Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 AM

764 posts, read 2,549,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
I can't say I agree with this. A lower-middle class neigbhorhood? A 75k per year income puts one solidly about the 70th percentile of family incomes in this country. (60th%ile = $57k, 80th%ile = 90k)

You can get by just fine on that kind of income and live pretty well-off compared to most.
I have to agree. I've been perplexed at the comments suggesting that a family of 4 living off 75K is destitute. I became a stay at home Mom 10 years ago when my DH made around 75K. We had an infant daughter, a $250K home and 2 new cars - an Acura TL and Toyota Camry. What we DIDN'T have was a wallet full of maxed out credit cards, a 100% mortgage with PMI, a house full of crap we didn't really need and 2 vacations a year to Europe. Oh, we still managed to invest in our 401k and a 529 plan for the kid, too.

Most of our friends are on the same socioeconomic level and we all enjoy a comfortable lifestyle. It's not extravagant and we don't take weekly trips to the spa or have maid service, but we're all able to take annual vacations and the big boys (our husbands) are able to afford their assorted toys and extracurricular activities (ATV's, golfing, etc.)

IMO, 75k for a young, single guy is an outstanding salary in Nashville. If you are smart, invest wisely and don't spend every penny you make, you'll be sitting pretty financially in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 02:49 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
average median income is less than $40,000.00 yearly. that is generally for men. women lower. it would probably be useful if you checked w/ wiki davidison county. much of the information is inaccurate/outdated, but it can give you a sense of the area. for nashville it is fairly rural and down-home. you should be able to live pretty well on $75000.00 yearly. solid modest income for one. in most other middle tn counties, w/ the exception of williamson and rutherford (williamson / cap. is higher than others) you may drop 40 fig. by approximately $1700-$2200 /mo.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:57 AM

137 posts, read 630,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
I have to agree. I've been perplexed at the comments suggesting that a family of 4 living off 75K is destitute. I became a stay at home Mom 10 years ago when my DH made around 75K. We had an infant daughter, a $250K home and 2 new cars - an Acura TL and Toyota Camry. What we DIDN'T have was a wallet full of maxed out credit cards, a 100% mortgage with PMI, a house full of crap we didn't really need and 2 vacations a year to Europe. Oh, we still managed to invest in our 401k and a 529 plan for the kid, too.

Most of our friends are on the same socioeconomic level and we all enjoy a comfortable lifestyle. It's not extravagant and we don't take weekly trips to the spa or have maid service, but we're all able to take annual vacations and the big boys (our husbands) are able to afford their assorted toys and extracurricular activities (ATV's, golfing, etc.)

IMO, 75k for a young, single guy is an outstanding salary in Nashville. If you are smart, invest wisely and don't spend every penny you make, you'll be sitting pretty financially in a few years.
well 75K 10 years ago is at least 100K in todays dollars

Old 04-03-2009, 08:54 AM

256 posts, read 888,832 times
My husband works in the IT field and he makes good money...It is good that those are kinda still in demand..Congrats
BTW where is the job located that will help out...once again my husband works in greenhills and he commutes form white house tn...

Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyjay View Post
I am offered a job in Nashville recently and it pays $75K per year.

What's the quality of life in Nashville? Is it considered as low/middle/high income?

I'm from another state and not familiar with those information. Cost of living calculator was not very helpful so far.

Thank you very much.
Nashville isn't cheap in its category of southeast cities....housing is pricey and depending on county, taxes get up there.
It's a nice place but no bargain.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post

What's a DH?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran_smith View Post
My husband works in the IT field and he makes good money...It is good that those are kinda still in demand..Congrats
BTW where is the job located that will help out...once again my husband works in greenhills and he commutes form white house tn...
White House - now that's a commute!
We almost bought up there but the traffic off 65 was pretty scary - too many big rigs for my taste..By the way, have you had many tornados up that way? are you on the Robertson or Sumner Side? WH is pretty..do you shop in KY?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:17 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyjay View Post
what's a good amount to raise a family if there is only one earner and the family has 2 kids? I'm currently single, but do plan to have kids.
If you're planning on having kids, and planning on being the only one working, NOW is the time to not live like a single bachelor, but save or start to buy the house you want to have for those 2 kids. If you keep your credit card debt low, and are buying the house now - or massively saving for that house - it will be alot easier when the 2 kids come along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
White House - now that's a commute!
We almost bought up there but the traffic off 65 was pretty scary - too many big rigs for my taste..By the way, have you had many tornados up that way? are you on the Robertson or Sumner Side? WH is pretty..do you shop in KY?
My hubby might be transferring to Nashville, and while he was down there doing fill in work, he had no problems with the traffic going north on 65. He thought the traffic south was worse.

We were looking online at houses in the White House area as we can't seem to afford anything in a nice area in Nashville. Were looking online at White's Creek but then was told it's a very rough area. So who knows where we will end up.

Sorry for going OT.

Last edited by mbmouse; 04-05-2009 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-03-2009, 07:37 PM

140 posts, read 470,889 times
Quote:
What's a DH?
darling husband.
or something to do with husband.
her husband basically.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:06 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,716 times
Quote:
Nashville isn't cheap in its category of southeast cities....housing is pricey and depending on county, taxes get up there.
It's a nice place but no bargain.

This is true. I agree especially here in Davidson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville