U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:29 PM

66 posts, read 156,041 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Michigan and finding a teaching job here is nearly impossible. I just recently graduated last year with a degree in Elementary Education. I was looking into moving out of state, possibly to the Nashville area and was interested in learning about the schools and area. I have started looking into some schools and their openings but there's so many different districts and counties and since I'm not from the area, I don't know which areas would be good to look into and which to stay away from. If anyone is a former teacher, or current teacher, and has any advice, I'd appreciate it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 06:43 PM

2,328 posts, read 6,645,220 times
Personally, I wouldn't teach at a Metro (Davidson County) school unless I was allowed to carry a firearm. A student pulled heat on a Metro teacher a few weeks ago, and that was at one the better Metro high schools. Read the Tennessean online every day and you'll get a good feel for how (un)safe Metro schools are.

The top-rated school system in Middle Tennessee is Williamson County, but Sumner, Wilson, and Rutherford Counties have excellent school systems as well.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM

222 posts, read 600,770 times
I teach in a Metro middle school, and I don't feel unsafe. I do think there are some middle and high schools within the system that might make me feel more uncomfortable though. I can't imagine feeling unsafe in one of the elementary schools. Since that's your area, I would think you would not have to worry about that. Feel free to send me a direct message if you see a job posting about a particular school and want my opinion about it. Good luck to you!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:21 PM

66 posts, read 156,041 times
Thanks! I noticed there is a job fair for Rutherford County in April and since I'll be down there anyways I might check it out. Has anyone been to this before? Any schools in that area I should focus on.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,442 times
You asked a valid question as I am moving from Michigan as well. I was going to attend the fair too and was looking into it. However there isnt a whole lot of info provided. April 18th Spiegel High school 9-12pm is all I can gather.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:58 PM

2,404 posts, read 5,054,037 times
Davidson for elementary shouldn't be as bad as Pimpy makes out. Also look at Williamson, Rutherford, Sumner, Cheatam, Robertson and Wilson Counties. Also Franklin Special School District which is located within Williamson but a separate school district.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 PM

764 posts, read 2,406,301 times
We have a brand new elementary school opening in Rutherford County this comng fall - Brown's Chapel Elementary - and since it will draw teachers from surrounding schools, there will be quite a few openings here. My children attend Stewarts Creek Elementary and I know of at least 3 openings for teachers there for next year because they are going to the new school.

Rutherford County elementary schools in Rutherford that I would focus on is Cedar Grove, Rock Springs, David Youree, Rockvale, Stewarts Creek, Smyrna Elementary - NOT to be confused with Smyrna Primary! - Wilson and the 2 magnet schools, Thurman Francis and McFadden.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:40 AM

195 posts, read 496,509 times
I think there may be an opening for a science teacher in Murfreesboro City Schools, as the current teacher had to go if the recent charges prove his wrongdoings.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 PM

6 posts, read 28,511 times
Hi EW03, I'm in the same position as you are...moving to Nashville from NYC with MSEd in Childhood Ed. I am seriously considering attending the Open House on April 18 but unsure what is needed to attend...and if it would cater to childhood teachers or if it is only for high school teachers.
In terms of job searching, what have you been doing thus far? PM if you'd prefer. It's a pretty exciting and overwhelming process! Hopefully, we can both land a job by fall.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 PM

2,865 posts, read 8,921,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashter View Post
I think there may be an opening for a science teacher in Murfreesboro City Schools, as the current teacher had to go if the recent charges prove his wrongdoings.
I'm sure he is History!

Diane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville