Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 05:21 PM

26 posts, read 76,935 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am about to make a dream of mine reality. I'm packin' up and movin' to the Nashville area. I've been counting down the months, weeks and days. I am so excited and a little scared but in a good way. In about 7 weeks I will be making the move. I have visited this forum many times and have found it a great source of information. I can't thank you all enough for that. However, I do have a few questions of my own and would really appreciate it if someone would be willing to lend me some much needed advice on a few things.

I am a single female in my 30's working toward my second degree in the Health Science field. I am looking to transfer to one of the colleges that offer Dental Hygiene as part of their academic curriculum. My question is which institutions are ranked higher in providing quality education in the field of Dental Hygiene? Any help on this would be great or a list of schools that offer this program would also be helpful.

Next, I was wondering about the Area/Neighborhoods to live. I am looking for an apartment to rent in a VERY SAFE AND NICE NEIGHBORHOOD. Although I will be attending college (which college at this point is undetermined) I am not opposed to commuting back and forth if needed in order to be able to live in a decent area. I have been looking at the Brentwood, Murfreesboro, Franklin, Thompson Station, Spring Hill and Bellevue areas. What are these areas like and would you recommend relocating to any of these areas. Also are there any other areas you might recommend.

My next question is geared toward Jobs/Employment. I have had a lot of friends and family express concern about venturing to the area without a secure job in place. However, I have planned ahead for just such circumstances. Yet I am curious about the job market and the unemployment rate. In your opinion is the job market favorable? Furthermore, I have a degree in Mass Media and have 10 years experience in this field. Are there opportunities to obtain a position in this field such as with a Network, Recording Studio, Production Company etc? If so is there a trade secret to go about searching and applying for these opportunities. I have had a heck of a time trying to find any opportunities in this field... Am I not looking in the right places??? Any suggestions???

Finally, in about 5 weeks I will be making a trip to the area to look around, visit schools and find a place to live. I would like to find a hotel that is centrally located to the areas I mentioned earlier so that I can navigate to each area with a little more ease. I would like to try and save a little money while on this trip yet I don't want to end up in a sleazy Hotel either. Do you have any suggestions on a good hotel that is affordably priced and in a good area? I did do a little research in this area and found some Hotels in the Brentwood area: Brentwood Suites Hotel, and the Red Roof Inn Nashville Brentwood. Do you know if either of these two establishments is worth reserving a room with?

Well, that's all I have for now. Thank you so much for any and all the help you can provide on these issues. I'm looking forward to the big move and to start living my dream!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 06:44 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,208,916 times
I would probably suggest The Tennessee Technology Center (either Nashville or Dickson) or one of the community colleges which offers a dental hygiene program. I would probably stay away from the "commercial colleges" like Remington and Hi-Tech. I don't work in this field, so I don't have any detailed recommendations.

As for the job market, Nashville has a fairly bustling and diverse economy. Finding a job shouldn't be a problem, whether you could get one in mass media is a different story. There are many radio stations and recording studios and several corporate headquarters (HCA for example) here, the trouble is that Belmont has a great music/communications program (Vanderbilt probably does too) and there is probably more people in the field than there are jobs for them. I'm not an expert is this either, however.

The places you listed would all be okay to live (I live in Bellevue). Murfreeesboro, Spring Hill and Thompson Station would be a long commute to Nashville however. If I were you, I would find how where I wanted to go to school first, then decide on the area to live. That would be easier on you in the future. For example, if you did go to school at the TTC on White Bridge Road, then Bellevue would be a great place to live. If instead, you went to school at Volunteer State, then Hendersonville or Gallatin would be a better choice.

There are lots of places to stay. Any of the places in the areas you mentioned would probably be okay (basically if the place looks okay, it probably is; if it looks like a flea-bag hotel, it probably is). Just stay away from those on Murfreesboro Road (and don't stop and ask a girl along Murfreesboro Road for directions . . . unless you've got $60 and are looking for a good time :-). Brentwood would be a good choice, although the places there would probably be more expensive. There are a few in Bellevue; In-Town Suites and Hampton Inn come to mind. They have a weekly rate I believe.

Last edited by alleycat; 04-08-2007 at 07:14 PM..

Old 04-08-2007, 08:18 PM

Alleycat,

Loved the comment about the girl on the side of the road (priceless) lol.

As for Schools: what about Tennessee State University, Middle Tennessee State University at Murfreesboro, or Lipscomb University. I'm thinking about getting a degree in this field which would mean a 4 year university; however, an associate’s degree at a community college could also work for the time being. By the way what's up with Remington and Hi-Tech?

As for the employment scene do you know if there is a trade forum, web pages or magazines for this particular field that would post possible job opportunities?

As for the hotels I'll take your advice and look into the two you mentioned in Bellevue.

Thank so much, I really do appreciate it……

Old 04-08-2007, 09:05 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,208,916 times
MTSU and Lipscomb are both good schools. I'm not sure what dental programs they have. TSU would work, but the school doesn't have the greatest reputation in the world. That can be a problem in some fields (like the one I'm in, engineering); but I wonder if the actually school someone attends is that big of a deal for dental hygiene.

Hi-Tech and Remington are schools in business to make money. Most of the schools like that that I'm aware of costs a lot of money and have few of the added benefits that a traditional college does.

I'm don't know about job listings. The Tennessean website might have something, I'm just not sure.

Now that I think of it, it might be Hampshire Inn rather than Hampton. In-Town Suites is right on Old Hickory Blvd. with good access to the Interstate. Really any place in Bellevue will have good access; there are two ramps to the Interstate, one on Old Hickory and another one at Highway 70. If you find some other place you think you might want to stay, post it. I can probably guess what kind of place it is just by the location. For example, if it's on West End it's probably going to be okay. If it's on Dickerson Pike, I'd say forget it (the place in question might be just fine, but I would have my doubts without knowing more). Brentwood would be more a little more convenient if you actually visit all the areas you mentioned. It would kind of be in the center.

Last edited by alleycat; 04-08-2007 at 09:37 PM..

Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 AM

Thanks alleycat

Old 04-09-2007, 12:09 AM

If anyone else has any comments or ideas I'd love to hear them also.....
Thanks to everyone that's willing to help....

Old 04-09-2007, 12:41 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,231 times
Lightbulb idontknow, you don't mention what websites you use to search for jobs

but my 2 favorites are Indeed.com and America's Job Bank .

Indeed acts like a search engine for jobs. Say you are searching for "Computer Analyst". It will then search all the job and company websites and gather up all those types of positions. I signed myself up to have the jobs sent to my mailbox daily .

I prefer the above 2 websites over Monster or Career Builder because Indeed will grab jobs posted on those 2 sites as well as CL (i.e. Craigslist) and others so that you do not (normally) have to go to each individual company website . Saves a lot of time (JMHO though) .

I commend you on all your are doing and wish you much success!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 12:44 PM

334 posts, read 1,282,247 times
I'd have to agree with Alleycat...don't stop and ask anything on Murfreesboro Road....or Dickerson Road between downton Nashville and Old Hickory Blvd....

Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,532 times
Dickerson road North of Briley Parkway isn't bad these days. They are going to break ground soon for a SuperWalmart & a Lowe's right across the street from the entrance drive to Skyline Hospital. There's talk that they are going to rename Dickerson Rd as well.

Gotta watch out for Nolensville Road as well as Murfreesboro Road.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:56 PM

Happydawglady,

Thank you for the warm wishes and future success on my current endeavors. It means a lot and it was so kind of you to say so. Oh, and I also want to thank you for the websites you listed. Everyone has been terrific and I really can't express enough, my thanks and gratitude to all of you that have been so willing to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville