U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 03:42 PM

749 posts, read 1,681,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
Not necessarily true. It depends on what you actually do for a living. I relocated from New York and my salary is essentially the same in Nashville. The reason is because strong talent and skill sets are difficult for companies to find down here for certain lines of work. I know several companies in Nashville where most of the top management and senior level positions are filled by people from big cities (i.e. New York, Chicago, LA, etc) with global, public-company experience.
Federal Government positions take a huge cut in pay here in TN.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-07-2009, 05:03 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,855,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4life View Post
I guess that's why they want me here in Nashville since I relocated from Orange County, CA (for strong talent & senior level position). By the way, eventhough I've been with the fed gov't for 20 years I had to take a huge pay cut coming here.

It is very refeshing to hear from someone with 1st hand experience!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 PM

137 posts, read 591,795 times
Quote:
I guess that's why they want me here in Nashville since I relocated from Orange County, CA (for strong talent & senior level position). By the way, eventhough I've been with the fed gov't for 20 years I had to take a huge pay cut coming here.
what do you mean by "huge" ? Which agency of the govt do you work 4 ?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:50 AM

625 posts, read 1,710,987 times
Quote:
You WILL get a big pay cut!!
Wrong. I make the same in Nashville as in suburban Chicago. My wife gets paid ~98% of what she would have made in Chicago. It all depends on your field.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 AM

625 posts, read 1,710,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Aside from the "shee shee" factor of telling your friends that you live in brentwood or franklin...would sumner county compare and rate well? The test scores in the hendersonville seem about the same.

What am I missing?
The schools up there are probably close to the Williamson County schools. What you are missing is convenience. For those that don't care a ton about shopping and dining, Sumner county would be great.

What you are missing is there are exponentially more shopping/dining options available in Williamson county than all the other outlying counties combined. People will come on here saying "look at this one mall in Hendersonville", or "What about Providence in Mt. Juliet?" These areas aren't even in the same league. As Vincent Vega said, "It's not even the same sport."

Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,634,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
The schools up there are probably close to the Williamson County schools. What you are missing is convenience. For those that don't care a ton about shopping and dining, Sumner county would be great.

What you are missing is there are exponentially more shopping/dining options available in Williamson county than all the other outlying counties combined. People will come on here saying "look at this one mall in Hendersonville", or "What about Providence in Mt. Juliet?" These areas aren't even in the same league. As Vincent Vega said, "It's not even the same sport."
Thanks TR--thats exactly what I wanted to know. We live a terrific albeit, rural area (Big box stores and major shopping is 25-35 minutes away...and the first thing when we move(wherever that may be) is to look for the convenience...everything should be within a 10-15 minute drive.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks TR--thats exactly what I wanted to know. We live a terrific albeit, rural area (Big box stores and major shopping is 25-35 minutes away...and the first thing when we move(wherever that may be) is to look for the convenience...everything should be within a 10-15 minute drive.

Well, that sure does describe Murfreesboro.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:20 PM

137 posts, read 591,795 times
Quote:
Aside from the "shee shee" factor of telling your friends that you live in brentwood or franklin...would sumner county compare and rate well? The test scores in the hendersonville seem about the same.

What am I missing?
the big advantages of more upscale and affluent areas are better schools, lower crime, more educated and financially established population, better funded local government, nicer shopping and entertainment. It's all a result of being in an area with higher household income.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM

2,327 posts, read 6,585,913 times
Quote:
You really need to come down for a week or so and log some extensive time in each of the areas you're considering (i.e. Cool Springs, Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, Murfreesboro, etc.) Only then will you have any idea where you will feel most "at home." While this site is a great resource, everyone here (including me) is biased toward their preferred area of town.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user123455 View Post
the big advantages of more upscale and affluent areas are better schools, lower crime, more educated and financially established population, better funded local government, nicer shopping and entertainment. It's all a result of being in an area with higher household income.
I beg to differ on a few points. More upscale and affluent does not mean better schools or necessarily better educated or even better shopping. You are trying the paint the picture that money equals superiority. That is unfortunate and false. It is such reasoning that reinforces the well-earned reputation of certain towns/cities in the Nashville area.

Last edited by Steve_TN; 04-09-2009 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville