Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:33 PM

597 posts, read 2,100,464 times

Advertisements

Well, that's a relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:56 PM

933 posts, read 2,731,226 times
Ha, amen brother.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,137 times
Great neighborhood, Eastland. I have stayed on this sidefor over 6 years with no problems

Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 AM

9 posts, read 16,348 times
To get a feel for any neighborhood,just drive around on Friday or Saturday night,(when the weather is nice) from about 11pm-2am and see who's out and about. Also look for graffiti. It can be an eye-opener.

You can also look at the police dept's crime maps. However,keep in mind that any big city is skewing their stats to make it look safer. Can't afford to scare tourists away.

My 2 cents.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,648 times
Hi! I found your post and wanted to ask you a question. I am considering renting a house on the 3700 block of Burrus off Hart. I just moved to TN from LA and am on a very strict budget my first year. I drove around the neighborhood and see that it is a mixed bag. Can you give me your opinion of this neighborhood. My main concern is safety. The house has an alarm system and I have a dog.....thoughts? Thanks!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,822,867 times
^I don't know enough about that street to say, but I did search our crime forum & it yielded no results for "Burrus" which is good.

I'll also add that I'm still in the neighborhood, still single & still loving it here

Courtney

Old 10-09-2010, 06:51 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,134,350 times
People on this site are hilariously and maddeningly reactionary. Folks, the city is not actually the Mad Max-style nightmarescape you so frequently make it out to be. I imagine the bulk of people on this site typing their thoughts on the urban environment in a dark nursing home room in Brentwood with a shotgun on their laps, daring to leer out into the sunlight once a day through a slit in the blinds.

I live south of Shelby and bike around all parts of East Nashville well into the night with absolutely no problems, aside from the periodic stray dog. I've walked home from Downtown all the way to 19th St. numerous times. I take the bus routinely in the early morning and late evening. I am not naive, and I recognize that there are potential dangers out there. But I mitigate those dangers, and I have yet to be murdered.

The way people pull out totally irrelevant anecdotes about isolated crimes they heard a second cousin of a friend tell them about...it reminds me of an exchange on the Simpsons.

Officer Eddie: (reading Steve Sax's license) Well well, Steve Sax, from New York City.
Officer Lou: I heard some guy got killed in New York City and they never solved the case. But you wouldn't know anything about that now, would you, Steve?
(Lou and Eddie laugh)
Steve Sax: But there are hundreds of unsolved murders in New York City.
Officer Lou: You don't know when to keep your mouth shut, do you, Saxxy Boy?

Wow, one person got murdered in a population of over 30 to 40,000? That increases my change of being murdered to over 0.00003%!!!

As a previous post said, the real keys to me not being killed -- or even mugged! -- in 27 years of living in "transitioning" "urban" neighborhoods have been: not buying or selling drugs, not picking up prostitutes, not sleeping with the girlfriends of knife- or gun-wielding people, and not being an idiot.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,715 times
What is it about section 8 ,not everybody is nasty and living with roaches and mice and bed bugs .i know im not.i can not find a decent place to live , my husband left me so there's just me and my dog and im not getting rid of him he's the only protection i have. And no body wants to rent to you if you have a dog .some people just mess things up for people who are trying to do the rt thing and get ahead. The homes on the section 8 listing i would not let my dog live there .is there any body out there who are willing and can help people who are trying to live rt.i'm not rich and i donot have money but i do have a good heart and i do help when i'm able .ihave been in walmart when some was short and i gave the money and was so happy to be able to do so.what is wrong with people today the ones who can help and dont . Do they not know that their shoes can be made to fit the unfortunate .god is always wacthing.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM

34 posts, read 65,024 times
inglewood is not very nice, nor is it close to vandy, or "hip" and safe. It's not the "cool" part of east nashville. if you don't want to be around rich people, i don't know why you'd go to vandy, but there are locations closer that are relatively dumpy but still somewhat safe. Since you have a penchant for living like a poor person, you may want to look into the edgehill homes, which are run down and trashy, but close to similarly trendy 12th South District, and 5-10 minutes from vandy, vs 20-30 from inglewood. There is a great (well, fairly shoddy-great) tower of housing project apartments right across from centennial park and also right next to vandy. prime location.

P.S. -- People from East Nashville are waaaay snobbier and stuck up than people from, say, Belle Meade. In their own way. There's nothing "hip" about having a gun in your face at 2 a.m., especially if you support gun control.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,260,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter_mangina View Post
inglewood is not very nice, nor is it close to vandy, or "hip" and safe. It's not the "cool" part of east nashville. if you don't want to be around rich people, i don't know why you'd go to vandy, but there are locations closer that are relatively dumpy but still somewhat safe. Since you have a penchant for living like a poor person, you may want to look into the edgehill homes, which are run down and trashy, but close to similarly trendy 12th South District, and 5-10 minutes from vandy, vs 20-30 from inglewood. There is a great (well, fairly shoddy-great) tower of housing project apartments right across from centennial park and also right next to vandy. prime location.

P.S. -- People from East Nashville are waaaay snobbier and stuck up than people from, say, Belle Meade. In their own way. There's nothing "hip" about having a gun in your face at 2 a.m., especially if you support gun control.
Yeah, I'm going to have to say you don't know what you're talking about, chief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville