Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 24,369 times

Advertisements

So I may be going to Vanderbilt grad school in the fall, and I'm wondering what kind of churches are available for college/young adults. I know most students going to vandy aren't practicing Christians, but I presume there's gotta be a lot in the overall area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,335,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty_the_Mad View Post
So I may be going to Vanderbilt grad school in the fall, and I'm wondering what kind of churches are available for college/young adults. I know most students going to vandy aren't practicing Christians, but I presume there's gotta be a lot in the overall area?
Huh? What is the source of that data please?

Old 04-04-2009, 01:00 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,337,190 times
Quote:
Brentwood united Methodist has a young peoples group called the Loop. They also have a 9:45 service on Sundays mornings that has Contemporary Christian music, so it brings quite a number of young people. It is the Church I belong to.

THE LOOP | nashville - Home

Brentwood UMC

Diane G

Old 04-05-2009, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 24,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Huh? What is the source of that data please?
Unless the college is seminary, I assume this to be a valid assumption. To assume otherwise would be saying more than 50% of students are following what the bible says. I can't see this being true. Care to show me I'm wrong?

Old 04-05-2009, 05:19 PM

427 posts, read 1,302,832 times
Quote:
Unless the college is seminary, I assume this to be a valid assumption. To assume otherwise would be saying more than 50% of students are following what the bible says. I can't see this being true. Care to show me I'm wrong?
Most Vandy students identify as Christian.

Whether Christians always follow the Bible or not may be debatable.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:22 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,335,474 times
Quote:
Sorry, I am not here to disprove individuals' assumptions. This link may help you, or at least provide a starting point, though: Center for the Study of Religion and Culture

Old 04-05-2009, 07:35 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,131,184 times
There are all sort of churches and synagogues in the general area . . . Protestant, Catholic (the cathedral of Nashville is next door to Vanderbilt), Jewish, and others. There are big churches and small churches, churches affiliated with national organizations and independent churches. Having a choice of churches shouldn't be a problem in Nashville.

If nothing else, you could walk across the street to Belmont U. I'm sure they have some sort of services there.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:37 PM

43 posts, read 304,714 times
You might also want to check with Vanderbilt Religious Life office. They have several sets of community worship sessions every week.

Remember, vanderbilt is in the south- that means most people identify as Christian, whether or not they follow the bible. You may be surprised by the religious life on campus.

There are tons of churches in the area... depends on what kind of worship you want and what denomination you are looking for. Edgehill UMC is a lively and welcoming community and is a few blocks from campus. They're also serious about social justice and compassion for all creatures, if you're interested in those things.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:17 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,585,364 times
There a PLENTY of churches of all denoiminations in the area. My first concern is to watch the non-denominational churches. Be sure they are what they say they are. I am not by any means discounting non-denominational churches, but it is very easy for a cult or similar organization to hide itself under the "non-denominational" umbrella.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,003,718 times
Quote:
Show me a church where more than 50% of active members actually follow what the Bible says. I know I don't, and I identify myself as Christian. If you examined your own life, you would probably find that you don't, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville