U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:41 PM

98 posts, read 259,042 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering about maybe moving down there with my kids,I had a realtor send a mls and there cheaper and nicer..

Pretty much im just wondering whats the climate like,taxes,cost of living etc.Ive done a lot of research but talking to people from there is diffrent.Is there a part to stay away from,do tornados rip through this area??

Really just looking at pros and cons thanks everyone
God bless
Rate this post positively

Old 03-29-2009, 06:01 AM

222 posts, read 534,481 times
Certainly a much milder winter - we had two snowfalls this past winter. One was melted and gone by 10 in the morning, the other lasted a day or so. Seemed like the "normal" daily temp was in the 40's. It will get hot and humid in the summer months. Real estate taxes are much cheaper - there are county and city taxes so if you live in the city limits they will be a bit higher. Gasoline is about 30 cents per gallon cheaper than northern IL. No state income tax. Food, restaurants are pretty much the same cost. Utilities are cheaper. As for tornadoes, I would guess that you read about the storms that hit Murfreesboro yesterday so that is something to consider.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:30 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,780,844 times
All the things Dave said are correct. I don't know much about day to day living in Chicago. So I will just tell you what I like about Murfreesboro and what I think might be a con to you.

Pros:

1: Cheaper cost of living
2: Family and kid friendly
3: Nice people
4: Good Schools
5: Plenty of shopping and restaurants. You won't have to drive far for any need.
6: Gas is cheaper
7: Great parks and recreation dept
8: Very clean litte city/suburb
9: Well kept neighborhoods and homes
10: Great quality of life
11: Homes in all price ranges from low to high

Cons:

1: Not really walkable
2: No mass transit
3: Good amount of traffic in some areas (not gridlock though)
4: Confusing grid system in some areas (at least to me)

As far as places to stay away from, I would not buy or rent anything without looking at it first and driving around. Of course some areas are more desirable then others. If you give us a specific area of interest we could tell you more. I moved here from FL and it's been a very positive experience for me all the way around. If there is anything else I can answer for you please let me know.

Good luck in your continued research Outlaw!

Old 03-29-2009, 03:53 PM

Thanks a lot for the replys a move when kids are involved you know what I mean.I thought the gas prices were similar im on the southside of chicago they range from 2.29,2.00 right now.Depends on where you fill up.

the tax bracket is 7.25 something like that right in that area??I see the crme rate is high a 7,and there are viloent crimes..I came from rough areas to nice areas in the city of wind so nothing scares me off.

I just dont want gang vilonce,and people kicking in my door,ive been through the area I plan a visit soon..

Seems like the pros are better than the cons these winters here are rough,it snowed last night.Driving around talking to people you can get a picture hopefully I can get a better picture of what we might be looking at.Thank you guys..

Old 03-29-2009, 04:47 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,780,844 times
The gas here right now is $1.82 a gallon. The sales tax is 9.75 and groceries here are taxed. That is a small trade off for way less property taxes, utilities, car insurance etc.

I have never witnessed gang anything in the boro. I have been here 1 1/2 years. I came from an area in FL where gang tags abound and so did the crime, so these are things I would notice. You paid plenty to live there too, so it's ashame what is happening in So FL now. There really isn't one place in the boro that makes me even a little uncomfortable. You really need to visit, look around and decide for yourself if it is a good fit for you.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:48 PM

From what it seems afforadable to i know the middle of tenn is more likely to get Toranados etc correct??

Really sounds like a nice place to live I drove by the exit before.I had one realtor tell me some schools were better than others??

Lovin the gas prices,whats winter like hit around novermber to April?

You guys are nice helping me you can only do so much for your family I do a 100 percent..research to me is key you guys are great.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:04 AM

4,740 posts, read 9,587,331 times
outlaw79 - if somebody kicks in your door in Murfreesboro you can shoot them, which is probably why it doesn't happen as often as in Chicago. Many people are (legally) armed.

As for schools - I've heard that the 'Triple Siegel' is the most desirable: Siegel ES, MS, and HS. Discovery School (ES) is a magnet / academy, and Murfreesboro is talking about starting up a Middle School magnet / academy.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:44 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,892,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4life View Post
You WILL get a big pay cut!!
But, the cost of living is cheaper.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:21 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,648,190 times
Aside from the "shee shee" factor of telling your friends that you live in brentwood or franklin...would sumner county compare and rate well? The test scores in the hendersonville seem about the same.

What am I missing?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 PM

297 posts, read 1,021,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4life View Post
You WILL get a big pay cut!!
Not necessarily true. It depends on what you actually do for a living. I relocated from New York and my salary is essentially the same in Nashville. The reason is because strong talent and skill sets are difficult for companies to find down here for certain lines of work. I know several companies in Nashville where most of the top management and senior level positions are filled by people from big cities (i.e. New York, Chicago, LA, etc) with global, public-company experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville