Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 20,161 times

Advertisements

I live in Hendersonville's Mansker Farms subdivision (just off exit 2 of Vietnam Vets). I just accepted a full-time job offer in Brentwood's Maryland Farms area. My employer is willing to let me work reasonable off hours so that I can avoid rush hour traffic. I would prefer to start and finish my work day earlier rather than later.

Can anyone please tell me what is the latest time I can leave my house if I expect to beat rush hour traffic? And if I leave my house at that time, at roughly what time would I reach my destination, assuming I drive the speed limit? Also, would I beat the afternoon rush hour in the opposite direction if I were to leave 8.5 hours later, or is there a bigger "rush hour" window at one time of day than the other?

I hope that made sense. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 05:43 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
I live in Inglewood (near Briley), and have worked in Maryland Farms for nearly 9 years.

I did several years of 8am to 5pm, and you don't want to get off of work any later than 4pm. After that, you're going to sit in traffic getting out of the area. There were days that it would be 5:30 before I even made it to Walgreen's at Franklin Rd & Old Hickory. I finally got my hours changed to 7am to 4pm, and it's a much easier drive. (although getting off at 3:30 would be even better)

If they would allow you to work 7am to 3:30 or 4pm, that's your best bet. If you can leave your house by 6am, you will be in Maryland Farms by 7am.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:53 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
If your work day starts at 7am, you would probably be safe leaving as late as 6:20am and still being able to drive the speed limit. I-65 between Briley/Dickerson and Trinity Lane doesn't start to get sluggish until closer to 7am, and that is the only traffic snag on your morning commute. Leave earlier the first few days to be safe, but barring any major accidents, you probably aren't looking at any longer than a 35-40 minute commute.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:55 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
I always allow some extra time in case there's a wreck I need to get around.

Also, I would by-pass the Trinity Lane area altogether by using Ellington Parkway to get downtown. It's much quicker.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 AM

6 posts, read 20,161 times
Default Thank you!

Thanks, everyone. That's exactly what I needed

Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,566 times
This was a good post to stumble upon. We are currently in the processing of moving to Hendersonville. I also accepted a position in the Maryland Farms business park of Brentwood. Everyone keeps trying to discourage me from moving to Hendersonville, telling me that I should look in Franklin or Brentwood instead, because the "drive will kill me." We really wanted to be near the lake in Hendersonville, plus I have friends who live there. Am I crazy for being stubborn and wanting to move to Hendersonville and drive to Brentwood every day? ??

Old 07-05-2010, 03:33 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhollister View Post
This was a good post to stumble upon. We are currently in the processing of moving to Hendersonville. I also accepted a position in the Maryland Farms business park of Brentwood. Everyone keeps trying to discourage me from moving to Hendersonville, telling me that I should look in Franklin or Brentwood instead, because the "drive will kill me." We really wanted to be near the lake in Hendersonville, plus I have friends who live there. Am I crazy for being stubborn and wanting to move to Hendersonville and drive to Brentwood every day? ??
I know many people living in Hendersonville and working in Brentwood. It's not too bad considering Maryland Farms is right off the interstate.

Many people live in Murfreesboro and commute to downtown Nashville and Murfreesboro is farther from downtown than Hendersonville to Brentwood!

Old 07-05-2010, 04:25 PM

213 posts, read 769,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I live in Inglewood (near Briley), and have worked in Maryland Farms for nearly 9 years.

I did several years of 8am to 5pm, and you don't want to get off of work any later than 4pm. After that, you're going to sit in traffic getting out of the area. There were days that it would be 5:30 before I even made it to Walgreen's at Franklin Rd & Old Hickory. I finally got my hours changed to 7am to 4pm, and it's a much easier drive. (although getting off at 3:30 would be even better)

If they would allow you to work 7am to 3:30 or 4pm, that's your best bet. If you can leave your house by 6am, you will be in Maryland Farms by 7am.
I also just got a job in Maryland Farms (though not coming from Hendersonville - coming from I-24West).

I need to arrive at work between 7:30-8:30am. I was going to shoot for 7:30 and hope that I can leave at 4:30 to try to beat the traffic.

But it sounds like if you can't leave MFarms by 4, then 4:30 is going to be no different than 5 or 5:30 - is that a safe assumption?

Are there any alternatives? Someone had mentioned perhaps back roads to the next exit down as it may be easier to get on the hwy there as opposed to Old Hickory, but of course you are really backtracking if you need to go north.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhollister View Post
I don't think it's crazy at all. As Vive has said, there are a lot of folks who make the commute. I used to commute to Cool Springs...it's not a lot of fun, but I made it work. Maryland Farms to Hville isn't so bad. It's only about 30 minutes round trip further than Downtown/West End and no one seems to think driving downtown from Hville is crazy.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 AM

11 posts, read 28,119 times
Keep in mind that if you are close to the lake, it can take you awhile to get to the bypass--up to 10 minutes depending on your location. Also, Mansker Farms is at exit 2, and if you are on the Indian Lake peninsula at exit 7, it will also extend your commute time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville