bath house would be ok... (Those are the sort of houses that pop up in Nashville for less than 100K.)

If you went out to Whites Creek itself you could apparently get this house on 24 acres for less than 100K!! 4461 Stenberg Road, Whites Creek TN - Trulia

I don't know much about Murfreesboro, but I do know some very nice people who live there and you could definitely get a nicer house for your money down there. I don't know the neighborhoods in the 'boro, but I found this house online for less than 100K. Looks nice. 1854 Black Fox Crossing, Murfreesboro TN - Trulia

You'd still be within a 30-40 minute drive of Nashville for trips to the Big City

Other nearby suburban areas / smaller cities to consider include:

Hendersonville - http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Nashv...-100000_price/

Madison - Nashville Single-Family Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Goodlettsville - Nashville Single-Family Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

La Vergne - Nashville Single-Family Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Mount Juliet - Nashville Single-Family Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

or Lebanon - Nashville Single-Family Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

(In these suburbs, I think you're likely to get more land - which could come in handy in terms of good relations with the neighbors if your husband is doing lots of smithy work in the garage.)

Good luck in making your decision and finding a safer, better place for your family! I wish you the best of luck in making your move.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THSISME View Post
Ok first and formost Ive went to kindergarden and high scool, and college in Nashville,Tenn,let me start by saying there are no job's,unless you have million's you wont be living in bell meade, my uncle is a decendent of John Overton wich make's them one of the richest black famillies in brentwood beside's the Maxwell's and Boyd's not bragging I dont have his money but my mother and children and grand children live there..., now with that beiing said,everyone want's out the cost of living is to high ,there are no job's,and crime is just as bad as indy,Healthcare is so much better here in Indy,weve lived here going on four year's,I talk to my family in Nash everyday.,housing is also ran down to many poeple in Nashville we call it cashville or Nastyville Usa nowaday's it's call lil Chicago, but on the good side Nashville is alway's going to be home to me it is a city where I grew up,it is also a Bible belt state,the chiefe of police went back to New Orleons ,so now Nash has a terrible chiefe of police now the cop's are terrible no help,we came here and I never realized how poor we were living and it was 105 degrees today in Nash.,I like the weather better there,somtime's,I think everybody want's to get away from the crime and the ghetto folk's, and have just a small lil piece of peace and quiet,please excuse my error's in my spelling,home is where you make it and I am not beiing negative but am telling you the truth,I pray you and your family will find a spot I know how it is,p.s stay away from Antioch and the North side of Nash,over by Jefferson St.and Bordouex some part's of Madison are ok,levergne Tenn. used to be nice in the lakewood sub.

It is true that Nashville is probably the most expensive city in TN.

If you are open to considering other parts of the state, you might find more for your money in Knoxville or Chattanooga.

On a statistical basis (check IDCide.com) crime rates are also lower in those cities, which could be an important issue if you want to live in the city itself in an inexpensive neighborhood and feel safe.

And I think they're a little bit (thermally) cooler than we are too!

Knoxville Single-Family Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Chattanooga Single-Family Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

UPDATE - Hm. I just realized that the OP posted back in March 2009 and that this thread only got bumped because of THISISME's comments. I wonder if the OP has moved here already or decided to go somewhere else. OP - if you're out there, please let us know what you decided to do.

Last edited by aaronmidnight; 08-05-2010 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville