Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 03:48 PM

13 posts, read 49,852 times

Advertisements

I'm a personal trainer/musician and am looking to relocate in September. I would like to work in a busy, athletic gym that also has a positive clientele base of people within the industry (whether artists themselves or producers/behind the scenes.) However I am used to working with athletes and would love a gym atmosphere that isn't just family oriented and just for people looking to "lift a few weights here and there", but people that are somewhat serious about staying and getting in shape, and can afford it.

I've investigated both of these gyms; YMCA Green Hills (was told it was busiest and nicest) and goPerformance and Fitness in Downtown (very athletic and my style of training) I am looking to enjoy my day job but also meet and network with some industry people (or work them out!) and was wondering what some locals thought.

Green Hills? Catch the industry folk while they are working out on their way home to their suburban mansion.

OR

goPerformance: Unique gym centered in downtown that may have some morning and lunchtime execs trying to stay in great shape...

Any thoughts are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 05:26 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
I can't compare the two because I've never been to goPerformance. I do go the the Green Hills YMCA about five days a week and have been going there for almost twenty years.
Although the Green Hills Y is very family oriented it is also large enough where you have large areas for adults that are dedicated to cardio and weight lifting where children are not allowed. I would estimate that there is at least 6000sf dedicated to weight lifting and close to that much dedicated to cardio. They do a very good job of maintaining equipment and replacing it on a regular basis. I have been there at all times of the day and would guess that there are anywhere from about two to eight personal trainers there working at any one time.
As far as networking possibilities, two of the more recognizable music industry people that use Green Hills are Vince Gill and Amy Grant. There are also many songwriters and industry execs that use it.
As I understand it, the personal trainers are on staff and are not independent contractors. I don't know how the compensation works as their arrangement with the YMCA.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:50 PM

13 posts, read 49,852 times
Thank you so much for the info! Seems like the goPerformance place is a little newer but I am looking for all the info you gave. Thank you again and maybe I'll see you there in the fall!
Take care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville